What style dress would suit me?

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
Hi all,

I'm hoping for a bit of fashion help as I'm useless! I'm pretty much a classic apple shape, and currently an 18 in looser clothes on top, or 20 in tighter styles, and an 18 on the bottom. I would really like a dress to wear to our Christmas party (3rd December) as I have never ever felt happy wearing one but think it's time I got over my phobia, lol! :eek:

Can anyone tell me what style would suit me as an apple shape? :confused: I'm a bit skint at the moment (story of my life!) but if anyone knows of any dresses that might suit I'd be grateful for the input!

Thanks!

Sian xxx

Hi dudette

If you google Gok Wan -then pick the channel 4 site there is a questionaire to decide your shape and then shows you what styles to go for ;)-guess who did this the other week? :p

I was going to suggest you go shopping, pick up dresses you like & not bother about the style try them on & see which you prefer. If you have a female honest friend to take with you that would be better.

Have a look on www.dress-for-less.co.uk

it is a discount web site and has some fabulous things.

I picked these 4 out as ones I like. If you want party, dressy, there is something of everything.

Oh bother. I am sure if you look on the site you will find something similar that you like and can wear.

I love the first one in the camel colour.

Good luck with the search.

The Trinny and Susannah body shape bible is FAB for finding the right styles of clothes for your shape.
They have redefined the female shape in to 12 different 'shapes'
51dVOdD0EqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Shape-Bible-Discover-Transform/dp/0297844547

I'll type up some of what is says for APPLE shape
Says NOT to wear
Tight T shirts
Big square T shirts
High waisted trousers
pleated waists
puffa jacket
mens jeans

The Apple key shapes
Tops that are tight under your boobs and then skim away over your tummy.
s2436662c101_1.png

http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/produc.../22954&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand
this type

T-shirts
Wide V neck, with rouches on the side, so the gathers fool the eye into what is ruffles of material or what is tummy
make sure it is long enough to cover tummy

Trousers
Flat fronted, deep waistband, that fasten on the side, Wide leg so they dont cling to bum, tum or thighs,

Coat
Straight duster coat, worn un buttoned, so it looks like you have been cut in to 3 long slim slices.

Skirt
Should always be side fastening and flat fronted. inverted box pleats start at a point below your tummy so not adding any bulk,

For your best party out fit it reconmends
Wearing all one colour or a dress in all over print will add 2 dress sizes to you.
Combining plain and print, or plain and texture breaks up and re shapes your silhouette.
They have a model dressed in a top with a big pattern on, tight under bust and lose over tummy, with a short sleeved short in length cardigan, again breaking up your shape, with a skirt with the box pleats.
worn with heels
This model is in green, so skirt and cardy in same colour, then green, black, white and turquise top (series of circles pattern)

Matalan is always good for cheapish stuff and in a wide range of sizes.
You could always have a look round the charity shops, obviously may not be anything, but worth a look.
I'd reconmend the Trinny and Susannah books though, maybe get them out the Library?
the Body shape bible, and the 2 what not to wear books

You could always watch the reruns of what not to wear if you have anyform of sky tv???

Back