What was your turning point?

I still go walking but not as far as I want to do as I used to do especially when I use a walking stick most of the time

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I have been thinking about rejoining for a while. I originally lost over 7st with a vlcd then joined slimming world. I stopped when I got pregnant with my daughter 3years ago and have put back on all that I lost plus a lot more.

I am feeling really unfit now, my weight is definitely affecting my health, proven by the fact that I have developed a leg ulcer at the grand old age of 34. I am not diabetic and my circulation is fine so weight is the culprit.

I feel bad that I can't play properly with my daughter and have had a couple of scary incidents of her running away from me and me struggling to catch her :(

I struggle with exercise due to a mobility problem and the hours I work but am trying to walk more and build it up from there.

I am feeling very motivated at the moment, I hope it continues :)

Sorry for the essay!

First thing, good luck in your journey and we'll be behind you 100%

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Thanks all. I joined last week so have my first weigh in tomorrow (eeek)

I don't think that I could describe my turning point as one particular event. I've dieted on and off in the past but never felt that I needed to commit to this extent. I have just finished doing a four year degree at Uni, during which I slowly but surely piled on the pounds through easy access to vending machines, study break munching, too many takeaways and way too many boozy nights :eek:. By no means did I start out skinny but the realisation began to dawn when I couldn't fasten yet another pair of jeans. I had gone up three clothes sizes and put on nearly four stones over the last four years, not good at all. It was always something that 'I'd see to later', after exams or when I get back from travelling. I told myself that I don't have these excuses anymore, because that's all they were, excuses, not real reasons. I realised it each time I ran for the train and got out of breath, when I saw my Grad Ball and Graduation photos and cringed, when it got to the point that friends bringing out the camera meant that it was time to sneak out or hide at the back of the group so that the world of Facebook wouldn't have to be subjected to yet more images of my flabby arms on friend's pages. It's horrible and it's embarrassing and one day, a few weeks ago, I just decided: it's time to do something about it. If I don't it will only get worse. There's no better time than when determination comes along and gives you that long awaited kick up the backside. :D

Have been doing slimming world on and off for years and am just sick of being the 'fat' friend. Am extra determined to stick to it this time!

Thanks JanetElizabeth :D

I have been thinking about rejoining for a while. I originally lost over 7st with a vlcd then joined slimming world. I stopped when I got pregnant with my daughter 3years ago and have put back on all that I lost plus a lot more.

I am feeling really unfit now, my weight is definitely affecting my health, proven by the fact that I have developed a leg ulcer at the grand old age of 34. I am not diabetic and my circulation is fine so weight is the culprit.

I feel bad that I can't play properly with my daughter and have had a couple of scary incidents of her running away from me and me struggling to catch her :(

I struggle with exercise due to a mobility problem and the hours I work but am trying to walk more and build it up from there.

I am feeling very motivated at the moment, I hope it continues :)

Sorry for the essay!

Wow, Falafel! Well done to you for taking control and being so determined. Because you've done it before, like me and many more of us, you know SW works so just stick at it and, any time you're feeling demotivated, just pop on here and there'll always be someone to chat to, offering advice and friendship. And, as you've already highlighted, what better reason to lose weight than for your lovely little daughter. Good luck! :)

Kathy x

I don't think that I could describe my turning point as one particular event. I've dieted on and off in the past but never felt that I needed to commit to this extent. I have just finished doing a four year degree at Uni, during which I slowly but surely piled on the pounds through easy access to vending machines, study break munching, too many takeaways and way too many boozy nights :eek:. By no means did I start out skinny but the realisation began to dawn when I couldn't fasten yet another pair of jeans. I had gone up three clothes sizes and put on nearly four stones over the last four years, not good at all. It was always something that 'I'd see to later', after exams or when I get back from travelling. I told myself that I don't have these excuses anymore, because that's all they were, excuses, not real reasons. I realised it each time I ran for the train and got out of breath, when I saw my Grad Ball and Graduation photos and cringed, when it got to the point that friends bringing out the camera meant that it was time to sneak out or hide at the back of the group so that the world of Facebook wouldn't have to be subjected to yet more images of my flabby arms on friend's pages. It's horrible and it's embarrassing and one day, a few weeks ago, I just decided: it's time to do something about it. If I don't it will only get worse. There's no better time than when determination comes along and gives you that long awaited kick up the backside. :D

Well done, Bethanie, for joining SW and Minis. I think we're all guilty of making excuses about our weight but it's horrible when it makes you feel so self-conscious and unhappy, dodging away from having photos taken, hating buying new clothes, etc. I think, when you read through each and every one of the messages on this 'Turning Point' thread, you realise just how deeply unhappy weight gain makes you feel and how it impacts so much on every day life.
Good luck with your weight loss and maybe this is the right time for you to grab the bull by the horns, so to speak! :D You sound very determined anyway!

Kathy x

Thankyou Kathy, that's so true.

Mine was being diagnosed with depression and post traumatic stress disorder, I hid away from the world from about 17 years old and piled on the weight. I wouldn't go out anywhere or see my friends. I used to be in my bedroom 24/7 eating and eating.
Finally had enough and went to see my GP who sent me for counselling and now almost 10 years later I feel like a different person. I'm not 100% happy with myself (I don't think I ever will be, but I'm okay with that :)) but I'm closer than I ever was and I'm proud of myself for that. It's a long road but I'm on the way and that's what matters :) xxx

It is encouraging to hear my turning point has been similar to so many off you, cannot wait to drop the pounds!

My 35th birthday was on Wednesday just gone. I am starting a new job tomorrow so decided that, after a long period of feeling really low (long story), I would give my confidence a boost by spending some birthday money on a few new clothes for my new job. I'd already decided that it was time to do something about my weight and posted about it here but when I struggled to do up the Size 22 trousers I knew this was definitely the moment. It's time to change - starting SW tomorrow evening.

Welcome Zendognine. Hope you enjoy SW, it's great once you get the hang of it - the best thing about it for me is not feeling deprived! You'll find loads of lovely people on here to give support and share recipes too. Good luck with the new job :)

Cheers Bethanie :) Nervous but looking forward to my first SW class tomorrow night :) I am hoping tat because I will have to learn how to do SW and will have to pay attention to what I am doing, it will make me focus more and so think before I eat! Love the forums too - think they're going to be so helpful! x

Back