What is your number 1 favourite meal

Don`t want to lose this thread so `bump`

I made this recipe for Sweet and Sour Rice with Chicken a few days ago and everyone loved it so, here goes -

4 spring onions 1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 tsp. sesame oil - 2 Syns 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. Chinese 5 Spice powder 225g long-grain white rice
450g skinless chicken breast, diced 1 pint of water
1 tbsp. veg. oil - 6 Syns 4 tbsp. reduced sugar + salt tomato ketchup - 2 Syns
1 tbsp. tomato puree 2 tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns
1 tbsp. vinegar 1 tbsp. reduced salt dark soy sauce
1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks

Trim the spring onions, then cut lengthways into strips. Put into a bowl of iced water and save until later.
Mix together the sesame oil and 5 Spice and use them to rub into the diced chicken.
Heat a wok or large frying pan, add the oil and, when hot, cook the garlic and onion for 3 minutes, or until transparent and softened.
Add the chicken and stir-fry over a medium-high heat until the chicken is golden and cooked through. Using a slatted spoon, lift from the pan, set aside and keep warm.
Stir the rice into the wok and add the water, ketchup, tomato puree, honey, vinegar and soy sauce. Stir well to mix.
Bring to the boil, then simmer until almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the carrot and reserved chicken and continue to cook for 4 minutes.
Drain the spring onions, which will have become curly. Use these as a garnish on top of the chicken and rice. Serve immediately.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! :) It's approx. 4 Syns per serving.

Kathy

My favourite meal has to be the good old diet coke chicken!

Before I made it, I thought no way, but it is honestly amazing. I think I'm going to try diet fanta chicken later this week - someone I'm my old group suggested trying it. I'll give anything a go once.

Sent from my HTC One mini using MiniMins.com mobile app

Creamy Garlic Mushrooms served on a Crusty Wholemeal Roll.

Ingredients
8 Mushrooms
1 tsp Garlic purée
150g Philadelphia lightest (or any soft cheese A choice)
Wholemeal Roll (B choice)
Fry light

Chop all the mushrooms into thin slices
Spray a pan with frylight and place on the heat
Stir your mushrooms for around 3 minutes until starting to go golden
Add the soft cheese and garlic purée and turn the heat down.
Toast the wholemeal roll.
When the mushrooms are all covered spoon the mixture onto the toasted roll and serve.

Serves 2, so only 1.5 syns!

Rating..... * * * * * 5 star! Absolutely gorgeous!

Bon Appetit

COCONUT FISH CURRY - Serves 4

4.5 Syns per serving (but well worth it!)

1 medium onion, very finely chopped 1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped 1 tbsp. mild curry paste - 2 Syns
2.5cm piece of ginger, grated or half tsp. dried, ground 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
400ml Blue Dragon Light Coconut Milk - 14.5 Syns 700g firm, white fish, skinned and cut into chunks (monkfish is good)
225g basmati rice 1 tbsp. freshly chopped coriander or half tsp. dried
1 tbsp. Pataks mango chutney - 1.5 Syns

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion, pepper and garlic until soft. They soften so much better, and more quickly, if you use frozen, chopped onion and peppers!
Add the curry paste, ginger and chilli and cook for a further minute.
Pour in the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the fish and simmer gently for 5-10 minutes or until the fish is tender but not over-cooked.

Meanwhile, cook the rice, drain in a colander and rinse with boiling water. Turn it into a serving dish.
Stir the chopped coriander and chutney gently into the fish mix and season to taste.
Spoon over the cooked rice and serve immediately.

Lovely with a dollop of FF Greek yoghurt on top. I really love this easy curry. I'm not usually mad on spicy food but this is quite mild and tastes amazing!
Hope you like it as much as I do, if you give it a go.

Kathy

Some fabulous ideas here, I'm excited for dinner tonight now!

My new favourite meal is super speed soup!! I made it for the first time yesterday and I can see me making it every week - absolutely delicious!!!!

