What "fat" comment do you remember most?

My parents have never really commented on my weight until I lost it all. But I remember when I was about 16 my dad came to pick me up from gymnastics and he said 'You'll have to be careful eating those crisps Thunderthighs'. I was mortified. It's the only time he's ever mentioned my weight and at that time I was size 12. I know he was only joking but with the mentality of a teenage girl I assumed he really thought I was fat.

I also used to get called by another girls name. This girl was a good 6st heavier than me, so while I knew I had a weight problem (16st) this girl was massive and it devastated me that people thought I was as big as her.

I've not had that many comments, thank God.

But one that I don remember came from the innocent mouth of a child!

It was probably 13 years ago and I was over at my sister-in-laws (yes she is skinny!) and we had some cakes. Her daughter who was only 5 or 6 at the time wanted to eat another cake and I said 'You don't want another one or you'll get big and fat' and she turned to me and said (in all innocence) 'What, just like you!!!!'

Well, as you can imagine I was MORTIFIED!! :cry:

Take your pick really, I was always bigger than my sister who is a completely different body shape to me so my siblings called my chubbster when I was little.

I once went on a blind date and the guy accidently texted me a msg he meant to send to his mates while I was in the bathroom saying "Rescue me she's ugly chubby", it's fair to say I walked away from that with my confidence lower than ever.

Since then though I have had two mystery dates, one who admitted i was far better looking than my photos and had a gorgeous bod and also met my current man and he has always said he likes me the way I am and infact more so with a little extra weight as I do carry it well so I guess not all large comments are bad. Also have a lot of support from my friends who say I dress so glamorous it wouldn't matter if i was 30 stone I'd look good :)

My ex-husband used to call me 10 bellies when he wanted to humiliate me. It used to crucify me.

You can see why he is my ex can't you!

To my shame, I remember all of my fat 'jibes' for year's, and still I did nothing about my weight, thank goodness I finally saw the light and joined SW.

My DH still calls me 'Chunky' from our courting days, and we have been married 40 years now, so you can see how long I took to finally decide to lose this weight.

Better late than never I suppose, but oh dear, those lost years in between, I'll never get them back....

I was laying on the beach in turkey, when a friend of mine who is a turk came up to me and said you are so beautiful but you would be more beautiful if you lost 20 kilos! I cried for the rest of the day, I had lost a stone up until this point and was feeling so proud of myself and then it sent me into another decline, but then i thought 'who the hell are you to talk to me like that' so i picked myself up and got back on it and lost 3.5 stone, i was there last year and he didnt recognise me! ha ha! I do get comments though, like your a big girl or big bird, and when i look at whoever has said it they say 'no no no i mean your tall' but you know when you think, yeah yeah ok you didnt mean that! Probably a para thing on my part after years of being bigger xx

Oh the old "no, I meant you're tall" comments! Strugglingwrighty like you I'm 5'10'' and am sick of the number of people who tell me I "carry my weight well" because I'm tall! :mad:

Many many years ago at work, a particularly petite colleague asked me where on earth I shopped for clothes because I was so "big"! She even added that it must be tricky being tall as well......I was a size 12-14 at the time which for my height and build isn't too bad! Some people lol :)

Oooh snow fairy your right, im sick of the 'you carry your weight well' comments, people dont know what that does to you, on the outside im like yeah im lucky i carry it well, but on the inside im crying! grr xx

The one that stays with me:

I was in my local pub with my bf & his best mate and this rather nasty girl. I was having a good time and enjoying being out of the house.
Then she said "when is your baby due then, you have been pregnant for ever!"
I know that she new ollie had arrived about three months ago. She was just saying it to hurt me. It really did hurt because I had gone from being 8st to over 11. I was so unhappy about my new weight. At least Im getting there now

I have so many I could write a book!!! The one that always will stick in my mind is my Brother calling me thunder thighs as he knew it would upset me the most. As it is, he has joined SW recently too and guess what?.....started at 2stone heavier than I did!

i have a really horrible and appauling one that my boyfriend said to me before we where even going out, it will stay with me forever and makes me want to cry when i think about it. Not just because it was horrible about my body but because what he said was disgusting, he meant it as a joke but it was far from funny in my opinion. I do love him, but he is a pillock sometimes!

Another one is being picked to be Friar Tuck i the school play Robin Hood. Oh i so wished to be Maid Marion. In my dreams!!!

ive had it all the oi fat ar*e, f***ing hell look at the size on that, you need to go on a diet. ive had a man pointing me out to his wife oi love look at the size of that girl over there. ive had kids (out of the mouths of babes) say awww your fat you are, your legs look out of proportion to your body! most of the time it goes over my head but id be lying if i said it didnt hurt me. my boyfriend a few years ago in a row called me a fat cow well if i never i pushed him it the road when car was coming ( he missed it) and took it out on the windows of his car hes never said it again. although in his defense ha ha, he said he only said it to shut me up yeah right like thats gonna shut me up.

I remember writing 'love' and 'hate' poems at school many years ago - the boy we all had a crush on wrote his hate poem about me - the line that has stayed with me ever since was 'I hate your legs like tree trunks and your massive jelly arse'. Age 14 I was devastated - doubly so as I'd always thought my bottom was one of my better features. A couple of years later he 'offered' to 'do me' if I kept it quiet, as he thought my 'massive wabs' were interesting. Needless to say, I declined the offer...

You should have taken him up on his offer and when he got undressed you should have pointed to his ;) and laughed and said 'My God you have a small one' and then walked out of the room!!

:kissass2:

The one that sticks with me the most is when looking for a job as a nanny aged 18, i was not having much luck because i had no experience. My dad said maybe its because of your size and people worry about you health.
I know he was trying to be nice about it but it cut like a knife.

But to be fair almost 10 years on he is by far the most supportive when it comes to me losing weight.

There have been many,the first when a bloke commented how fat I was,although really upset I replied "well atleast I can lose weight,you can't change your face !!.Then a lady asked me when I was due , I told her I'd had the baby .... 3 years ago !!!She didn't know where to look,then continued to say she was like me and had a "high stomach" keep digging that hole !!

At least, though, you know they didn't mean as much harm when they dig holes.. maybe a little but at least they don't fire stuff back at you when challenged...those sort of people deserve a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! :)

Hmph yesterday a colleague who's only recently joined made a comment to me that I just had to share on here .... I'm doing Cambridge diet and everyone at work knows about it. At lunch time yesterday I was sitting with my shake minding my own business when this girl said to me "Why aren't you a twig? You only ever drink those shakes and I've never seen you eat!" I couldn't believe it, it's not the first time she's mentioned my not eating but it's the first time she's more or less called me fat! I told her that I'd lost 4st and wasn't interested in discussing my eating habits !!! Cheeky mare!!!

Back