What was your turning point?

Since having kids I hovered between 9st 7lb and 10st until four years ago when I gained over a stone during a stressful six months. I have struggled to lose this weight despite trying Weightwatchers, counting calories and other diets. I lost and gained the same few pounds and my blood sugar was just under the borderline for high.

In December last year I relaxed my diet and was horrified to realise I'd gained another stone. I wasn't too bothered as I thought I would lose it quickly. I gave myself a month and decided if I couldn't lose it I would give SW a go. I made no progress so here I am.

I am approaching it differently this time, if there is a special occasion l have given myself permission to eat what I want as long as I get back on plan the following day. If I have a small gain or slow loss through this so be it.

My wake up call was when I started to suffer with an irregular heartbeat which is a dreadful feeling. I was referred to a Cardiologist who asked about heart disease in the family. I reeled off both my parents long lists of heart related problems and my grandmothers, to which she replied 'don't you see you're on the same road?' You know their consequences, this is your opportunity to get off that road' that was the 2nd of Jan this year, on the 3rd of Jan I went to SW, and to date have lost 2.5 stone. I love food, all foods, but I love life more.

I was so uncomfortable all the time. Even my big comfy pjs were too tight. My bra pinched. I couldn't bend to cut my toenails without going 'oof'.
I had to wear a boring top and tight, falling-apart skirt for my boyfriend's birthday do.
I hated how I looked in my summer holiday pics, and realised I hadn't seen a nice picture of myself in years.
My BMI finally tipped into obese as I edged into the 13 stone bracket.
I have PCOS but my periods were generally once a month. I started skipping them completely as my weight went up and got really scared as I'm getting towards the years where I might start planning a family.
My knees (I also have an old injury) were creaking and crunching and hurting.

And as luck would have it, the same summer that all these things really sunk in with me, I heard of three friends who'd lost loads on SW and loved it!

I have long said I don't want to be fat and forty but when 2014 finally arrived, so did my deadline! So I think that has focused me in the zone for the first time in years.

I had been flirting with slimpods for quite a while towards the end of last year and all I achieved was putting on an extra half a stone whilst waiting for a switch to go off in my head (although it did cure my caffeine habit). What prompted me to stop dicking around and actually rejoin SW was my 2 year old son squishing my tummy and gleefully shouting "BOUNCY CASTLE!"

Thanks, I think my running started as more like a shuffle/jog but I'm now 15.8 and I think I'm running now. My legs have amazing muscles. I keep looking at them in the bath unable to recognise them! And my bum's got much smaller. I'm convinced it's changed my shape.
Whenever I've lost weight in the past, it's always gone from my face first. Now I am noticing that my thighs, hips and bum have the noticeable initial loss. Running definitely changes your shape!

For me it was seeing a picture of myself on a night out, and I looked a state, that and I'm sick of complaining but not taking action! I thought to myself ah I'm not that big I don't have much to lose, thinking I was 13 stone and a bit.. Shock of my life stepping on those scales to read 14lb2!

For me, it was when I was sorting some photos out with my Mum and Dad on. They were both killed when I was fourteen and I cherish the photos so much. However, it made me realise how few pictures of myself I allow to be taken and, therefore, how few there will be for my 'children' to look through when I'm gone.Not planning on going anywhere soon btw! :)

Kathy

After having 2 strokes & being told by your doctor that if you continue as your were, you would be dead in 6 months was good enough to kick me into gear! I thank him whenever I go to the doctors, which is very rare now.....

