What is commitment

feelinggood

Put your head underwater and keep it there for a while,youll soon realise that your 100% comited to breathing
You dont make excuses not to breathe
You dont worry about motivating yourself to breathe
You dont need to justify your desire to breathe,you just breathe
Commitment is Action
No excuses
No debate
No lengthy analysis
No whinning about how hard it is
No cowardly delays

Ive delayed made excuses,just not done What i set out to do so today i weigh 16,8 and i was Gutted But tomorow commitment and Action begin!

That's a bit disingenuous. Breathing is a biological impulse, not a choice. We do it even when unconscious, and there isn't a range of 'bad breathing choices' we can make, or indeed are encouraged to make by society.

Don't get me wrong - commitment is essential to successful weightloss, but I think you have to acknowledge the complexity and near-intractability of the psychological hurdles that most dieters face. Overcoming a lifetime of learned behaviours that food = comfort; self-destructive cycles of guilt and self-loathing; retraining yourself to feel pleasure and reward in other ways... not to mention the physiological battles inherent in running your body on a calorie deficit.

If you tell yourself that dieting is a simple matter of commitment, or willpower, and you fail... that's likely going to lead to worsening self esteem and confidence that you will ever succeed. "How useless / powerless over food am I, that I can't even commit to a weight loss plan? I can commit to breathing, after all." OTOH, I think acknowledging *why* we fail, understanding the complexities of our own psychological barriers etc, forearms us in the battle.

I see where you are coming from, and you are so right, commitment is key. Get focussed, stay focussed, you cant go wrong.

My focus is to diet for 13 weeks, everyday, no excuses. We are going away for a weekend soon, and im not going to let that be an excuse to break my diet. I have stuck to it for 2 weeks so far, so only 11 weeks to go.

Im looking to lose around 3 stone and maybe I wont get there in 13 weeks, maybe I will. I will worry about that at the end. But right now my focus is strong, my willpower is strong, and I can see exactly the end which is April 4th.

Good luck, keep in touch and keep your commitment going strong!

More a metaphore. Than actualy stopping breathing as a constant dieter wen i read it it gave me incentive Thats why i shared it!

Whatever works for you, and if it works for others then fab. I just worry that this kind of 'reductio ad absurdum' can be dispiriting for people, who don't find the commitment to dieting as simple as the impulse to breathe...

and that's because as a metaphor it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. I think dieting is more like the commitment we have to going to work: it's not fun (for most of us); it stops us doing the things we'd prefer; it can be really depressing sometimes... but we all do it because the long-term rewards are not just valuable, but essential to us.

:D

Now that I CAN agree with!

:D

ps - are you really 42 and a half feet tall?

I have tried so many things its the brain Thats the worst enemy so thoughts that make us think mite help,it made me think aslong as u dnt think of it as actualy stopping breathing

the site works on feet and inches, so you just put in 5ft 10.

ahh well.

worked it out. you must've written 510 in the inches box. because 510 divided by 12 =42.5 (or 42ft, 6inches).

Back