What "fat" comment do you remember most?

God, this is awful- aren't people horrible!

I think, because I have always been big I almost got used to nasty comments from strangers in the street- too many to mention. It would always hurt, but was always worse when I let my guard down and allowed myself to feel good about myself , and them some guy would shout something out of a car and it would just shatter me.

These things didn't motivate me at all. If anything they made me curl up in a ball and eat more. I really believe that positivity is the biggest motivator. I remember just before I started SW I was out on New Years eve wearing a lovely green dress and two women went up to husband at the bar and asked if I was his wife because if I was he was lucky because I was beautiful- I was 19 stone and a size 22 but these women made me feel amazing and their comments inspired me to do something positive with my life, and for that I am eternally grateful to them for (and I can never thank them). This taught me a massive lesson, and now whenever I see someone who looks fantastic, regardless of their size, age, sex or whether or not I know them, I tell them.

Spread the love people- who knows how many lives you will touch

Isnt it horrid how people can be so rude - I am never nasty about people as i know how I would feel...

So many things i can think of :

Was called fatty by various over the years … when I was a kid – slim teens ..

I was a sweet shop at Liverpool street station when a girl walked in buying everything it in sight it was seem, when she joked with the two men she was with don’t worry I wont get fat – one of the men said shush and motioned looking towards me.

Last year I was offered a seat on the train I said no thanks don’t know who was more embarrassed me or the bloke ..

Riding on a bike and someone shouting at fat “ c ***” I was 3 stone lighter than now grr.

My ex use to say lose weight and I will buy you breast implants I was 12 stone went up to 14 same one who when he dumped me quoted that I never stick to anything if I really wanted to lose weight I would …
My ex ex use to say lose weight and I will marry you I was about 10 stone went up to 11 – later in life apologised - At another party standing chatting to me ex looking round and he was puffing his cheeks out to his mate , saying was talking to Lou … code for speaking to me …
Years later both wanted me, and apologised, I don’t forgive or forget.

My ex ex ex lol (I was 15) said you are fat I was 10 stone ???? got down to 8 stone 7 stopped eating because of it

Just recently had incident with someone at she was jealous I was made perm so went very strange towards me and every time I ate was hissing at me Fat … fat … fat … although before that she was like u don’t need to lose weight.

Was at a party years ago was a lot slimmer about 11 stone I would say and heard someone say “who Is Louise the fat one?”

2008 13.5 stone A e-mail between to colleagues one saying to another where is Louise gone to a hypnotist to tell her she is not fat ? I didn’t even realise that these men didn’t like me ..

Recently my darling keeps saying I eat everything and joked the house shook when I turned over in bed – (Been having back problems and putting on weight not helped) told him off now he is being supportive although I was 14 stone when I met him so he has always known me big …

People can be so nasty and thoughtless can't they? To be honest, I think often it comes from the fact that they are very insecure about themselves in some way, and picking on someone else makes them feel better about their own issues!

I have had loads of comments over the years, but actually the one that hurt the most was from my mum. About 3 years ago, she met my OH for the first (and only) time and before she said anything else, her comment was "God, you've put some weight on!" I was absolutely mortified....anyway as she lives abroad we haven't seen her since then, and it just so happens that she is coming over for a visit this weekend. Since I'm now a lot more overweight than when she last saw me, I'm not looking forward to what she may say to me!

TBH, I know she has really low self esteem as she is overweight too (more so than me actually) but it's still tough hearing this stuff...

I agree with Cocktailprincess; I always tell people if they look fab, regardless of who they are. Just wish my mum had the same philosophy!

I have just remembered another thing.
In the early 70's when the smock was in fashion and I wore them a "friend" of my mum's told her that she thought I was pregnant, and she should speak to me!
Not only was I not pregnant, I was 16 and a virgin! My mum stood up for me, but did I feel totally demoralised!!

I was seven years old and in front of the WHOLE class my teacher told me I was "too fat to be an angel like the other girls" that was why I was the narrator. It's stayed with me my whole life. I'm actually seeing a psychologist at the moment who is helping me work through some of the nasty comments I have heard in my life. It's hard but helpful. When I feel strong enough, I'm off to see that teacher to explain what she did to my self esteem. Eeek!

My dad used to tell me how fat I was when I was younger.. all the time... about how unhealthy it was....

...it isn't until a couple of years ago I realised while he was telling me that... he was actually a lot larger than I've ever been in my life!

It's funny how when you're young you don't notice these things!

xxx

My dad used to tell me how fat I was when I was younger.. all the time... about how unhealthy it was....

...it isn't until a couple of years ago I realised while he was telling me that... he was actually a lot larger than I've ever been in my life!

It's funny how when you're young you don't notice these things!

xxx

SNAP! It will always stick with me that my Dad bought me a pair of size 16 jeans when I was 12 or 13, telling my Mum I would grow into them and guffawing loudly. I'll never forget it. Guess who joined Slimming World with me when I signed up and was 2 stone heavier than me?? Yup!

Around the time South Park came out everyone thought it was hilarious to call me Caartman (sounds like Carmen, my name and we were both fat!) I don't suppose I helped that one by going round demanding everyone respect my AUTHORATAAAAH! :D

I don't pay attention anymore. Most of the people that say stuff are fat themselves, blimming ugly (and at least I can lose weight) or idiots. Don't have the time for them in my life ;)

Interesting how so many of us get comments from parents who should know better!:confused:

Love your attitude Whoopidoo...I would've quoted your last paragraph here cos I totally agree with it but I don't know how to!

But now, we are all doing something to change those negative comments, insults and opinions - we can change our appearances by losing our excess weight - but the nasty people cant change their nasty ways and minds - so for that we are the real winners in the end!

Plus - the sun is shining - so lets all smile!

xxxx

Well said Ellebear. My now ex-husband once made a derogatory comment about a rather large man and I said "How do you know he's not doing something about it and has already lost his first 5 stones?"

Oh god, I've had my fair share of these. The one that I always remember is when I was about 12, and I'd bought a poppy but lost the pin so it was in my pencil case. One of the boys saw it and shouted across the room to me "You can't eat that you know". Cue much laughter from everyone and me feeling so small.

Also when I used to work on the checkouts, even though I had a BLOODY NAME TAG, I was always called by the name of another girl who worked there who was....rather large shall we say. Used to make me cry that people got us confused.

Argh, it angers me when people think they can comment. Random Strangers, people in cars, boys in nightclubs. If I had more courage I'd punch the ignorant *******. As it is, I try to hold my head high and take comfort in the fact whatever size I am, I will always be the better person.

Back