What to do...a dog's life...

xMandyDx

Determination is Key
Okay so a few months ago my friend picked up a stray dog (a husky female), cleaned her up, tried to find owners (apparently the phone number on the chip were previous owners who had given her away to someone else and they had no way to contact them), and in the end had to give her to a shelter, as she had two akitas of her own.
Eventually the "owners" got wind of where the dog was and reclaimed her. Since then she's been brought to the vet as a stray numerous times, and is obviously not looked after very well, and is let roam wherever she likes.
Today I myself found her straying.

If I report their cavalier attitude to the shelter or animal welfare she will be taken off them, but she will undoubtedly end up PTS in the shelter. But if I don't, she'll end up knocked down on the road or over-bred by strange dogs. Ahhhh, what to dooo!!!!!

Any suggestions?

Aw how sad :(

I think that the way she's being treated at the minute is really really unfair. And I don't understand why the 'owners' would keep getting her back when she's at the vets or pound.

I would imagine, form how you've described the situation, that the vets etc know damn well what's happening here, however they probably have very little power to act.

Do you have a dogs trust shelter near you (I noticed you're in Ireland) as I know that they promise to never ever put a healthy dog down?

Other than that, do you know anybody that could perhaps adopt her next time she's at the pound?

It also sounds like the first owners weren't very responsible when rehoming her and not updating Her microchip. Why aren't the vets/pound enforcing this when she is collected?? xx

I have no idea why they are getting away with this! My dogs are never, EVER out and about without me, and always on leash. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to either of them (I have a husky female and a pomeranian male), and if I felt that I couldn't give them the home, family, exercise, attention and love they deserve, I'd find a new home for them. A GOOD new home. I'd make darn sure of that, and I'd be sure to get their promise too, that if they found themselves unable to care for them that they'd be returned to me, and only me. No dog deserves to be pushed from pillar to post. And she was a lovely little thing too, even today she jumped up on me and gave me a big kiss before high-tailing it away again before I could catch hold of her collar.
Unfortunately, I don't think we have a Dog's Trust anywhere near us, the only shelter being two towns away, and they do practice a PTS system. I'm honestly thinking about going back down near the area tomorrow and if I see her again, just taking her home and giving her a loving home...but stealing is wrong lol

Back