what wholemeal bread do you buy?

I used to have the Sainsbury's economy wholemeal (800g and 2 slices) and cut off the crust along 1 side of 1 of the slices of bread as 2 slices weighed about 60g. They then changed the thickness of their slices so it no longer works, however have found that Morrisons wholemeal bread (75p per loaf) 2 slices weighs about 62g so I cut 2 sides of crust off and hey presto 57g and a decent sized slice!

*** Health warning *** You do need to weigh each slice

Kingmill do a 400g loaf of the tasty wholemeal bread (saw it in sainsburys), but if you weigh 57g which is how much you can have at a HEB (of the 800g loaf), it gives you a slice and a half.

The kids have the 800g, while I have the 400g, so I weighed it to see lol.

So if one slice is 4 syns, I cant see the harm in having 1 HEB and syning the extra 1/2 slice which would be 2 syns. As your allowed to have 57g as a HEB, the left over half could be syned.

Also wanted to point out that kings mill tasty wholemeal rolls always weigh to 57g or under. You could just scoop a little out to bring the weight down if needs be, but everyone I have weighed has always been dead on or under.

Edit: I didn't even notice the date of this post as was searching for syns lol

Last edited:
I thought we could have 60g of wholemeal bread? I also buy a 800g loaf, see how many calories are in the bread, as a lot of breads vary & Syn over the 60g

Silvermaneuk said:
Kingmill do a 400g loaf of the tasty wholemeal bread (saw it in sainsburys), but if you weigh 57g which is how much you can have at a HEB (of the 800g loaf), it gives you a slice and a half.

The kids have the 800g, while I have the 400g, so I weighed it to see lol.

So if one slice is 4 syns, I cant see the harm in having 1 HEB and syning the extra 1/2 slice which would be 2 syns. As your allowed to have 57g as a HEB, the left over half could be syned.

Also wanted to point out that kings mill tasty wholemeal rolls always weigh to 57g or under. You could just scoop a little out to bring the weight down if needs be, but everyone I have weighed has always been dead on or under.

Edit: I didn't even notice the date of this post as was searching for syns lol
Just to let you know that the HEb allowance is now 60g of wm bread :)

kim63 said:
I thought we could have 60g of wholemeal bread? I also buy a 800g loaf, see how many calories are in the bread, as a lot of breads vary & Syn over the 60g

This is a really old post! You're right! It's now 60g

I use weight watchers wholemeal bread, its really nice as a sandwich or toasted! :)

I used tesco's own brand wholemeal rolls, they are really soft and stay fresh for at least 5 days. There are 6 in a pack and they don't cost too much so are good value for money.

Donnie46 said:
I like WW thicker wholemeal sliced bread (for toasting) it's 2 slices for a HEXB and I really like it, it holds a sandwich filling very well too without breaking up as the thinner sliced bread does.

I use ww thick wholemeal It's fab doesn't fall apart and its not thin and whispy and doesn't dry to a crisp when you toast it

cat yoyo greaves said:
I use ww thick wholemeal It's fab doesn't fall apart and its not thin and whispy and doesn't dry to a crisp when you toast it

Me too. You feel like your getting a proper sarnie using this bread.

Morrisons or tesco own brand medium 800g loaf slices are actually quite thin. I have 2 slices as a HEB and they usually weigh around 58 - 60g

I've been having Warburtons 5 seeded batch loaf - 2 slices from the 400g loaf weighs 60g - is this ok? It's really tasty and filling

elsmar30 said:
I've been having Warburtons 5 seeded batch loaf - 2 slices from the 400g loaf weighs 60g - is this ok? It's really tasty and filling

I don't think that you can count it as a hex but you could always ring syns hotline to see

i bought some 'nimble' wholemeal yesterday, going to have it toasted with scrambled eggs this morning, will let you know!

I just buy any brown bread and cut off the crusts to make 2 slices 60g. I don't make sandwiches though as I don't find them filling, only have bread when I want some toast with egg or a sw fry up.

skinnyminime2b said:
I just buy any brown bread and cut off the crusts to make 2 slices 60g. I don't make sandwiches though as I don't find them filling, only have bread when I want some toast with egg or a sw fry up.

Just be careful as brown bread isnt a HEb, it's only wholemeal, unless listed specifically in the books :)

Back