What's so scary about target?

*Emsie*

Gold Member
It seems that so many people do really well with their weightloss and then when they get within reach of target there can start to be problems. In have seen this on here and at group. I having been thinking about reasons for this as I am about a stone away from target now(I think) and wondering how much of it is emotional rather than or as well as physical.
Some of the things I have been thinking is that for me to say yes I am where I am happy with myself now is almost putting myself up for criticism. (The weight I think I will try and maintain isn't what I should be on the scale) The weight was a whole lot of armour to hide behind for a very long time!
Also it will be a change on the journey I have been on/am continuing on. Although I intend to carry on with eating sw if its not to lose but maintain it will be differently.
These are just a couple of the reasons I could think of for me personally. Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Hey Emsie.

I have been dotting around this site for a while now and I know what you mean. I think it just seems to get rather daunting that something you have worked for for such a long time is just around the corner and then we get lazy and start thinking that we have done so well we don't mind staying where we are. I know I am personally finding my last 12 pounds difficult. Continually had good loses and not one gain but now it's slowed to 1/2 a week. Ive tried this week cutting my portion sizes a little and cutting out tonights alcohol syns :-(

Allie I know exactly what you mean. My target was 10.4 and then I got to that and my head kept wanting more so I change it to my 2 and a 1/2 stone award. Now half a pound off that and have just changed target again. How long have you both been at sw?

My target is a way off and its at the point where i want to end up soo when i reach it i will be happy as then through sw you are movtivated to stay at target, obviously i will have some mid way points, just looses of any kind would be awesome now.

Any loss is fabulous news purple sky. And the good thing is that we all managed to get to group in the first. I think the plan is great, especially once your at target.

*Emsie* I know what you mean!

I think it might simply be as you nearer target it becomes more difficult to lose. There is also the "psycological" factor too - a sort of "fear of target" sort of thing.

I know I might get flamed for this, but I relate to by own experience in my own group, but some people once they near target clearly do not follow the plan - as a result they drift in and out of target range.

I'm 15lb from my own target, and unless all 15 comes from my the area between my knees and chest, I will be re-setting target!

That's just like me purple. Always doubting myself at weigh in and changing targets, but its one of those things that only you yourself will know.

*Emsie* I know what you mean!

I think it might simply be as you nearer target it becomes more difficult to lose. There is also the "psycological" factor too - a sort of "fear of target" sort of thing.

I know I might get flamed for this, but I relate to by own experience in my own group, but some people once they near target clearly do not follow the plan - as a result they drift in and out of target range.

I'm 15lb from my own target, and unless all 15 comes from my the area between my knees and chest, I will be re-setting target!

But the phsyical thing doesn't make sense completely to me as say my target weight will be anothers start weight so if they can lose weight at that point I should be able to.
It could be a kind of complacency with people but if they are happy with where they are at then they could just have that as their target. I personally think there is a lot of fear/ difficult emotion involved for some people.
Good luck with those lbs I am hoping my last stone comes off my tummy and thighs!

My old consultant always used to say that the real work started when you got to target.

I know for me in the past, when i've got to weights i'm happier with I think i can slacken off on the diet a bit and I start reintroducing foods with aren't SW compliant. Then more of these foods creep in, and my weight will stay the same for a while, then all of a sudden it will literally jump up by a stone.

I'm treating SW as a lifestyle choice this time, But i'm also prepared that the closer I get to target, the harder it will be to find reasons not to stay on track.

I have been hovering near target for nearly 2 months now, I just CANNOT seem to lose it. I do a food diary every day and stay around 10syns a day, my consultant is utterly confused and if i don't manage to lose 2lbs this week I'm going on fast forward for a week. I've tried everything to lose this last 6, 5, 4 then 6 then 4 then 5 lbs, success express, changing HEXs and even red and green days. :( My friends and family are saying maybe that means my body is happy, but i desperately want to be able to say I lost 5stone!

Once you get to target are you allowed to lower it? I'm 4lb off target but enjoy the challenge and think I may get complacent if I do get to my target!!

I have been hovering near target for nearly 2 months now, I just CANNOT seem to lose it. I do a food diary every day and stay around 10syns a day, my consultant is utterly confused and if i don't manage to lose 2lbs this week I'm going on fast forward for a week. I've tried everything to lose this last 6, 5, 4 then 6 then 4 then 5 lbs, success express, changing HEXs and even red and green days. :( My friends and family are saying maybe that means my body is happy, but i desperately want to be able to say I lost 5stone!

Hi Shrimpy
Has your c not suggested you lower your syns at all or have you considered/discussed this? x

Sarah26 said:
Once you get to target are you allowed to lower it? I'm 4lb off target but enjoy the challenge and think I may get complacent if I do get to my target!!

Yes Sarah you can change your target once you get to it. It feels so good thinking you can go one step further. Good luck!!! And well done for getting only 4lb away from target.

I would love to lose another stone and a half but I'm afraid I won't be able to get there. I know I can do another stone, but afraid I won't be able to get that last hlf stone. If you stick to plan should you be able to get to whatever weight you want to (as long as you stay over minimum bmi)?

Back