What is Easter?

Goodness no. Not a silly question at all. I learn loads by asking questions. I'm a serial 'question asker' :D

Today is Nisan 14 from the Jewish Calander and the day Jesus died. I've just been out to celebrate the passover. Obviously Easter is always 'Good Friday' and 'Easter Sunday, Monday' etc, but year on year the days are not going to be right. It will fall right every few years, but the days cannot be accurate every year can they? Its not possible that every Easter Monday is the day he ascended to heaven is it? Its more of a public holiday now rather then a religious one. If you asked most kids what Easter is about they'd say Chocolate Eggs and baby chicks!!

Heya,

Obviously yeah the days do change year to year but its about what they represent, like Christmas (it was over 2000 years ago!), the day of memorial is not necessarily the day it actually happened.

As for Easter Monday, I have checked my facts....and its my bad- just went to my bible and you are right hun, Easter Sunday is not a biblical day at all, and Jesus' ascension was apparently (approx) 40 days after he was resurrected. Oops, note to self: check facts before offering info!

I reckon that the reason most kids would say that is cos for them most of life is simplified- Christmas= santa and presents, Easter= chocolate, Winter= snow, etc.etc.!! They get excited by the commerical fads/symbols and dont necessarily understand the meaning. Having said that I think that its not necessarily just kids, where the majority of our population are no longer bought up going to Church every week as they did a hundred years ago, a lot of people don't know the real meaning behind these occasions. And also the fact that the Easter period is also a pagan festival celebrating fertility, hence the baby chicks as a pagan symbol of new life (not the Jesus part of it, just the time that it falls is a pagan festival), it can get rather confusing!!!

:) Easter day tomorrow- happy easter everyone! xx

Here here hun!!! Everything is commercial nowadays and it drives me crazy. I'm a travel agent and I get away at xmas time. I cannot be in this country. It is shocking how materialistic people are!

I just wish at this time of year people could stop just for a minute and think about what Jesus did for them. He under went the most horiffic death for us, me and you and most people don't care less! arrrrrggggghhh!

Sorry guys, thats my preaching done for the night! Have a good one.
x

Jesus' ascension was apparently (approx) 40 days after he was resurrected.

And it possibly wasn't anything like 40 days. The 40 day phrase is used extensively in the bible. Possibly meaning 'a long time' or 'a testing time', but always something big happening at the end of it.

rly KD? I never heard that before. I am pretty sure that the lent period of 40 days and 40 nights was very specific tho. Had never heard it apart from the lenten period til i researched the resurrection... might ask me vicar about it, would be interested to know! xx

rly KD? I never heard that before. I am pretty sure that the lent period of 40 days and 40 nights was very specific tho.

It all depends on how you interpret it, but if I remember rightly, lent doesn't even get a mention in the Bible.

At first people only fasted for a day or two. The lenten period was created later and the 40 days was chosen as 40 days is so significant in the bible

Noah and those darn floods
Israel eating Manna for 40 years
Moses with God for 40 days and nights

and to remember the period of time that Jesus was tempted in the wilderness

These masses of references to the number 40, so it seemed a pretty cool number ;)

Of course people interpret the number 40 in many different ways, even for Lent. Some don't include the Sabbath, others do etc

ahhh i get ya- yeah i do see what you mean! Lent as a term isn't used in the bible no but the lent period is the period the Jesus spent 40 days and 40 nights fasting in the wild before he returned for his crucifixion.... wonder what Lent actually means? Must be a definition somewheres... xxx

I think it comes from the word 'lengthen' or something. The days getting longer in springtime. Not sure. Will have to google

Lots of numbers in the bible have meanings. For example:
2 signifies solidly confirming a matter,
3 denotes emphasis and intensity
4 signifies universalness or foursquareness in symmetry,
6 signifies imperfection, something not normal, monstrous (i.e 666 ties up with the number 3....3x6)
7 signifies divinely determined completeness as to God's purposes or Satans,
10 signifies allness or completeness in a physical way as to things on the earth,
12 signifies a divinely constituted organization either in the heavens or on the earth,
24 signifies Gods abundant organizational arrangement

No where do I have any info re the number 40. Some numbers in the bible are literal and I think the number 40 is one of them.
x

Back