What is your number 1 favourite meal

I made the cheesecake today & it was so lovely. The only downsides was that the cereal bars set rock hard & I couldn't prise the base from the dish! The cream cheese & Options was lush - just like real cheesecake. Nom nom!

Also made the banana loaf, that has to be my all time favourite SW recipe.

After reading all this thread, as a newbie, I cannot believe I can eat so much of things and still lose weight. Some amazing recipes there, thank you all. Now to start a new shopping list........... :)

Can you confirm ingredient quantities for the topping.
Thanks a mil

I made SW Moussaka tonight it was delicious, even my husband liked it, high praise indeed :D.

Moussaka

Fry light
1 onion
4 garlic cloves
397g extra lean minced lamb
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp sweetener
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper
4 large potatoes - peeled
2 large aubergines – sliced into 1cm rounds

For topping:

• Preheat your oven to 180c/350F/Gas 4. Heat a large frying pan sprayed with Fry Light and stir-fry the onion, garlic and minced lamb for 3-4 minutes, or until the mince is sealed. Season well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover the pan and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Meanwhile, Parboil the potatoes in boiling waster for 10-12 minutes. Drain, cool then slice and set aside. Place the aubergine slices under a hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
  • Spray a medium, ovenproof dish with Fry Light. To assemble the moussaka, place a single layer of potato on the base of the dish, followed by a layer of aubergine. Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
  • For the topping, mix together the yogurt, egg yolks, nutmeg and parsley. Season well. Pour the topping over the moussaka and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden.

This is a really tasty Gino D'Acampo recipe that is easily tweaked to make it SW friendly and most importantly free on EE.

Pastiera Di Maccheroni

Ingredients
Fry Light
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
250g lean bacon chopped
500g minced pork
2 tablespoons freshly chopped rosemary
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
300g penne
4 large eggs
28g parmesan (from HE)
salt and pepper

1. Heat fry light in the pan, add the chopped onion and carrot fry for 5 mins or until soft.

2. Add the bacon, mince and rosemary, cook for a further 5 mins.

3. Pour in the tomaotes, season and cook for a further 15 mins over a medium heat. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.

4. Meanwhile cook the pasta in a large saucepan, drain and add to the meat sauce mixture, stir well and leave to cool.

5. Pre heat oven to gas mark 4

6. Break the eggs into a jug and whisk in the parmesan.

7. Add the egg mix to the meat and pasta (once it's cooled to room temperature) mix well.

8. Spray a non stick round baking dish (22cm approx and about 5cm deep is perfect) pour in the pasta mix and spread evenly.

9. Cook in the middle of the pre heated oven for approx 20mins.

10. Leave to rest for 5 mins before serving as it will hold it's layers better if cooled slightly.

Can be served hot or cold. I used 2 onions and 2 carrots to increase the about of superfree foods within the dish and served with a side salad. All the family loved it and I had plenty left to freeze for lunches the following week.

Ive just found this and all sound fabulous, loads of meals to put in my recipe keeper. Got the bits for cheesecake so gunna make that tomorrow. Will add my own favourites soon x

Update, now 3 favourite recipes.................
Yuk Sung
Beef Curry
Banana Ice Cream

Pete’s Yuk Sung

Serves 2

Ingredients

120g Brown Rice
1 vegetable stock pot
250g low Fat Pork
100g Mushrooms
1 red pepper
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp garlic
1 spring onion
3 tbsp. dark soy sauce
2 tbsp. oyster sauce (1 syn)
1 tbsp cider vinegar
Dash of sesame oil (1 syn)
Salt & pepper
1 Washed & chilled Iceberg Lettuce

Method

Weigh out 120g brown rice, wash in a sieve until the water runs clear then fill a pan with cold water and add rice to the water and bring to the boil then turn heat down and allow simmering for 40 mins.

Tip rice into a sieve and leave on the ring for a few minutes with a lid on to allow to steam. Then put to one side.

Use a heavy bottomed frying pan, cook the mince until it is browned and all liquid has evaporated.

Add 1 Tbsp. of the soy sauce, and then add the veg stock pot, mix well, add chopped mushrooms, peppers, ginger, garlic & spring onions & cook for 5 mins then add the rice and mix thoroughly with the remaining soy sauce. Finally add oyster sauce.

Cook until the rice is hot, place mixture into freshly washed and chilled Iceberg Lettuce and enjoy!

YukSung-2Large.jpg

Pete’s Beef Curry

Serves 4
Ingredients

1tsp olive oil (2 syn/4= 0.5syn per person)
450g beef stewing steak
1 onion, finely chopped
1tsp “Very Lazy” Garlic
1tsp “Very Lazy” Ginger
1tsp “Very Lazy” Chilli
½tsp asafoetida powder
½tsp fenugreek powder
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp cumin powder
1tsp coriander
1tsp turmeric
1tsp garam masala
2tsp curry powder (for a hotter curry use up to 2tbsp)
1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
Knorr Dark beef stock pot mixed with 200mL water
225g long grain rice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method

Put the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and add the ground seeds and asafoetida powder, cook for 2 mins to allow the oils to come out, add beef cut into 25mm chunks and brown on all sides. Remove from pan, reserving juices with the beef stock, and season with salt and pepper.

