What is your number 1 favourite meal

One meal only!

What slimming world recipe could everyone not do without?

My two favourites are spaghetti bolognese and chicken and prawn risotto. Tough call but risotto wins hands down as it is very filling and feels like a treat meal. What makes it even better is it is completely free on extra easy!

Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts.

Chicken Kiev and hassleback potatoes, used to buy shop made and they never tasted as good as these do

I think mine would have to be slimming world-style burger and chips. I don't make it all that often, but when I do it never ceases to amaze me that I can eat food like that and still lose weight!

The chicken dopiaza, though I never manage to completely stick to a recipe!

I love my curries and I couldn't believe it when I found a REALLY good curry recipe that was totally syn free. No more high fat takeaways for me! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Chris D J said:

My two favourites are spaghetti bolognese and chicken and prawn risotto. Tough call but risotto wins hands down as it is very filling and feels like a treat meal. What makes it even better is it is completely free on extra easy!

I'd love your risotto recipe if you wouldn't mind posting it chris?

ohblondone said:
The chicken dopiaza, though I never manage to completely stick to a recipe!

I love my curries and I couldn't believe it when I found a REALLY good curry recipe that was totally syn free. No more high fat takeaways for me! :)

That sounds gorgeous! Would you mind posting the recipe? :)

slimming sinead said:
That sounds gorgeous! Would you mind posting the recipe? :)

Hi the recipe is below. However, like I said I never completely stick to a recipe!

I also add 1tsp paprika and I heaped the ground coriander. I add a chicken stock cube to my hot water.

I don't grill the chicken and adjust the cooking time to ensure its cooked.

I like a creamy curry (which I know dopiaza isn't) so I added some fat free natural yogurt at the end. I also didn't add the sliced onion at the end as my 2 year old isn't a fan of onions at the minute (apparently they're disgusting)

It's a bit of a case of trial and error as everyone likes different things.

information
Serves: 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Syns per serving:
EE free, orig free, green 6*
(*Add 6 Syns if not using chicken as a Healthy Extra)

Ingredients
1 large onion, chopped
1 level tsp ground ginger
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 level tsp ground turmeric
1 level tsp ground cumin
1 level tsp ground coriander
¼ - ½ tsp chilli powder
1 x 198g/7oz can tomatoes
908g/2lb boned, skinned chicken breasts grilled and sliced
170ml/6 fl oz warm water
2 cinnamon sticks, broken up, or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 cardamom pods, split open
2 whole cloves
2 dried bay leaves
salt, to taste
1 large onion, sliced
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

method
1. Place the chopped onion, ginger and garlic in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add a little water if necessary.

2. Dry fry over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and chilli powder. Cook for 4-5 minutes.

3. During this time add 1 tablespoon tomato juice from the canned tomatoes. When the juice has evaporated, add the chicken. Add the water, cinnamon, cardamom pods, cloves, bay leaves, salt and tomatoes.

4. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, covered, until the sauce is thick.

5. Dry fry the sliced onion until soft and add to the chicken mixture. Remove from the heat, stir in the coriander leaves and serve.

Thanks a million for that ohblondone. I'll definitely be giving that a try!

Mine is a bit boring, gammon, eggs, slimming world chips, mushy pea and either salad or mushrooms and tomatoes. I am getting some great inspiration for other meals on here so my favourite may well change!!!

My favourite recipe at the moment is my peanut curry......

Peanut Curry-2 (Small).JPG

When looking for inspiration for recipes, there are so many I sometimes feel a little overwhelmed.

I thought if I started a thread asking people to state their number 1 fave recipe (with ingredients, method if possible) it might help me and others.

Thanks

I'll start. My favourite is Turkey, bacon and thyme hotpot.

2 leeks 9oz/255g smoked bacon chopped
1lb/454g turkey breast cut into pieces
thyme
7oz/198g mushrooms sliced
1/2pt/284ml chicken stock
1 level tbsp vegetable gravy granules

Cook bacon and leeks in Frylite for 5 minutes. Add turkey, thyme and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add stock and bring to the boil. Stir in the gravy granules, cover and cook gently for 5-10 minutes. Serve with new potatoes and lots of veggies!!

that sounds really nice, thanks for recipe!

mmm recipe please for the risotto or is it SW recipe?:D sounds gorgeous!

I have lots of favourite 'meals' that I do but a favourite VERY SIMPLE and easy dessert is the quicky cheescake:

quark with 2 white choc options mixed into it - 2 alpen light bars slightly warmed and mashed into a small dish and spread the quark mixture over the top - to me this is JUST LIKE a new york style cheesecake and is ONLY 10 syns for the whole cheesecake or just 4 syns if you use the alpen lights as a heb.

Half of course is 2 syns or 5 syns.

Lovely.

Going to have to try this!!

Oh my word - I have just read this entire thread, it's 1am and now I'm starving!!!

Starting on my SW journey tomoro and came on here for inspiration for meal plans. Well, I now have a list as long as my arm! Am going to sit down tomoro (today!) and make a shopping list so that I have everyyhting to hand. I do love a list!!!

Def need to make the hunters chicken, BBQ sauce, fried rice and KFC stylt chicken this week. Chicken fried rice is my ultimate treat food - so planning that for Friday night in. Can't wait already.

Thanks guys for sooooooo much inspiration - hopefully in a few weeks I can add to the list and inspire someone else.

Must go to bed now - must not take laptop to bed........

holz_eb said:
I think mine must be Diet coke chicken! love it, first time I tried it, it was awful! had no idea what the fuss was all about! however, once I'd done it right it became a favourtie!!

What is the best way to do this ? X

What is the best way to do this ? X

I fry off chicken and any veg you are using in fry light, add 6 tbsp of passta, a generous dash of worcester sauce, a beef oxo cube and a can of coke, simmer until it reduces to a thick sauce. I usually double it if I'm making it for more than one person as I like lots of sauce! It's really nice, going to try the fanta chicken soon when I find the recipe!

Enjoy, let me know if you like it!

Back