What word do you dislike the most and why

The phrase I hate most is 'End of' I hate that. That and 'at the end of the day' but that may because my ex said it about 200 times a day

Fab thread!
Mine have been used, I hate nice (English Teacher memories) as it doesn't mean anything and is not an adjective.
I also absolutely hate 110% or 200% or anything more than 100%. I shout at the tele when people say it "it's not bl00dy possible!!!"

I don't like phlegm. Ewww.

I hate the percentage thing too, anything over 100% makes a statement meaningless in my opinion.

My own personal hate is the word 'retarded', which some people (aka twerps) use about my son. Whilst technically correct it makes me sad that they couldn't think of a less ugly word.

Nice!

If you're going to describe something, please think of a more interesting adjective than nice - grrrrrrrrrr! (Think that comes from the teacher in me!)

I'll second that. If nice is the best word to describe it, then don't describe it at all. Innit ;)

I hate the word 'geezer'. I also hate the grammar 'would of' or 'should of'. I know just being fussy. I hate being called sweetheart. No I am NOT your sweetheart!! Unless I really am his sweetheart. My Dad can say it. he he.

Lynda

I just thought of another I hate... FINE.

It is a bit like nice really it is just so bland and non descriptive. My OH and I have a daily disagreement when I say "how was dinner?" (that I have just lovingly prepared and cooked) and he says "fine".

Fine? Bloody fine?! I didn't spend an hour slaving over a hot stove for 'fine'!

Urgh...

Nice!

If you're going to describe something, please think of a more interesting adjective than nice - grrrrrrrrrr! (Think that comes from the teacher in me!)

And the other one... it's not a word exactly, but the incorrect use of words or grammar, e.g. We was going to the shops. No, you WERE going to the shops!!!!! Grrrrr again!!!

xx

I had a teacher who refused to let us use nice to describe anything, I blame her for my flowery vocabulary that sticks out like a sore thumb where i live. People always say im posh because of it, im not at all im just scared that Mrs Goldenburg wil appear in a puff of smoke if i use the word nice and give me "The Glare of Doom".

My most hated word in all the world is Panties. It makes my skin crawl, why do ladies pants have to be called something so sugary and sickly? Theyre just pants, like mens pants with less stains in more aesthetic colours.

There are some abbreviations which I hate. The worst two are "cuppa" and "uni". I just cringe whenever I hear them, which is unfortunate as so many people use them (including people in my family!).

But the worst thing, the thing I hate most of all is "train station". It's a RAILWAY STATION!!!!

i have a small phobia and therefore hate everything to do with 'eggs'!! the thought the feel, the sound, the taste!!! Oh and i hate the adoption of 'whats occurin'! i live in Barry where it is filmed and it's only said in jest but it jars!!!!!

my 10 year old stepson has the annoying habit of reiterating himself during a sentence! eg. i like swimming i do! Annoys the hell out of me

I just thought of another I hate... FINE.

It is a bit like nice really it is just so bland and non descriptive. My OH and I have a daily disagreement when I say "how was dinner?" (that I have just lovingly prepared and cooked) and he says "fine".

Fine? Bloody fine?! I didn't spend an hour slaving over a hot stove for 'fine'!

Urgh...

I used to moan at my O/H for using that word to describe my cooking, now he uses the word INTERESTING! I now hate that word too.

Great post!

Sweetheart is my pet hate of the moment.

Let me tell you a story:

I work in IT which is still quite a male dominated profession, infact I am the only girl on my IT support team.

A 'full on' techy came to the door of my secure office the other day and knocked.

I aswered the door...

'Hello Sweetheart I have come to fix the broken computer....'

Luckily it was quickly apparent to him that he had entered the wrong room and was hurried out by one of my collegues.

Another of my collegue who sits next to me commented 'I thaught that I must have heard him wrong cause he was still breathing!'

Mine isn't so much a word in itself but it is when people say 'me' instead of 'my', as in 'I'll just drink me tea' etc, that seriously annoys me beyond endurance, and also referring to children as 'kids' -- so you can only imagine my fury when I constantly hear 'me kids' all the time instead of 'my children'.

Just a little pet hate...xx

And while I am being "boringly pedantic" - that's what someone called me once, and he was surprised to find that I took it as a compliment! - what about apostrophes??

I saw a poster in Reading today which asked us all to come along when some minor celebrity I have never heard of "turn's on the Christmas lights". TURN'S!!!!! I kid you not.

"Alright chick" sounds awful
"You know" at the end of a sentence drives me insane
"C***" makes me cringe and have been known to slap someone for it

My boyfriend goes mad when people say "Guesstimate" because (as he frequently points out) "guess" and "estimate" are both perfectly adequate words and mean more or less the same thing!

I hate the percentage thing mentioned earlier. Ugh.

Back