Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

What to wear - summer!?!

Discussion in 'Nutrition, Health & Beauty' started by Sonya73, 12 April 2011 Social URL.

1. Sonya73

Sonya73 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    4st5lb(25.63%)
    Diet:
    just cutting down
    well, it was really hot this weekend - I went out in my normal clothes, and felt distinctly hot and overdressed.. everyone else was in summery gear, shorts, floaty tops... I need some new stuff because I've lost weight, but I have no idea how to 'do' summer..

Can anyone advise?

I am happiest in quite tailored clothes... I'm currently a size 14 in jeans (down from a tight 18), and an 18 in tops, down from 22-24...

I have been wary of buying too many clothes, as I am still losing weight, so my standby wardrobe at the moment consists of skinny jeans, knee high boots, a couple of v neck sweaters, and some plain, dark coloured tops and shirts. I tend to wear a tailored jacket and bright scarves too.

I feel confident enough in these clothes, as they cover the worst bits, but have no idea how to translate this into summer wear... I havent been this 'slim':rolleyes: since I was about 20, when my summer clothes consisted of sawn off knee length jeans, converse and battered t-shirts.. at 37 I don't feel that is quite appropriate now!

My legs are ok, but I have wobbly inner thighs, my bum's not bad (or so I'm told!) however, I do have a fat wobbly belly, love handles, and the muffin top!

My arms are not too bad, till the top few inches, but I am happier in tops with a short sleeve at least.

I don't like showing too much flesh, and I do need to look reasonably smart/casual. I have short, dark hair and am pale, and I look dreadful in white, or pastel colours - I tend to favour strong, clear colours, greys and black!

If any fashionistas can advise, I would be eternally grateful! :D

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. LornaGrace

LornaGrace Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    hi. Im not sure im a fashionista, but i think i look good. lol. :)
    If your comfortable in tailored clothes then i would go for linens, they are comfortable and look quite smart (pik attached) you can get them for almost any budget (new look have a good range) these can also be dressed up or down.
    dress down with a plain top, some accessories with matching bag flipflops etc. dress up with plain top even more accessories, nice jacket and heels. :rolleyes: also a few other piks i liked i thought i would attach...

Attached Files:

4. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(8.33%)
    Thank you LornaGrace for some good ideas:)

5. Sonya73

Sonya73 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    4st5lb(25.63%)
    Diet:
    just cutting down
    thankyou some great ideas lornagrace! They fit right in with my ideas too - I'm big on accessories, and tend to rely on a capsule wardrobe of several items at the moment, as I don't want to invest much in stuff that is not fitting me for long as I shrink!

I have made a start...with some shopping and some customisation of existing items!

I have a pair of skinny jeans that are getting a little loose on the waist - I have bought a smaller size now, but the old ones are wearable, and fine with a belt, so I am cropping them to calf length and hemming them this evening!

I have also picked up a couple of summer tops from asda today, they are similar in shape to the asos curve one you posted above (the black one on the right) actually - here's a link to one of them -
    Bird Print Camisole Top | Women's | ASDA direct

I've also picked up a couple of plain v neck t shirts, and cotton vest tops, which are good everyday standby items.

I also remembered I have a thin, black cotton shrug top, that I can wear with that to cover the shoulders and make me feel less 'bare'. Together, they look casual but neat, I think!

I'm going to get a pair of linen trousers too, and if I sort through my existing shoes, and maybe get some new ones if I see anything I like, I should be sorted for the basics!

ooh, Ive also disovered fake tan body lotion - and I feel much happier about baring a little of my wobbly bits when they are not quite so brilliant white1

6. LornaGrace

LornaGrace Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi sonya, glad you liked the ideas. i couldnt live without my linens now! there great for work in the summer to still look smart.
    Love the top you picked up from asda, i always forget about asda for clothes, anyway after reading you post last night, i went to asda living today and got some lovely stuff and a swim costume!
    Yeah i always find fake tan gives me a bit of a pick-me-up feeling!
    xxx

7. Sonya73

Sonya73 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    4st5lb(25.63%)
    Diet:
    just cutting down
    Asda is good for cheapish bits and bobs - which is what I need at the moment, I've had to buy new clothes two or three times in the last 8 months when everything has suddenly become too big and baggy!

I also find that buying new clothes a little on the tight side is a good motivator - I feel tidier in neat, well fitting things, and psychologically, if my waistband feels loose, I swear I subconsciously think I have a little leeway, and am less careful about how much I eat... it's a subtle thing, but I think it impacts on how I feel about my weight!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.