Hey! And just think! Now you're a star, with your own recipe thread and hundreds of fans!! :D

Kathy x

That's a good idea for a mini target! Thank you, I liked some of my wedding photos but so many holidays I've taken pics and not had my pic taken or hated all the ones I'm in, sick of feeling like that all the time x

I know exactly what you mean but, since I've lost some weight (still a way to go yet) I'm happier to have my photo taken and really hope you find this too. Good luck. :)

Kathy x

I am 28 years old and I have been on some kind of "diet" for 15 years, yet strangely I'm still overweight (massively) and still yo yoing through life. I've been a binge eater for many years and one night not so long ago I sat downstairs alone while bf in bed I was secretly eating away as usual. There was hardly anything in to eat that I liked yet I still ate anything I could get my hands on. I was eating cold rice pudding from the tin and I just stopped and realised what I was doing. It was horrible and I burst into tears and decided then to go back to sw for the 3846247 time. I sound bonkers! But I think it's finally clicked.
Health wise I constantly feel like s--t aching, tired, run down, irregular heartbeat etc and I'm so scared of not being able to look after my son properly.

Wow! I know what you mean about it suddenly clicking but, at least now, the time sounds right for you. If there wasn't any food in the house to pick at, I'd get the cookery books out and bake a batch of scones or something! It's crazy, isn't it? Well, let's hope this is the final time for both of us! :)

Kathy x

Interesting to read some more turning points! It is crazy the lengths we find/found ourselves going to, just glad to be here now and weight going the right way. Amazing how long I buried my head in the sand for, wish id got a grip sooner (and discovered sw sooner!) and I could have got to target ages ago.
But I suppose good things come to those who wait (and stick to plan) so lets carry on :) x

I was only thinking to myself earlier on that I wished I'd bitten the bullet 4 years ago and lost some weight.

For me, the tipping point was struggling to buy a pair of jeans in my size from a shop and hating how I looked in photos.

Although I'm still staying behind the camera rather than in front of it, physically I'm feeling better for the 1.5 stone I've lost so far. I'm finding it easier to run up and down the hockey pitch when I'm umpiring and my favourite pair of skinny jeans are actually loose round the waist (which is a first!).

For me it was having to wear work clothes to my mum's 70th birthday party rather than a pretty dress, because I had slowly increased the size of my work clothes through necessity - needing them every day, but the pretty dresses stayed at the back of the cupboard waiting for special occasions. When a special occasion came along none of them fit.

For me it was when i tried to put on my old clothes. I gained weight rather slowly so it wasn't very obvious when i bought new clothes every season a bit bigger than the previous one. but when i compare clothes of "now" and "3 years ago" i was in shock. so i decided "enough is enough" it is time to face my weight((

Mine was building our first triple wardrobe in our house, there was a lot of standing whilst hubby did the manly bits of screws, hammering etc and as I carry most my weight round my middle, the weight was actually hurting and pulling at me. I had to keep sitting down to ease it. It took so much longer to make it. Also I knew that eating a large share bag of crisps within two consecutive evenings wasn't healthy. Neither were the spots all over my face and going to Lakeside shopping Centre with friends who are all size 10-14 and not being able to buy things.

there were actually more, but I knew that to solve the problem I needed to re-educate myself, a long hard process. It's still difficult occasionally now but the healthy food optimising life is getting to be 2nd nature.

Mine was a couple of weeks ago.

For the past 3 years I've bobbed between 10st 7 lbs and 11st and generally I'm "okay" with it but the past six months I've passed the 11st mark. I've spent the whole time 'trying' to lose weight (trying is very very loose) but just spend most of the time hating myself for failing....still wasn't the kick I needed

Then the moment happened....I went to my beloved Jane Norman to try on some maxi dresses. Usually I can walk out of the shop with some item of clothing but today it just wasn't going to happen.

I tried on 3 maxi dresses and in all of them I had a "jelly belly" with lumpy hips and I just wanted to cry. At first I contented myself it was the colour (I tried on turquoise and orange) but when I looked the same in black I knew it was time.

So feeling s**ty with my failings and not fitting into Jane Norman clothes was my turning point.

Did try a week with WW failed again and thought right back to SW. Time to get healthy, happy and contented x

The other day my grams said to me out of the blue "I wouldn't worry about having not lost your baby weight love, I heard on the tv that it takes 9 months to put on so 9 months off". Going by that I have 2 weeks to lose it all ;)
In all seriousness though, I've been unhappy with my weight for quite some time. And wanting to be healthy for my child growing up has given me a well timed kick up the bum!x

Back