What made you do it

asilasil

I have been sitting here this morning and wondering what was the pivital turning point for people that have been over weight to start this LL adventure??

I mean my son used to make silly jokes like if I was really laughing at something he would say "mum..put your chin away" Then he'd say "no not that one the other one"!!lol...this used to have me laughing all the more
Or he would describe my ankles as 'cankles' because my ankles and calves merged into one with no definition.
Whilst these little family jokes did make me laugh he got me thinking that my son doesnt really remember his slim mum from 8 years ago. What a shame he has only ever seen me as a chubby mum.
So I guess the turning point for me was january when he turned 16 and I realised
he'd only seen me fat.
Woohoo...cant wait to show the new me off when I get here.:)

Photo's like this one where I realised that I was stood there watching other people playing with my kids because I couldn't :(

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=148150&id=823730316#/photo.php?pid=3940567&id=823730316

Realising I had a huge risk of high blood pressure, diabetes and cancer because all three run in my family and the risk greatly increases when you're obese, this actually came to light when my nanna died 7 days before my wedding (cancer) but I used my emotions as an excuse for 2 years to not do anything about it even though one of the last things nanna said to me before she died was to make sure I looked after myself and not to end up like her. Oh my god this has got me crying now.

My whole family is over weight and I just don't want my children to grow up and think it's 'normal' to be like this the way I did.

Thanks though it's posts like this that keep me going, realising why I started and that I need to finish this journey FOR ME.

There are many more reasons but as I'm in bits already I'll add them later.

Emma xXx

Oh wow....Im sorry I made you cry....got me at it now lol.
But glad that its heightened your passion to succeed.
You sound like a strong person so Im sure you will.
xx

Its good to cry. :)

I was at a turning point in my life with my weight concerns. I was THIS close to accepting my fate as a horrible fat person for the rest of my life, which I knew would be short.

Then I saw someone who had done LL, and I was amazed.

I just could not accpet myself being fat forever - I just couldn;t. Yet I saw no way out until I saw my friend.

That started the wheels turning, and I made up my mind and said this is my last chance. If I don;t do this, and do it correctly, I will die fat.

And then one night, I had a conversation with myself in the mirror and asked if I wanted to live, or die. I chose life.

And the rest, is history. :)

xx

No BL's right it's good to cry, everythings finally coming out now and I'm feeling a lot more positive for it!

Well, for me I'd also seen two or three people lose tons of weight and look just fabulous in work. I was pregnant at the time, but said that I'd do LL when I'd had the baby, while thinking at the time that I'd never be able to afford it! I made the decision that after the baby was born I'd walk for hours each day with the pram - the fact that he had colic and would scream even when in his pram out for a walk didn't help, but I did no exercise and as soon as we'd put him down at night, we'd have a lovely cold lager and lime (followed by about four more!) almost every night, and take aways, or we'd grab junk food. I got fatter and fatter and probably put on a stone and a half from the birth to when I started - which was end of June to end of October.

I realised that I had to do LL because I was totally out of control around food. I'd got to the stage where my weight was such a big problem that I went into denial one minute and kept on eating, or felt depressed, and kept on eating, all the while feeling desperate to do something and ashamed of myself!! It's horrible talking to someone and having this chatterbox in your head taunting you the whole time. It's all I thought about, but at the same time I couldn't see a way out.

As soon as I decided to do LL, which was made possible because I was doing a project for work which meant doing some overtime, and all the money I earned went to LL. I could have bought something truly amazing with the money I thought at one point, but now know that this IS the most amazing thing I could have bought with that money!

I am so grateful sitting here today for the person who actually brought LL to my attention.

I was bloated aching and badly hungover. It was a morning where I had to get up with the kids and I just had no energy to deal with them. The very fact that I was thinking like that (can't be bothered) with my own kids was bad enough but I staggered on to the scales and they wouldn't give me a reading at all (they go up to 22 stone). That's the exact moment I a decided to start Lighterlife. Gets me quite emotional too to be honest. Although it sounds a bit dramatic I was about as rock bottom as I've ever been in my life. Only now do I realise to what extent.

First time for me was when I saw the photographs after my daughter's Passing Out Parade. I was so proud but I realised I was the one letting the side down! I was size 20 and 16 st 8 lb.

That was in December 2006 and I was going to be married in August 2007. There was no way on this planet that I was going to look back at my wedding photos with such horrific disgust as I felt at those other once in a lifetime moment pictures!!

I can't remember where I picked up on LL but I started in February 2007, finished in June and had a deliciously happy wedding having lost 4 stone!!!

But I didn't do the RTM.

Honeymoon, holiday, Christmas, another couple of holidays and summer starting to feel bleuch and then another Christmas. I agreed I was so happy when I'd lost the weight I told myself, and OH, that in the New Year I was going back on LL. I know the diet works fantastically well and I intend to do better than last time and I am certainly, definately, and without a doubt doing the RTM this time and I am going to feel like SB and BL and now Poppy and be jumping up and down about my achivements by summer!!

I intend to do better than last time and I am certainly, definately, and without a doubt doing the RTM this time and I am going to feel like SB and BL and now Poppy and be jumping up and down about my achivements by summer!!

Yes you are Mrs, and we are going to be there to pull you through if you need any help, but somehow I think you are going to be just fine!

Well done you for tackling this for a second time. Can you believe I don't think I knew this was your second time around - have I missed that? I am so proud of you for doing this twice - and I have not once heard you complaint about it, or about how difficult it is a second time around which we often here. Big kudos to you. You definately have your head in the right place!

Rock it Foxy!!

