What to use instead of mix-a-mousse??

susan70

Gold Member
Im sure I read somewhere that you use something from the supermarket instead of cd mix-a-mousse, was it just normal gelatine??

powdered gelatine
the sheets are no good i believe

yes powdered gelatine, i was told to get that too, ended up coming back with the sheets, cus my loal tescos dont stock the powder! but now ive moved i keep forgetting! lol

lovely thankyou.xx do you happen to know how much to use??

with the powdered gelatine.. can you get it online or just from the shops? i want to try a mousse
thnks xx

How do you use gelatine or mix a mousse?

There's been lot's of discussions, try searching the minimins site using mousse as a searchword. From memory they've said to use Supercook powdered gelatine which you can buy easily from supermarkets cheaply. I think you melt it in warm water and then when it's cooled add it to your mixed shake and put in fridge for 15 minutes. Keep meaning to try it, when I do I'll post feedback.

What I do:

Mix half a sachet of supercook gelatine (about 6g) with about 50ml boiling water from the kettle.
When it's all dissolved, add cold water to about 120ml and mix in your pack.
When mixed, add a few ice cubes and swill until it starts to thicken, then fish out any part-melted ice cubes and put it in the freezer/fridge.

You can use the other half of the gelatine to make 250ml jelly and have trifle if you put the mousse on top :D

There's no difference in taste/texture, just that mix-a-mousse is far more expensive and takes less effort.

Back