what was your turning point to join LL?

I am so glad that I began this thread. I am in awe at all of you for opening up and sharing your tales with us all. I have to admit that I have shead more than a tear reliving the cause of beginning LL with some of you. You are all an inspiration and i send you all love and hugs x

Well, there is some heart warming stories & heart wrenching stories in this thread, this is mine. (sorry its a long one)
I was a size 10 to 12 & about 9st, 17 years ago when I got pregnant with my first child, I put on a bit of weight & never really lost it. Then came the second child, I was very careful with this pregnancy & ate a lot of tuna salad & pilchards.(thats why he's so clever & tall!!) I didn't put on any weight but still hadn't lost the previous weight gain.
Then came the third pregnancy, he was a very large baby (10lbs 11oz phew!! others were 7lbs) I put on about 4 stone & only lost 1 after.
I became depressed about my weight & also my job, at the time my husband was registered disabled & had been since my first child was 6 months old. I was in a dead end job & had gone back to work 6 weeks after my baby was born, infact I hadn't stopped work. We needed the money & they set up a computor in my home & I carried on working.
I went off sick for six months - more weight gain, back to work for another 2 years, then depression set in again, another six months off & more weight gain.
At this point I decided to do some voluntary work & get some experience in another field. I then managed to secure my dream job & have been there ever since.
But for the last 6 years at work I have found one colleague very difficult, she undermined me, told people lies about me, infact it amounted to bullying, I also went through a very bad patch in my marriage. All this accumulated in me putting on more weight.
Evenutaually I was 17 st 3lbs.
I have tried, weight watchers, slimming world x 2, Rosemary Connelly, gym membership, Paul Mckenna, hypnotherapy, Atkins, Low GI, Xenical & they all worked for a while, but I got despondant & put more weight back on.
Then I started to get a leg pain that had been there previously, when I was overweight, but disappeared when I'd lost weight.
The pain in my leg was so bad I couldn't sleep, I had to lie on my back all night because whichever way I led it made it worse. When I started to cry in pain I knew I had to do something drastic.
This diet is a life saver & I'm so thankful to LL & my LLC, because if it weren't for them I wouldn't be here at 12 st 7lbs at this point in my life.
Life is now worth living & I am happy, things are going my way, I'm achieving my goals & every day is a gift.
It feels so good to be normal, I'm proud of myself & can now hold my head up high knowing that I look good.
Thankyou Lighter Life.

Hi

What an interesting thread. Sorry this is quite long.

I really developed a weight problem when I was 18 and started to earn my own money - we 3 kids all grew up hungry all the time, we weren't being maltreated but just never seemed to be fed enough so when I got my first wage I bought a loaf and some sandwich spread and hid it under my bed so I could "top up" after tea. Of course crisps and chocolate are much more convenient and soon replaced the sandwich idea. This habit of secret evening eating continued until this February (I am 43 in 2 days!) and large portions of everything didn't help. In fact sometimes I don't think I stopped eating all day. I heard about LL last year but didn't trust the idea of a VLCD diet but by january this year I was desperate. I weighed 18.6 which at 5ft is not a pretty sight, I couldn't even be bothered to get off the sofa in the evening to get my 8 year old a drink and would ask her to get it herself. All our lives were suffering. I was terrified that I would die in the night while my husband was working away and my daughter would be stuck in the house for a week with a dead body - I always took the phone to bed with me in case I got chance to ring 999 before dying. I thought that in 10 years I would be house or bed bound if not dead. We have a history of diabetes and heart disease in the family and I was diabetic when I was pregnant. Basically I felt and looked a mess and things were not going to improve without something drastic happening. I didn't want to do WW again as I had tried it so many times I just thought I was setting myself up for failure before I started. Then I remembered LL and it all "clicked" this time. Probably my main trigger though is that we want to emigrate to New Zealand and I needed a BMI of under 35. Mine was 50.7 now it is 36.7 and falling. We may not emigrate at the end of the day but I didn't want my weight to be the reason that the two people I love most in the world didn't get to move somewhere which would give them a much better future.

I think most of us have chosen LL because we are getting pretty desperate and nothing else has seemed to work. I truly believe it is a life saver and gives us far more chance of a healthy future than any other diet.

Wow reading your stories has made me want to open up and add mine so here goes...

I began to pile on the weight when my Dad left at about 8yrs old. I was a large child and was a very unhappy child at school from constant bullying. This just made me come home and eat more from comfort.

It wasn't really until I hit my teens (well 16-17yrs old) that I started to do something about it and joined WW where I lost about 2 stone. It didn't last, I put it all back on and more.

I had a boyfriend of about 5yrs and our lives revolved around eating. When I ended the relationship at 22yrs old I think I was at my heaviest ever. I don't know what happened but a light flicked on in my head and I re-joined WW and lost over 3 stone with them. Then my boyfriend (now fiance) and I moved from my home town to Surrey and with the new house, new job, new life, numerous visits from friends and family, the weight crept back on.

The last April 2006 - fiance proposed! I was so not expecting it. He's always been so good at the ''I'm not ready to get married blah blah'' stuff! Even during the dinner in which he proposed, he mentioned he wasn't ready to marry for another few years!!! LOL

So I was determined to get myself in shape and tried numerous different diets and eating plans but I just couldn't stick with them. Something would always crop up and pull me back down into old habits again.

Then in February this year, I went to get measured for my wedding dress to be told I couldn't have it as it didn't go above a UK size 20 (I needed a 24). I was devastated! But it still didn't kick me into action.

It only hit me about a month ago when we were visiting my parents. My Dad had been doing LL for about 1 month and had lost masses of weight already. He said seeing his baby girl suffer so much heartache after the incident with my wedding dress made him join, in the hope that he would do well and therefore encourage me to join. Initially I was very cross at his method and did a lot of stomping about ''why has my weight become such a problem for everyone in my family???'' I wanted to know. But after another failed go at WW, I knew with nearly 5 months to the wedding (now nearly 4!) something drastic needed to happen. I was totally inspired by my Dad and still am. He's been doing it for about 11 weeks now and lost well over 4 stone. He's the best Father in the world!

I clearly have issues with food. I always thought it was comfort eating but apart from being unhappy with my size, I have nothing to comfort eat for. I have a great job, good friends, amazing family and the most amazing, wonderful fiance anyone could ever ask for. I think I must just be addicted to or obsessed with food? I also have the problem that I think someone on here described as reverse body dismorphisis (or something!). I look at myself and believe I am thinner than I actually am.

So I joined LL on 30th May and started the following day. Its been 2 weeks but I've already lost 12.2lbs and I feel great. I really do. Not tired, more energy, just generally much happier in myself. It was hard going but I have got over the first 2 weeks and now it feels like this is my life until I've lost the weight. I've settled into it now and can not wait for the next 12 weeks to fly past!

Its not plain sailing... I'm suffering badly with wind and indigestion (whoops!) and I am desperately worried I will lose my hair before the wedding (14 weeks is up early Sept, we marry in mid Oct) but I will do this. I want to and need to!

Phew, sorry that was so long!!!

Ahhh Joo - that made me cry about your Dad - what a lovely lovely man.
I got married last year (whilst at my heaviest) and wish someone could have incented me like that. Instead I just went into rebelious child against all the "ohh when the diet start" comments. Good luck with the wedding - you are going to be amazing!

Keep em coming. Its really lovely to read peoples stories. Very personal and courageous of everyone to share. What a lovely dad you have bridejoo! Cant wait to see your skinny wedding photos!

Back