What was "the final straw" for you?

enoughisenough

There may already be a thread on this but I've had a look and can't find it.

I was just wondering what was the final straw for you? What was the thing that made you think "that's it, this time I'm going to do it"? For me it was a build up of quite a few things but mainly turning 30 and realising that I need to start thinking of having children soon. There is no way I would consider trying to carry a baby at the weight I am now. Plus I want to be able to keep up with my kids in the park - not wobble on behind them!!

xx

My reason mainly was iv got a 2 and half year old, iv got older children 19, 17 ,15 i always tried to loss weight when they were young but never did, so i don't want to be a fat old mum in the playground, plus i want to do more things this time swimming, running after my little girl, and she's a very fast runner.

I got sick of food shopping - and getting stressed because all I bought was junk food!!

40 next year ,so i wanted to enjoy 39 and know i look n feel my best . Didnt wont the fat n forty jokes to follow either .I was not fitting in to my regular clothes , and felt so uncomfortable when out , i had resorted to magic knickers daily , not good ! it was time xxxxxx

no "big" moment I've been messing around with dieting for the last 5 years and scales just going one direction, and I stubbled across CD and thought, I can do that :)

The magic knickers were being worn more and more. My office chair was getting too tight to sit in ( it has those horrible arms on it ! ) Oh and I stopped wanting to go out in public preferring to hide away inside

no photo

for me it was having no pictures of me and my kids, i havent had a picture taken in 4 years so all around my house are pictures of the kids alone and with my partner. my son was born 3 months ago and i want to be in pictures with both my kids so i can say yeah i was there.

A combination of lots of things I suppose. I too have very few photos of me, I was missing out on many things with my daughter and had been for some years. Frightened of going out in public, embarrased about going out to eat, fed up of always looking like a slob because I only wore baggy clothes. The real crunch came when I cancelled our anniversary romantic weekend getaway to a posh hotel because I felt intimidated by the prospect and cried because I didn't want to go.

I think in the end, we all get to the point where we have to do something and I had tried many times before but each time I failed, that made me feel worse about myself. This time I am not going to fail, I might not be perfect but I am trying.

I am also going to embrace my summer holiday this year :bliss:

For me it was the number on the scales.

I hadn't weighed myself in since before I'd fallen pg with my son - I'd been 10½ stone then, and then when he was nearly 1 I went on some scales in Boots, fully expecting to see 13 stone something, and it came up as 15 stone 2:(

That was on the Monday morning, I immediately stopped eating junk, searched the internet for a way of losing the weight and found out about CD. I stopped eating carbs that afternoon, phoned the counsellor the next day, and arranged to see her on the Friday, and I was in Ketosis by the Thursday before I'd even started on CD.

I have gradually been putting on weight since I had a contraceptive implant fitted in sep 06 and although I know the implant in itself did not make me fat it did make me hungry and all I seemed to do was eat. I had managed to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight ealier that same year and seeing the scales rocket really got to me.
The more the weight started creeping up the more miserable I got and relationships with people deteriorated because I was feeling awful looking at my chubby face and chunky arms and not being able to fit into my clothes.

However, about 2 months back my weight came to an all time high and that was it!! I broke down crying and after seeing a woman at work doing CD I decided that I would try it. The best thing I have done since that sep 06!!! I have been on various diets during the last 2 yrs, none which worked so I am very pleased about this one.
I am already so much happier and can see a light at the end of the tunnel!!!
:D

mine was turning 30, made me think about a few things really.

a combination of things really, always seem to have been on a diet but never succeeded in finishing one and actually maintaining the loss, reaching 40, not wanting to suffer health problems in later life that could be attributed to obesity, vainity, my kids, i suppose if i sat down and gave it a lot of thought my list would be endless!

For me it was the fact that Im 24 and I felt so fat and frumpy and my belly was so bloated all the time. Me and my boyfriend were going to book a holiday in Egypt and I knew I couldnt go at the weight I was as I would feel miserable. I always remembered how I felt at 10 stone 3, and it was heart wrenchingly embarassing that I had put the weight back on - and more - so I thought that is it - im going to do it - there is enough pain there for me to stick to it this time, when i restarted last time at 10 stone 12, 11 stone 4 etc - it wasnt enough incentive for me to stick to it as i felt half ok.

Im now in my 5th week and have lost 20lbs. Must update my ticker!

You are all inspirational, its wonderful to read all of ur stories. x

My 9 month baby boy was diagnosed with leukaemia 2 months ago. I had put on weight when pg with him, and more since diagnosis.
Last week I watched my FIL die a very horrible undignified death through cancer, and I need to get myself healthy, and out of any "risk" groups.

My son will have treatment for 3 years, and I need to be there for him fit and well, and I need to be able to sleep at night without worrying about my health.

just want to enjoy life more with my kids and stop hiding away...
and possibly have to confidence to go on a date with a real life man!!!!

Just reading your posts has made me think of a few of my own reasons, I feel good writing these down, helps me remember why I'm doing it!

Firstly, I hate buying food! I think that the shop assistants must look at me and think "you really don't need that!" no matter what it is I'm buying. Also, if I ever did "need" chocolate I would always have to buy a fancy box so the assistant would think it was for a gift!! How stupid is that? Can't believe I just admitted to that!

Also, the photo thing that some of you have mentioned. I have hardly any of me. I sometimes do think if anything ever happened to me my DH would have no pictures to remind him of me. I don't mean that in a big-headed way but I hope you know what I mean. Plus I want my future children to have pictures on their Mummy in her "younger days!"

I am still so excited about this diet!!

All of my friends are skinny!! lol

I was skinny before I had my son and had medical probs so went up to size 22 - reduced this down to size 16 in 2 years by healthy eating and exercise but cant get below that....I want to boost my confidence for my hubbys sake as I hate being touched at the moment!!

My 9 month baby boy was diagnosed with leukaemia 2 months ago. I had put on weight when pg with him, and more since diagnosis.
Last week I watched my FIL die a very horrible undignified death through cancer, and I need to get myself healthy, and out of any "risk" groups.

My son will have treatment for 3 years, and I need to be there for him fit and well, and I need to be able to sleep at night without worrying about my health.

I am so sorry to hear about both your son and your FIL.

IT must be awful as a parent to watch your child go through treatment.

But you are doing something positive and he will grow up with a happy healthy mum and he will be as proud of you as you will be of him, going through his treatment.

(((hugs))) to you, and good luck, with everything.

Back