What VLCD is best?

kevwat83

Hi guys!
Just come back to Minimins after a year or so away.
I did CD a few years back and lost 3 stone, only thing is I fell off the wagon and have struggled to get back on ever since.
Have tried a few VLCDs off the net but didnt always find the products that nice.

Can anyone recommend a good VLCD that is easy on the wallet but the products are also good?

Im currently trying ***********, and the packs and bars are a bit... well.. bland to be honest.

Thanks guys!

I'm currently doing All About W8 which costs £49 a week. I think this is cheaper than Lighter Life and around the same as Cambridge, provided you're on four mealpacks a day.

The products are pretty much the same as Cambridge. I think most of the products on VLCDs are much of a muchness, give or take a few different flavours. The thing that made me choose W8 though was the fact that you can do it online -- you don't have to go and see a counsellor to get weighed and pick up your packs every week. You place your order online, and in my experience at least, my consultant hand-delivers it, so there is at least some contact. But it's so much more convenient for me to have my packs dropped off at my front door!

Hi kevwat83, :D

Have tried a few VLCDs off the net .
It will help to know which ones?

Can anyone recommend a good VLCD that is easy on the wallet but the products are also good?

As with everything it is always going to be a matter of personal taste. What some may find bland others will find quite ok.

I have just written elsewhere that if you expect the shakes of a VCLD food replacement product to taste like nesquick (other makes are avail) or the soups to taste like heinz, then of course you are going to be disappointed. As with any change of eating habits, your tastebuds generally do adapt if you give it a fair crack.

Love Myr xxx

i recommend exante...cheaper and the soups and shakes (and bars...yum) are loads nicer than cd (only other vlcd i tried) tho there isn't as much variety but...id take taste over variety anyday!!! at least they're palatable (i think its cos of the diary creamer...a few extra calories but weight losses really good still - mine r same as cd) xxx

I tried lipotrim and cambridge both with were initially successful. I found cambridge much nicer. I always thought nutrisystem was a good idea but never got around to it. I found maintainable success in the atkins diet eventually.

hi, been off for a year or so myself. did lipotrim last year and lost two stone. i have been on the be-yu diet from the beginning of this week, it is a similar thing but much more variety. ie cottage pie, red bean chilli, spag bol, and the bars are really nice, you dont feel like its a vlcd, also at £35 a week its a bit cheaper than the others. hope this helps, good luck.
carole

Hi - I started Exante this week and quite enjoy all the soups, bars and shakes. Only banana and strawberry I'm struggling with (down to personal taste though). I found exante after following a thread that said it was the cheapest. If you buy a bumper pack (4 weeks worth) it works out at £25 per week. I think it's reasonable and they deliver next day too. I'm loving exante at the moment - but I haven't ever done a vlcd before - so I have nothing to compare with. Hope the info helps. :)

i am also on exante and also loving it!!!!!!

I'm currently doing a VLCD, I really do want to shift the weight quite quickly if I was to exercise for 40 minutes a day 5 days a week including regular walking would I by any chance shift 40 pounds in 8 weeks?

I'm currently doing a VLCD, I really do want to shift the weight quite quickly if I was to exercise for 40 minutes a day 5 days a week including regular walking would I by any chance shift 40 pounds in 8 weeks?

Probably not. 14lb a month is doable, if you stick to it. The sort of loss above would be exceptional. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that sort of loss is by more luck than anything else. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Your aims are a bit on the ambitious side - 40lb in 8 weeks is achieveable if you're very lucky, and usually male. 99% of us are not that lucky, most of us on a VLCD aren't male. The amount of weight lost on a VLCD often depends on your starting weight, rather than the amount of exercise you throw in. The calorie intake on a VLCD is so low that for some people, the amount of exercise can make little difference to losses.

In fact it can be counter-productive. If you're not accustomed to very regular exercise before the VLCD, starting it now can make you feel awful, and can even lead to muscle wastage or feinting. If you're on a diet of subsistence rations, forcing your body to burn off energy you're taking in simply to keep your organs functioning can never be good.

So if you do want to exercise, steer clear of the extreme cardio.

On another front, please please please don't set yourself unreasonable goals. You should treasure any progress you make. Say, you do your VLCD 100% and achieve a loss about 2st (28lb) in that 8 weeks - that would be a monster achievement in itself! That would make most people throw a party! But if you have an impossibly achievable goal of 40lb, you will, in your own head, have 'failed'.

So I'm asking you to be kinder to yourself over this. You can do it, and it will be worth it. But please see every loss as a small victory in itself, and don't expect your body (which is a complex machine that doesn't take orders very well, and certainly doesn't do what you expect) to shrink as fast as you wish it would.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone else would agree but I found the taste of Lighter life shakes to be almost identical to Nesquik. If it wasn't the fact that I didn't get on with the meetings I'd have found it miles preferable to Cambridge as actually loved drinking the shakes, whereas I can't tolerate the sachets on Cambridge and have to drink icecold tetras as fast as possible almost holding my nose!

I am doing the flexinutrition diet, only started yesterday and had a banana shake last night which i thought was lovely. I have had the spicy spaghetti last night which im not too keen on, and cottage pie tonight which i also wasnt keen on. The porridge yesterday morning was nice, ans i also had an almond nougat bar which was okay, but very sickly.

I think im going to like the shakes more than the bars.

Good luck with your diet, whichever you choose.

I'm currently doing All About W8 which costs £49 a week. I think this is cheaper than Lighter Life and around the same as Cambridge, provided you're on four mealpacks a day.

The products are pretty much the same as Cambridge. I think most of the products on VLCDs are much of a muchness, give or take a few different flavours. The thing that made me choose W8 though was the fact that you can do it online -- you don't have to go and see a counsellor to get weighed and pick up your packs every week. You place your order online, and in my experience at least, my consultant hand-delivers it, so there is at least some contact. But it's so much more convenient for me to have my packs dropped off at my front door!

Hey there!

Many thanks for the financial info. I rechecked the W8 site earlier and not one word about how much it actually costs... I think this is very important so thanks again!

I used to be on CD and have never tried any other VLCD but the price of LL used to shock me.

Good luck x

I tried lipotrim and cambridge both with were initially successful. I found cambridge much nicer. I always thought nutrisystem was a good idea but never got around to it. I found maintainable success in the atkins diet eventually.

Hey!

I love Atkins. I think VLCDs lead naturally to Atkins or similar low carb maintenance. One sorta flows into another.

Back