See you at the finish line!! :) :) :)

xxx

Thank you guys for sharing with such honesty. Looking at your replys made me really analyse my above reason for starting. In my original post I was pretty flippant and did what I always do IE...Hide behind humour.
To be honest a couple of people on here have mentioned the words 'rock bottom' and that really is where I was at just a week and a half ago. I had no choice but to take this journey on LL. And yes, its only a week and a half in but I can make a promise to myself now that I WILL see this through till the end.
Thanks guys..I really feel that I have met some solid gold people that will help me.
xx

I've been trying to lose weight for about 10years and never got below 15 stones.I have tried several different diets and never acheived that healthy BMI.I suppose I just thought it was too high a target for me.This time I have decided that despite the high cost I am worth the investment,and I know I will be successful.
I was sick of eating rubbish,drinking too much and generally not valuing myself very highly.I was always tired(although I do have an active life) and feeling crappy.I want to be fit and healthy again,be more active with my kids and look good.My youngest two have never known me slim either,and my oldest girl has only vague memories of it.

I dont want to be an old fashioned fat Mum that my kids are embarrassed of at the school gates. I want to be able to run around after them, and for them to have a good relationship with food, which I didnt/dont. I want them to know me as a happy healthy hip Mum! I want to be the first up for a game of rounders or footie in the park, and to take them swimming with out being mortified.

My Mum has Diabetes high BP and other weight related illnesses, I know if I dont get in to a healthy BMI I will follow her.

Oh and I want to wear nice clothes, underwear, and have my hair cut so it isnt hung down so it hides my face.

I have a £50 M+S voucher waiting for me to buy some new swimwear for our hols in June!

For me it was because i was thinking about how it is coming up to my four-oh birthday - in a months time now - and for a real celebration I wanted to give myself the most important present that I could.

I've never been slim, ever in my life and I want to know how it feels, my family has a strong history of heart disease - my 52 year old cousin died in the last 2 weeks of a heart attack and there are a lot more, also both my mum and sister have diabetes and high cholesterol.

I want to be the person I feel like inside and feel happy about holiday pics and wouldn't it be amazing to be able to wear a bikini!! It's something that has never been even remotely possible.

I saw a friend do it a year ago and she looks fantastic. It took me a year to get my head together - and another set of holiday pics i want to hide - and join up and without a doubt it is the best decision of my whole life!

Wonderful thread - i feel quite teary -and motivated - now!

Just some of the reasons why I started LL......

Dying young and not seeing my boy grow up.
Can't buy clothes in normal shops, have to go to outsize shops and shop online and pay extortionate prices.
Dreaded going on holiday as I couldn't fit on the plane.
Continuously uncomfortable, constant pain in my feet and calves, sweating etc.
Years of missing out on activities with family and friends, paintballing, go-karting, bungee jumping, plane jumps, theme parks to name just a few.
Fear of getting diabetes, and more serious diseases through being obese.
Not getting a good nights sleep in years.
Walking into a public place and being by far the biggest person there.
The total embarrassment of having to re-order a new office chair because I've broken the existing one as I'm too heavy.
Looking at my wedding pictures and being totally disgusted with myself as I look hideous compared to the rest of my family, particularly my 2 slimmer brothers and knowing that its all my fault and completely self-inflicted.

These are just a few things off the top of my head, I could write tons more but I'm sure you get the picture. The wedding bit is particularly painful as its supposed to be one of the happiest days of your life, but instead I was feeling crap as I was so much bigger than everyone else. Once I'm slimmer we'll have to renew our vows and i'll be in a nice suit!!

This is very personal for me but I think its good to get it down, seeing it in black and white really hits home why I decided to start LL in the first place. I'm determined not to go back to the way I was and desperately want to start living my life to the full again, bring it on!!!

Yes you are Mrs, and we are going to be there to pull you through if you need any help, but somehow I think you are going to be just fine!

Well done you for tackling this for a second time. Can you believe I don't think I knew this was your second time around - have I missed that? I am so proud of you for doing this twice - and I have not once heard you complaint about it, or about how difficult it is a second time around which we often here. Big kudos to you. You definitely have your head in the right place!

Rock it Foxy!!

See you at the finish line!! :) :) :)

xxx

Thanks BL xx

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Says returner. :p:p

And I know you will be there for me should I need you all. I just wish I had found this place 2 years ago and I may not be going through it all again! :rolleyes:

BUT.... I am here again and this does work the bestest way ever and I know, should there ever be a time much much further down the line, there will still be LL and a way back onto the path. But I'm not going back to before. :D

To me it's even easier the second time. I know exactly what to expect and I know it happens in such an iddy biddy bit of time. And I know I'm going to learn how to put myself back on the right path in RTM and Maintenance (Which is where you lot probably will come in more than ever!) ;):D

Words fail me after reading such wonderful responses. I wish each and every one of us a truly amazing experience with this new path we have taken.
Im sure that we can all pretty much identify with each others reasons.
Keep the motivation guys...we are all pretty damn fantastic.
xx

I knew something had to be done, when I had to think twice before going to the corner shop which was only 20yds away from work. I could hardly stand up for more than 20 seconds without excrutiating pains in my lower back. I also started to feel afraid of dying of a heart attack due to the immense pressure on my heart. Not long after that I saw an article in the paper about a celebritys wife who had done LL. I was amazed and decide to investigate further, once I found out what the diet entailed I knew it was the diet for me.

I looked at CD as well as LL, but felt that LL with the counselling was the better option. Luckily I am in a good group who are really friendly and chatty, our counsellor told us this week that we are lucky as our experience of a LL group could have been so completly different as some of the groups were not so compatable.

So here I am on my journey I am 10lbs away from being 3stones lighter than I was 3 weeks ago which is incredible and I shall never ever go back.

Back