what is my problem!

angelj

Hi All,

I am really struggling here. I was doing SO well at this in the beginning (at the very end of February) however I have fallen off a few times due to vacations and birthdays and etc etc. Now this last week I have eaten everything under the sun - carbs, sweets, carbs, more carbs... I cannot seem to stop! I initially lost about 8 lbs but I have gained almost all of them back!

I can't quite figure out why I am going on these binges with no control. I am not usually like this! My fellow Dukaners that have succeeded in losing so much are quite an inspiration. Has this happened to anyone else? I am usually the motivational one!

Also - I will find myself very all - or - nothing so if I cheat once (had something sweet already this morning) I feel like the entire day is wasted.

Someone get me out of this way of thinking! I need to start the Dukan way again tomorrow! :wave_cry:

Angel .... look at your signature!

"8lbs gone" "Keep the faith"

You can do this. Here, take my hand and climb back up on the wagon :D

P x

I have binged for years, i know that feeling of not being in control all too well. In fact, that exact feeling motivates me to stay on the wagon because u find it so hard to get back on it.

Promise yourself you will just do a day, then do 3, once you are over the 3 day hump your on your way.

Start on a day when you are busy and have all your Dukan food with you, eat eat eat protein, do not let yourself get hungry, drink tons of water and do some exercise.

Your post just shows how addictive sugary carbs are. I know it well!

Good luck xxx

Have a quick flick through my previous posts and you will see I have been there and done it many many times. What I have discovered though, is that if I do cheat, then drinking lots and lots of water to flush out the bad stuff seems to help.

Get back on it, you have done brilliantly so far. Remind yourself when you are tempted that a 'bad' food is not worth the extra few weeks of trying to loose weight that it will cost you. I try to give every food a time 'price'. That cream cake will cost a few days, the huge blow out will cost a week and so on.

We're only human, we will all at some point mess it up. But being able to draw a line under it and refocus on our goal is what will get us through.

xx

these are wonderful responses!!!

Thank you and I will peek through your journeys - carbs are SO addicting - they are like a drug :x

Hi, have a look at my post killer carbs, I was a carb/sugar addict until I started this way of eating two months ago. Sugar is highly addictive so there is nothing wrong with you for not being able to stop once you've started. It's exactly the way I was and would be if I started eating the way I used to. Few days back on the Dukan wagon and the sugar/carb cravings will be kicked to the Kerb. You can do it x

The only way i managed to break the cycle of pigging out particularly on sweet things and then feeling guilty was by telling myself i couldnt have (insert name of desired naughty stuff!) FOR NOW.

In other words, i could have whatever i wanted, it is just at the moment, i'm not eating sugar stuff etc. Then i also made sure there was plenty of dukan friendly nibbles around and ate these instead. Soon these would kick in, id feel full and the moment would pass. It is just a weak moment, which becomes a mountainous binge if we let it. Also for me the thought that i can really have whatever i want some time soon seems to work- puts me back in charge and i dont feel like im being told what i should eat. I have an aversion to being told what to do....!
Worked for me any way.

It isn't just in our heads - its a physical reality. Carbs cause a blood sugar high, which triggers an insulin release, which in turn causes a massive blood sugar crash, which makes you feel ravenously hungry, so you eat another [cake/sweet/biscuit/piece of toast] and start the cycle all over again.

The best way to break the cycle is not to stop eating, but to eat some protein - which triggers a hormone release which kills hunger in its tracks.

If you feel the craving come over you - eat a plain yogurt, or an omelette, or tuna, or chicken.... if you can't find any of those (and it happens) eat some almonds or peanuts (preferably unsalted, but salted in an emergency).

Some great responses for you from others and I agree with all of them. This is a physical real craving but your head is your strongest tool - I saw a hypno guy about weight and food issues and it was as simple as saying no!! Sounds so stupid but it is oh so true....... YOU can do this with your brain on your side. Decide that you are going to start again (maybe not attack but cruise) and have everything in place to succeed lots of protein to hand and soup etc, because you can and will do this.............. Most of us are all or nothing people (apparently we are happier in general) and I really found the same as you that one blip would send me down the slippery slope but again I know I allow that to happen..... I started Dukan on a Saturday when I was going away from home to a horse show and for me it was a concious decision to stop putting everything off till Monday or for when I was at home...... Since that day it has been amazing - not always easy - but amazing! Last little thought, before I started Dukan I spent at least a couple of hours a day mentally beating myself up about not being on a diet - it was exhausting and demoralising - god I wish I had kicked myself into touch and not wasted the energy!!!! .

So......we all seem to agree.
Anyway, sometimes we need sugar.
I am not strong at all and I don't know what advice to give you except:
Don't give up.

you're all fabulous!

Dont give up! You can do this - have plenty of dukan friendly foods in - i eat whenever i am hungry - but always protein - ive been known to polish off a tin of tuna at 11.00 at night cos i was hungry - i always have sugar free jelly made up for when i crave something sweet and dukan muffins have got me through many a time i couldnt have done this diet without them! I nearly always save them until after tea which always used to be my weakest time - they are very filling and gorgeous with a cup of coffee! I carry a tin of no drain tuna in my handbag so ive always got some protein with me if i need it! And most of all keep reading this forum - it gave me motivation and advice in bucketfuls! Put your little blip behind you and go for it - you can do it xx

i love all the fab advice on this thread, bottom line is that at some point life happens and you just have to learn to deal with it, like the others have mentioned pick yourself up and carry on regardless. Word of warning though if you make a habit of it well it will take you a hell of longer time to get where you need to be. We can do this nothing is impossible if we put our mind to it.

Back