Extra Easy What Size is Your Plate?

On The Way Back

I have read the sticky threads for beginners etc., But (always one of those)I have a few questions and thoughts.

I have followed the plan 100% and yes I have lost but not what I feel I deserve.
My weighloss is slowing down so rapidly and I have not even lost the weight I put on after Xmas(yes after) That is how crazy I am.

Ok so my questions are:-
Can you eat too much fruit ( Currently have 5 to 6 pieces a day)?
I read that an apple can be 100cals.

I know the 1/3 superfree etc. is to hinder you having too much free food on your plate , and that is why you don't need to count or weigh it.
But if my breakast is weighed and milk measured can I omit the fruit at breakfast time? I eat loads and loads of veg with my evening meal (again possiably too much).
My lunch is usually soup(SW recipe and has loads of veg in it -good and chunky too).I sometimes also take and count scran bran with my soup.Followed by 2 pieces of fruit.

I tend to reach for a piece of fruit when I would normally at times of boredom or stress had a sweetie, choc or bread cake etc. Should i also try to cut this out and have 2 set snacks and once they are done they are done?

I have up till now used my syns for sugar in my coffee and my porridge.The ocassional level tsp of low fat marg in my mash, activia yoghurts and condiments that must be counted -bisto sweet chilli sauce.On average I use between 5-12 syns a day. 12 being a bad day. Most days about 8.

Do you think I should start using more and making not so "healthy choices" by saving them for choc etc.
I am not a drinker unless I am invited somewhere, wedding or a party and those weeks I have saved all my syns apart from one or 2 a day.

Apologises for the long post. But one last question:-
As it is aobut 1/3 of the plate etc.etc.
What size of dinner plate do you all use?

I am currently using a 27cm / 10 1/2 "plate.
Thinking of getting a smaller one. No not a tea plate but a smaller one.

Though again my meals are all SW recipes and I divide them in four or whatever the serving is and freeze them individually , so if I then add Super free it should be ok.

Think I maybe need to start weigh my superfree??????

Last edited:
I think you need to relax hunny! Stressing about it will only raise your cortisol levels which makes your body hold on to weight.
You obviously know what you're doing because you've lost weight on SW but maybe you need to shake things up a bit. Change your healthy extras, perhaps try a few red/green days, try different fruits and veg or try some different exercise or introduce some if you don't do any (it doesn't say in your post if you do).
Get positive about all these changes and start to enjoy it again, obsessing about things can very easily lead to an unhealthy relationship with food and possibly an eating disorder and trust me you don't want that x

I think you need to relax hunny! Stressing about it will only raise your cortisol levels which makes your body hold on to weight.
You obviously know what you're doing because you've lost weight on SW but maybe you need to shake things up a bit. Change your healthy extras, perhaps try a few red/green days, try different fruits and veg or try some different exercise or introduce some if you don't do any (it doesn't say in your post if you do).
Get positive about all these changes and start to enjoy it again, obsessing about things can very easily lead to an unhealthy relationship with food and possibly an eating disorder and trust me you don't want that x

Thanks for your comments, I totally agree with what you are saying. Positivity has got me through some really tough times and while I am positive about what I have acheived I have to keep this going and it is already grinding to a halt.
So it must be something I am doing or not doing.

I just want to make sure I am doing the plan correctly, before I decide weither it is for me or not.
Also if I am told I am doing it correctly then I will just get on with it regardless of the scales and I know (from past experience) that eventually I will get losses.

I eat loads of variety of fruit. Apples, oranges, pears, plums, cherries, kiwi.......
Fruit and veg are my biggest weekly food bill.

I am an active person, but realise that when you either want to improve your fitness and/or get weight loss, you need to do more than "your normal".
So for the past 10 weeks I have been swimming (30 lengths) once or twice a week. Doing 1-2 hours on the wii.(Zumba, Hoola Hoop and Just Dance sweat).

I can see how you think I might be a bit obsessive from my post above. I decided about 12 weeks ago to give it all I had for a few months and not fiddle faddle about and this is what I am aiming to do.

I don't want to waste precious time and not be doing it correctly or unknowingly sabbotaging my results.

Thanks. Having said all that as I am due to sign up for another 12 weeks maybe i will give Green a go. It's more veggies isn't it.

You have made a great acheivement, congratulations!