Cook the onions until transparent then add the garlic, ginger and chilli, cook for 2 mins, until tender, and season with the cumin, coriander, curry powder & turmeric. Mix in the chopped tomatoes.
Return the beef to the frying pan. Add stock and the fenugreek powder.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 50-60 mins with a lid on the saucepan until the meat is tender.
5 mins before serving add the garam masala.

Serve on a bed of rice.

BeefCurrySmall.jpg

Pete’s Banana Ice-Cream
Ingredients
Ripe bananas
Milk from your daily allowance
*optional
*Strawberries
*Raspberries
*11g Options chocolate
1-2tbsp sweetener
1tsp vanilla essence

Method

Slice the ripe bananas into 8-10mm slices and place in a freezer-proof sealable tub and freeze for at least 4hrs preferable for 24 hours.

Remove from the freezer, using a hand blender, pulse the mixture to break up the ice crystals until the lumps turn to a smooth constituency, add the vanilla essence, add sweetener as required, depending on how ripe the bananas are. Add a small amount of milk to help it turn into a smooth mix. Return to the freezer for 1hour, repeat the above action until the mix has frozen and looks & feels like ice cream.
Mine was removed and mixed at least 4 times. But I couldn’t wait and this picture was taken after 3 mixes!

Add any fruit for flavouring or add option packet of Belgium chocolate.

BananaIceCreamSmall.jpg

I love Gammon and egg loaf that was in one of the magazines.
Cooked gammon, beaten eggs, cooked mushrooms and peppers and any other veg you fancy, seasoned and put in the oven til set in a loaf tin.
Delicious hot or cold!

I got this off the SW website. I've tried it and it was lovely, although I used mutton instead of lamb and served with rice instead of potatoes.

My husband is Jamaican and he enjoyed it. Definitely one we've continued.

Caribbean Lamb
Serves 4
0.5 syns on EE and Red

Ingredients

2 level tsp turmeric
2 level tsp cumin
227g/8oz fat-free natural fromage frais
681g/1½ lb lean lamb, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
852ml/1½pt stock made with Bovril
1 level tsp ginger
1 level tsp paprika
1 level tsp all spice
salt & pepper
1 level tsp cinnamon
1 level tsp coriander
1 level tsp nutmeg
1 level tsp dry mustard
198g/7oz tomatoes, chopped
1 level tsp cornflour

1. Mix the turmeric and cumin into the fromage frais. Pour over the lamb and leave to marinate over night.

2. Dry fry the onion in 284ml/½ pint of the stock and gradually add the remaining spices. Gently cook for 4 minutes.

3. Add the lamb mixture, the rest of the stock and the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for approximately 2 hours until the lamb is soft and tender.

4. Mix the cornflour with a little water and add to the rest of the mixture. Mix well.

5. Serve with new potatoes (chosen as a Healthy Extra on Original) and Free vegetables of your choice.

Mmmmm, I haven't read a recipe that I don't like the sound of!! I'm going to be doing a lot of cooking! :)

I have a few favourites

Beef stew (in slow cooker)
Chicken curry (in slow cooker)
Gammon, mash and beans
Fish pie

Diet coke chicken

I am posting this everywhere because I tried it tonight and OMG it is stunning. You peeps have to give it a try.

Diet Coke Chicken
Syn free on Extra Easy and Original
Ingredients:
400g sliced chicken breast
1 onion, diced
330ml can Diet Coke
6 tablespoons passata
Dash of worcestershire sauce
Fry Light
Salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  1. Heat a large saute pan and spray with Fry Light
  2. Add the chicken and onion and fry until beginning to colour
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil
  4. Simmer until the sauce thickens and reduces down to about half its volume - approximately 30 minutes

I just made the chicken & bacon hotpot from the most recent SW magazine. It was really yummy!

Butternut Squash Curry. I LOVE this, not sure about syns but best thing about this recipe is that nothing is processed :) I serve this with cous cous.

1kg (2lb) of mixed vegetables (like those in the vegetarian chilli) chopped into 1" squares,
* 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1 inch squares,
* 3 large onions,
* 4 cloves garlic,
* 2 x 400ml tins of chopped tomatoes,
* 1 pint vegetable stock,
* 100g (3.5oz) block of creamed coconut,
* 2 teaspoons each of turmeric, cumin, paprika, coriander, chilli powder, curry powder (medium or hot depending on your preference),
* Olive oil for cooking,

What you do with all this:
* Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and then lightly fry the onions and garlic for 15-20 minutes until transparent (do not brown).
* Transfer this mixture to a side dish then heat some more olive oil in the same pan and put in all the spices and lightly fry for 2-3 minutes.
* Put the onion mix back in the pan with the spices and mix thoroughly.
* Add the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly before blending it into a smooth mixture.
* Return the mixture to the heat and stir in the coconut block until it is completely dissolved.
* You now have a delicious curry sauce to which you can add all the vegetables. Put the lid on the saucepan and simmer gently until the vegetables are cooked to your liking (about 30 minutes).

Back