What "fat" comment do you remember most?

on my 18th birthday ( bear in ming i was only 9stone 7) i was in town celebrating and i had one of those sashes on. Some guy came over and said 18 wot ???? stone ! never forgot it and thats where my yo yo ing started :mad: 12 years later and 7 heavier i wont go out in town

my brother always calls me fatty and during a row with my sil (we cnt stand each other) called me a f***ing fat bi**h- wouldnt mind if she was an 8 but shes an 18's herself

I remember when I had just had my second baby. I had struggled with my weight all my life, and had put on 4stone in pregnancy. Six weeks after the birth, much of it was still there. My hubie wnated to go out, I didn't felt too big, and tired. Eventually, I pulled on the only trousers that fit. I looked to husband for reassurnace, who said, 'it's not the jeans that makes your bum look big, it's the size of your arse. Come on I want a pint!'. Hmmmmm. We are separated now!!

Lynda

Hmm this is difficult, my mum is probably my worst critic, although she doesn't say things "direct" to me. Its usually something like, oooo you should see my neighbour, shes lost loads of weight recently, she doesn't waddle anymore, how is your healthy eating going" Or if she rings and I am eating something, she quizzes what am I eating. If I am at her house, she will offer everyone a cake, except me. It sounds like I am being petty, but I know they are digs at me:rolleyes:

"IMAGINE if you were slim what sort of man you could get!"

x

I get that all the time! So annoying.

Today at work one of the old men (i am a community carer) said to his wife "Another fat one, why are all the carers so large"

He is hard of hearing and probably didn't realise how loud he was saying it.

Comments like that don't upset me though. I know i am large and he is only pointing out the obvious.

I have been a big girl since the age of about 12/13... I said to my mum a few times that I wanted to loose weight and everytime she just said "You're fine just the way you are. You don't need to loose any weight"
When I got to college I met a girl called Fred (some nutcase who's real name is Felicity)... She's a very upfront, honest, in your face kind of person, but with no intention of trying to hurt anyone. I asked her one day if she thought I was fat and she just plainly said "Yeah". A couple of days later she asked me if I wanted to join the college gym with her... This was her way of helping me feel better...

I've known her for 6 years now, and she has said and done a few things that have upset me about my weight... like jiggling the fat on my arms and laughing... she even said to me one day (when I was single) "I've got a mate that would love you. I think you should go out with him... he's got a thing for bigger girls"...

I am pleased to have her in my life though... as I know that whenever I need brutal honesty I can always go to her :)

I have had the "Imagine what kind of a bloke you could get if you lost weight" so many times that now I simply reply I don't want a man I'm a lesbian. I'm not but it soon shuts them up.

The other one was "You'd be really pretty if you weren't so fat" yeah and you'd be alright if you weren't such a twunt.

I once had a guy cycle past me and shout "You fat b*stard" at me, but cos he was too busy turning to shout at me he didn't see the pothole in the road and went over his handle bars. Poetic justice if you ask me.

I get really annoyed at people that say "But you've got a pretty face" or "You've got a really nice personality"

I get really annoyed at people that say "But you've got a pretty face" or "You've got a really nice personality"

It's kind of like a way to slip in a comment about your weight I feel, like they don't actually mean you're that good looking they just think it's their place to comment.

I had a former employer ask me once if I had always been large - for a number of reasons I didn't work for him for long!

I remember one lady I worked with, who was a real hard worker, was turned down for a promotion in another department. She was actually told it was because of her weight as she was quite large, and the skinny manager actually said that she didn't employ fat people as they are lazy! That was many years ago, but nowdays she would not have got away with it!

Back