Please don't get hung up on calories either!!! Sw has been designed so that you don't have to think about how many calories are in an apple!! Fruit that can hinder your loss if you eat too many of them are bananas and grapes so just limit those ones if any.
Regarding exercise, you should only exercise every other day as your body needs to readjust to having been put through it's paces the day before. This is from someone who works out with the army and has climbed Snowdon and Scarfel pike, so I'd like to think I know a bit about what I'm talking about :)
I would suggest taking your measurements rather than worry over the scales as you will see more of a result in that way. I've gone from a size 28/30 to a size 12/14 during my journey even though I still weigh 13 stone 2lbs (have a 12 week baby to thank for a gain!)
Good luck and remember it's not a race xx

I normally use a toddler's penguin plate, as I love penguins and I'm less likely to break it if my arms start spasming. It's quite small, so sometimes I have two portions on it.

I have read the sticky threads for beginners etc., But (always one of those)I have a few questions and thoughts.

I have followed the plan 100% and yes I have lost but not what I feel I deserve.
My weighloss is slowing down so rapidly and I have not even lost the weight I put on after Xmas(yes after) That is how crazy I am.
If I read your stats right you have lost 11lbs i a little less than 2.5 months, which is slightly over 1lb a week. Okay not the fastest weight loss, but certainly acceptable in SW terms.
Ok so my questions are:-
Can you eat too much fruit ( Currently have 5 to 6 pieces a day)?
It is possible, but highly unlikely to be your problem
I read that an apple can be 100cals.
Yup, and it would be an issue if you ate 7 of them a day and no other fruit - but you aren't, so don't worry.
I know the 1/3 superfree etc. is to hinder you having too much free food on your plate , and that is why you don't need to count or weigh it.
Yes
But if my breakast is weighed and milk measured can I omit the fruit at breakfast time?
Not really - it helps keep you full till your next meal (thereby eliminating the need for snacks). Dunno about you, but 2 weetabix doesn't quite cut it for me at breakfast.

I eat loads and loads of veg with my evening meal (again possiably too much) - not possible!
My lunch is usually soup(SW recipe and has loads of veg in it -good and chunky too).I sometimes also take and count scran bran with my soup.Followed by 2 pieces of fruit.

Have you thought about adding some non superfree veg, eg Potato to your soup. It will help fill you up and keep you full for longer. Then you wouldn't need to syn scan bran (such a waste of syns!).

I tend to reach for a piece of fruit when I would normally at times of boredom or stress had a sweetie, choc or bread cake etc. Should i also try to cut this out and have 2 set snacks and once they are done they are done?
You should try and cut out snacking for boredom reasons full stop. But don't stop snacking if you are only doing so when you are genuinely hungry. Maybe if you ate more for brekkie & lunch you wouldn't feel the need to snack?

I have up till now used my syns for sugar in my coffee and my porridge.The ocassional level tsp of low fat marg in my mash, activia yoghurts and condiments that must be counted -bisto sweet chilli sauce.On average I use between 5-12 syns a day. 12 being a bad day. Most days about 8.
Do you think I should start using more and making not so "healthy choices" by saving them for choc etc.
I am not a drinker unless I am invited somewhere, wedding or a party and those weeks I have saved all my syns apart from one or 2 a day.
There is no reason why you should have 'bad' foods as syns. They all have a syn value for a reason. Eat whatever you want as long as you keep within your 15 syns

Apologises for the long post. But one last question:-
As it is aobut 1/3 of the plate etc.etc.
What size of dinner plate do you all use?
I am currently using a 27cm / 10 1/2 "plate.
Thinking of getting a smaller one. No not a tea plate but a smaller one.
Nope- my plate is a normal size dinner plate, and I loose about 2lbs a week.

Though again my meals are all SW recipes and I divide them in four or whatever the serving is and freeze them individually , so if I then add Super free it should be ok.
Yes!

Think I maybe need to start weigh my superfree??????

NO NO NO!!!! Definitely NO!

Kingleds - Thank you for your comments.

My fav SW soup is the tomato, bacon and lentil one. Or teh chicken noodle one. I do also often have an omelette or baked spud,pasta salad or couscous. All with veggies and or salad. I agree about the Scran Bran, but it all helps the fibre etc. Etc.,Especially when I have not had All Bran for breakfast. And you are due a scran bran free as it were as your daily bread when you have 28g of porridge.
Breakfast goes between All Bran/ Porridge/weetabix. All with 2 pieces of fruit.Tho cutting it down to one fruit. Some days it is egg , bacon tomatoes, but not often.

Think you might have nailed something- eating at all when bored, need to stop this.And stopping when full. Tho I must say lasagne is often too much so I now half it and plate it and have it the next day.
Clean plate mentality is also in grained.
Tho when i lived at home (30+ years ago nearly) I never had a weight problem.See no snacking.

Thanks again.

So far my plan is now to :-

Believe in it and stick with it.

Cut out boredom eating.

Consider changing to Red or Green in a few weeks time, maybe for my next 12 weeks.

Promise I won't weigh my super free.

Back