what was your turning point

At Christmas I was looking for a gorgeous dress to wear out Xmas eve and found one that was fairly loose fitting, but the material showed up all my lumps and bumps and before I could wear it had to invest in slimming pants and tights. Felt so uncomfortable all night as I could feel them rolling down and was scared my lovely (but camera happy) friend would catch a roll sticking out from under my boobs on a photo! I decided to do something about it after Xmas but to be honest that was nothing new! I would say how much I hated how I look and how nothing looked nice on me but do nothing about it.
Then just after new year I was sitting on my sofa (having conveniently forgotton Xmas eve embarrassment) and I noticed in horror that my tummy was sticking out further than my DD boobs. THAT was the turning point after months of accumulated humiliation and shame. 8 weeks later almost 1 stone down and tummy is no longer the biggest lump on my front! :)

With me it was a combination of :-

Turning into one of my old patients, the fat one's, who sat on their backsides playing on the computer for hours.

Only having the choice of 3 outfits.

My legs swelling up in the recent mild weather.

I went back to class this morning.

I know i guess we all have to realise none of us were born this way x:)

Exactly - It's kind of hit me today that I can't carry on eating all this crap and expecting to lose weight. I also want to go for a promotion at work but am too self concious right now :cry:

Exactly - It's kind of hit me today that I can't carry on eating all this crap and expecting to lose weight. I also want to go for a promotion at work but am too self concious right now :cry:

you could just try going for it and your confidence might come? your on the right track anyway and i find that knowing i'm losing weight gives me an extra added confidence ;)

you could just try going for it and your confidence might come? your on the right track anyway and i find that knowing i'm losing weight gives me an extra added confidence ;)

I know it sounds a bit cheesey but I do all sorts of things now that I have lost weight. I was never a shrinking violet but am much more confident.
I went swimming last week and when looking for my pal in the water I didnt feel the need to cover my body up and run and get in quickly - I did a bit of a Baywatch pose lol! x

After 2 strokes, being a type 2 diabetic,out of breath, high blood pressure and being unable to walk more than a few yards I saw a SW class at our local community centre and started to talk to the consultant, got the doctor to pay for 12 weeks and started the next week.
1st "diet" that wasn't a diet, I found that I could eat most food that I liked and a great choice of food.
Now my blood pressure is normal, my joints don't hurt any more, my daily tablets reduced from 13 a day to 7 and I eat home made food with a greater choice than ever before and a great SW class and people.

I rejoined a group last night, definitely the biggest I've ever been but I will never be that weight again. Feeling very positive today!

I always knew I was big. Ever since puberty. But I hit Uni, paninis for breakfast, crisps, chocolate mice, then burger and chips, or massive jacket potato with tuna mayo AND cheese.... And I gained about 2.5 stone in a year. Ontop of being already about 14 stone.

I squeezed into size 20 jeans, in denial, could hardly walk they were so tight on my thighs. And I broke the button on the first pair I tried. But still I didn't really do anything.

Then my aunt joined SW to support a friend. and I realised that if I didn't do it now, I'd be continuing with the denial, getting bigger and ultimately less confident and paranoid about people looking and what they thought.

Added to that I knew I had a major heart operation coming up, and it's never good to be over weight anyway, but putting extra strain on my heart??? I felt disgusted.

And then even after I'd had my initial WI, the look of shock on my mums face when I told her how much I weighed...

Wow. If never really put that all together before...

My turning point was last summer when I was sitting in one if those plastic garden chairs. When I went to get up, the chair came with me, stuck to my backside! Lol

I lost 2 stone in the summer following Low GI but I had a horse riding accident and broke a few ribs, the 2 stone crept back on over 4 months with being quite immobile for a while.

So I joined on 12th Jan and here I am 9 weeks later and 33lb lighter.

Mine was realisation that I've fought cancer and winning but along with that I've grown bigger and bigger...
In need of new boobs so consultant said he will do, but would help if I lost weight (he is so polite, lol )
Joined on Tuesday after putting it off for last 3 wks and not happy, biggest I've ever been! So here goes this has got to be it!!!

Mine was seeing a photo of a group of friends together and saying who's the fat one to my hubby after a few seconds it finally dawned on me it was me

I still don't know how I have not noticed getting to 18 stone and not doing anything about it. Never mind though second week in and have Lready lost 7 lbs I know this is the pla. To help me loose it and keep it off

After having my son I wanted to be fit & healthy for him. That & the fact that my tummy & boobs are destroyed so the only thing I could do to make me feel better about my appearance was to lose weight! X

When my aunty told me that I had gotten "fat in the face, like 'what's her name' off tele" She said this in front of my family and I was mortified! They all thought that it was funny! :(

When I was told I could have uterine cancer. Luckily turned out to be PCOS instead but even that made me realise that my weight was damaging me. Plus the pill i'm on gives me sever depressive moods and the only way i can get off them is to get within BMI range. I'd already lost 3 stone and gave up cos I thought I was happy as I was...still 3 and half stone overweight...back to nearly 4 stone overweight and I decided I needed to change, if I stay like this I am only going to slowly kill myself and never be happy with who I am.

My light bulb money was someone jokingly asking me if I'd lost weight at work, and everyone around us laughing at the hilarity of the thought. The worst bit was even though deep down I knew I'd put weight and was very unhealthy, for a split second I thought by some miracle I could have lost a bit. That was until everyone fell around laughing at me.

That was just before Christmas and come the first Wednesday in January I joined sw despite being really I'll with flu. It was hard facing up to being just over 15 stone. But I've not looked back since, I've lost 2 stone and half a pound and looking forward to loosing the next 2 stone to get to target.

And to the work colleges that laughed at my expense, although it hurt like hell and was humiliating, I'm thankful, because until that awful moment I was in denial that my weight wasn't a problem. Who knows, I might have got even bigger!

Back