What keeps you motivated?

Hi everyone! Ive been reading these forums for quite a while but taken the plunge to post as I need help!

I have started and restarted and restared VLCD for a while now and just cant get past the first few weeks. This time I started in Monday and ruined it by Friday! I always start off so positive and motivated, armed with all my reasons for losing weight but as soon as a moment of weakness hits I cave in. I get these moments where I just need to eat something and no matter how much I agree with myself, it seems that nothing else matters at that point and I must eat whatever I fixed my mind on! The worst thing is that I always have these 'moments' in work and as I own a cake shop it only spells disaster. Before i know it, the crazy in me has reached out and shoved a cake in my mouth!! (I hope you're not reading this thinking 'oh my god, she's nuts! :eek:)

Anyway, sorry for rambling on but I was just wondering what's your motivation for doing slim and save? What do you think about to keep you on the straight and narrow when you're about to cave?

Thank you for reading :)

Reading The Beck Diet Solution - it's all in there and you feel like she's been following you around when she wrote it! The plan has hints and tips for dealing with all these situations. I keep seeing a quote all over the place at the moment which is quite apt - motivation doesn't last forever, neither does bathing, that's why it's recommended daily :) One of the most powerful techniques I have is from Beck, sounds simple but really really works - have a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight, write it down and then read it at least twice a day. Have a reminder system to make sure you read it twice a day - it refreshes your motivation.

There are so many techniques in Beck, it's brilliant. I asked a colleague who "needed" chocolate, if she needed so badly she was prepared to walk down the office showing everyone her knickers - she didn't have any chocolate and thinks about showing her knickers every time she reaches for a bar now! It's one of the funnier ones but they all do work :)

Hi Noodles,
Thanks for your help. Your weight loss is fantastic and shows that this diet really works if your brain isnt trying to sabotage you all the time!
I've never heard of the Beck diet solution before but just had a read of the first few pages on amazon and sounds like it could be really helpful. I have thought about going back to lighterlife for the cognitve therapy but just cant afford £70 a week and found myself not being able to get a word in edge ways at the group sessions anyway! But if I can work my way through this book and learn how to talk myself out of those tricky situations, I will have a much better chance of success!

I have lost 2 stone this past year via various techniques and i remind myself of the moment when things start to fit, that were tight and i feel really pleased and proud. Ten I think of that feeling and imagine the future slimmer me and it keeps me motivated! That and many more techniques but imagination is the most powerful motivated, so says paul mckenna , hypnotists and psychologists. Paul mckennas i can make you slimmer has some good techniques :) Cd works well too

As a previous Lighterlifer, this is not quite as strict and I think it's better. I tend to stick to the shakes and not really eat the meal type packs and veg everyday, but about twice a week I will "treat" myself and have the veg and say a macaroni cheese pack... This is filling and it feels like you are having a proper meal... This seems to trick my brain into thinking I've cheated (even though I haven't!) and allows me to carry on without stuffing a cake or a pizza down my neck!

but the biggest part of these types of diet is the mental aspect, I haven't tried the beck book yet (although I have downloaded it) so I will definitely have a read, you just have to remember why you are doing it...

Noodles, I so love the knickers/chocolate thing, that's really funny... I will remember that one!

I just don't want to fail again. I just keep going one day at a time. I feel so much better now, I look better, fitness is better and am happier and more enthusiastic about life. To me thats worth more than a mini pork pie , a cream cake or a slice of pizza

Use SMART goals. Specific: know exactly what you goal is - Measureable: take your measurements/weight and check them often - Attainable: make sure your goal is acheiveable - Relevant: is it a goal worth having? - Timely: set a time limit on your goal

The last motivates me most. Knowing this is only for a short while can make it much easier to stick to.

Nothing other than hope at the moment. Week 2 and 3 losses are only 3lbs altogether. I'm naffed off right now although I will keep on plodding. If it is another crappy loss next week, I don't think I will carry on.... btw, I am 100% (other than the odd hard boiled egg once a week or so) and drinking lots of water. I'm always a slow loser on traditional diets, hence why I get fed up. I really thought s&s would be different for me. *goes off to carry on sulking*

If its any conciliation stripeddaisy, after first week being 100 I lost..... Drum roll... 5lb! I stared at the scales and thought " how bloody dare you!'" . I was expecting more, guess we are more the tortoises than the hairs. Are they derby skates I see?

Thanks for all your helpful comments. I think I'm going to write myself another list of reasons for wanting to lose weight and read it on a daily basis. I have done them in the past but always put them somewhere 'safe' so nobody can read it amd forget where i put it! I definately need to set myself more realistic goals as well, I expect to lose like a stone in a week and when i dont see results I want, I give up. Also, I have ordered my Beck diet book from amazon - thanks for that Noodles :)

StripedDaisy 11 pounds lost in 3 weeks is awesome! I would love to get that far and I definately wouldnt be able to lose that much in such a short space of time on any other diet

Back