What size to buy!?!

cheekychinchilla

Gold Member
Hey guys!

I'm having a bit of a clothes buying crisis!! There are a couple of t-shirts I want to buy from American sites (one is on special offer and one is out of print and they only have a few left) but I'm not sure what size to get.
I would like to buy a size to 'fit in to' because I'm losing weight quite well now and so many of my favourite clothes are starting to look stupidly baggy. But I don't want to buy something unrealistic or something I will grow out of too quickly. :confused:

Basically the Men's medium will be a size down from where I am now-2inches across chest smaller than I am now. But the women's sizes are a bit different-the womens XL (looking at a 12-14 according to one site) is 3-4inches smaller than the mens medium, going by chest measurement.

I would LOVE to be able to buy girly fit t's, but do you think I'm aiming too high?! I don't think I will ever be 'small' chested, esp as I've now lost 2st and haven't dropped a cup size, so I know I will prob always be a size bigger on top compared to bottoms.
What would you do?! :eek:
Hope this makes some sense to some one?! :p

Kelly.x

Last edited:
Baggy t-shirts are awesome! I'd buy one that fits now, and continue to wear it, even when I am smaller :)

I don't think it'll look stupid! Good luck with making your choice!

I've lost over 5stone and only dropped one cup size!!So know where you are coming from.I'm a 14/16 top half and a 10/12 bottom half.It makes buying dresses a tad difficult though so defo know where you are coming from.

T-shirts are nearly always pretty stretchy so I'd go for something a little smaller so you can show off the new you and then if you lose more weight it just wont be stretched and will still look good

Lesleyxx

Lucky ppl! Ive only lost just over a stone and the only thing I see shrinking are my boobs!

Baggy t-shirts are awesome! I'd buy one that fits now, and continue to wear it, even when I am smaller :)

I don't think it'll look stupid! Good luck with making your choice!

I agree with the above ^ and not just because I spy a police box/TARDIS hehe

Since starting SW in November I've gone down from a 44DD to a 38C (embarrassing to post this, but think it is possible to go down in sizes).

The problem I find with baggy shirts is that if you buy a size too big then the arms are quite big too so if you lift you arm you can see your bra from the side.

Last edited:
Cheers guys!!
I went to a few shops today and did some trying on and measuring-to compare with the sizes available online. I really don't think I'm gonna go for the girl fit ones :( Even trying on tops that had the right chest measurement wasn't right-nothing girly fit went anywhere near me :eek:
Just need to decide between small or medium mens. I'm happy to wait a month or two to be able to fit into them properly, but as much as I love baggy clothes I don't want them to be too baggy. I have a large mens Threadless t-shirt and that is a little big now. Gah!
Does anyone else get that thing when a top gets too big and it triangles out in front of your tummy?? All my clothes seem to be doing that right now :p

I have noticed tho, esp trying on some stuff today, that I have gone down by almost two sizes in pants but hardly changed with tops :confused: Ah well, will just have to see where SW takes me :)

Btw, I'm very happy about keeping my boobs ;) Just a bit concerned about the belly, lol!
Kelly.xx

Since starting SW in November I've gone down from a 44DD to a 38C (embarrassing to post this, but think it is possible to go down in sizes).

The problem I find with baggy shirts is that if you buy a size too big then the arms are quite big too so if you lift you arm you can see your bra from the side.

No need to be embarrassed about posting sizes. I've gone down a couple of back sizes, but not cup sizes. I'm a 38DD at the moment :)

you have gave me hope about keeping my boobs thankyou, sorry im no good at top situation LOL...

however, my auntie is like a size 10 and she as biggest boobs ever and she has to buy big size top and she alters them herself when there not self fitting. the stictching at side just fold inside both sides and re stitch in neat line, then you still have room for boobs and top can shrink with you, esp if its a favourite!

That would be a good idea Gemma if I could do stuff like that, but I'm rubbish and can't :p I'm hoping if I get guys mediums that they wont look too big if/when I get to target. But I could always try and bribe someone to alter them for me ;)

I just ordered both t's in a guys medium. I will post pics of me in them as soon as they fit...but I have at least 3 weeks before they arrive ;)

great :) i'm sure you can persuade someone alter them!

Sizes over here in the USA vary a lot to the UK.... for example I am UK top 12/14 which is a large here...but Med in most places in the UK...I am a 14 bottom in the UK but a 10 here...dress sizes are worse as it could be anything from a size 6 to size 12 depending on the cut...shoes are 2 sizes bigger than the UK, and bra sizes are the same for the back but the cup sizes are different. Mens clothes are worse, hubby has had to get 2XL here when he is a med in the UK .... Its all very confusing and I would suggest that you buy in UK sizes where you can because shopping for clothes here in the USA will drive you insane...in saying that there is much more selection of clothes in normal shops the those that are a little larger

Thank you for your reply Miss Harley :) Luckily me and my Sister have bought stuff from one of the sites I have ordered from before-we have men's XL & L's here. Their on-sight size/measuring guide is pretty accurate too, so hopefully nothing will be too much of a surprise. There is nowhere else on earth (seriously) I would have got the designs, or even close, I wanted-esp as one is going out of print!! The other site tho, I have never used before, so I dunno. Their on-sight size guide did say that their women's XL were a UK 12-14, but did come up small. But I went for mens anyway :)
You're right tho, it's a bloody nightmare shopping for clothes anyway, but on American sights it's even worse!
Fingers crossed I will at least be able to fit into them at some point.x

Hi what american sites are you looking at for clothes girls would be really interested to see them? Thanks

Back