Pete’s Chicken Cacciatore (2013)

Serves 2
Ingredients
1 Onion, sliced (s) (sff)
1 Garlic cloves, crushed (sff)
1 Tbsp. dried basil
1 Tbsp. Schwartz “perfect shake, chicken” herb & spice blend
2 Chicken Breasts, sliced (s) (ff)
3 Tbsp. Fromage Frais (ff)
100-150g Rice or Pasta of your choice
700mL Passata (s) (sff)

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
In a frying pan, sprayed with frylight, cook the chicken until its gone white.
In a sauce pan, cook the onions, allow going soft, adding the garlic, basil & passata, mixing well, cook for 10 mins & thickens.
Add the chicken to an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with the spice blend, add the contents of the saucepan & cook for 20 mins in the oven.
Cook the Rice/Pasta of your choice.
Remove the dish from the oven, allow to cool slightly, mix the fromage frais with the contents, and serve. (If it splits, don’t worry, it will still taste ok)

Chicken Cacciatore (2013) (Small).JPG

I love dishes for only 2. If I cook for 4 I find it too hard to save 3/4.

Also for 4 is a lot harder to split ingredients to do for 1.

I made this yesterday although I did brown the beef first. It was lovely
Provençal Beef Slow Cooker Stew

Serving Size: 6
450 g stewing beef, lean, cut into cubes
5 low cal cooking spray
1 small onions, chopped
300 g mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 medium carrots, raw, sliced
1 425g can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 beef or vegetable stock, beef, make up 350ml with hot water
350 ml water, hot
1 400g can chopped tomatoes
0.5 tsp dried oregano
0.25 tsp dried thyme
0.5 tsp salt
0.25 tsp black pepper
1. Place beef in a slow cooker. Coat a nonstick frying-pan with cooking spray. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to slow cooker. Add carrots.
2. Place half of beans in slow cooker. Place remaining beans in blender. Add 1/3 of stock to blender and purée. Add mixture to slow cooker. Add remaining stock, tomatoes, oregano, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
3. Cover and cook on high setting of slow cooker for 6 to 7 hours. Garnish with fresh thyme.

I made a pork meatball and fennel stew the other day. I was just experimenting with leftover pork mince that I'd bought for patties for the full engllish breakfast recipe on the SW website.

200g extra lean minced pork
1 onion
1 chicken stock cube
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
Sweetener

Season the pork mince with black pepper and powdered garlic and roll into small meatballs (you don't need to add anything to bind it as it sticks together by itself. Fry the onion until soft, add the meatballs and fennel seeds (all in frylight, obviously). When the meatballs are browned, make up a little chicken stock with the cube and pour over meatball mix. When the pork is cooked through, add sweetener to taste (I use Truvia, although it's expensive I think it's worth it for the taste).

I'm going to try this with other veg added, carrots etc.

I added small cubed boiled potatoes to this with the skin on, but it was so filling I left some. It might be nicer with rice.

It was absolutely delicious and a nice change if you're looking for unusual flavours.

Must admit, at the moment, it's this curry! :)

Sweet Potato and Chicken Curry - Serves 6

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

1 onion, finely diced (or use frozen) 300-400g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large handful of kale or spinach, finely chopped
150g sliced mushrooms 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. mild curry powder 3 tsp. garam masala
2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled Quarter tsp. mild chilli powder
Quarter tsp. ground ginger 425g mini chicken fillets
400ml Blue Dragon Light Coconut Milk - 14.5 Syns

Mix all the spices together in a small bowl.
Spray a large pan well with Frylight and cook the onion, sweet potato, mushrooms, chicken fillets and kale for about 5 minutes, over a low heat and stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic and the mixed together spices. Stir for about 30 seconds.
Add the coconut milk, crumbled stock cubes and 300 ml of water. Turn the heat up and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and add the chicken fillets.
Put the lid on and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 20 minutes, take the chicken fillets out and put onto a plate. Shred the chicken, using two forks to pull it apart and then put it back into the pan.
Cook the curry for a further 15 minutes, leaving it uncovered, until reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally.
If, after the 15 minutes, it still isn't thick enough, boil rapidly until the desired consistency is reached.

Gorgeous served with wholegrain rice or SW spicy wedges. Could also have a dollop of mango chutney on the side, if you can spare the Syns. :) Patak's is 3 Syns for 2 level tbsp.

I like the turkey broccoli and pasta gratin from the extra easy cookbook, I use quorn chicken style pieces instead of the turkey. It's tasty and not too hard to cook at all.

Back