Whats the most hurtful thing anyone has said regarding your weight?

At my grandmother funeral, a family member walked in the room and shouted "Oh my god you've let yourself go, the last time I seen you you looked pretty" the entire room fell silent and looks at me. I just wanted to die myself. :( x

What happened to the old... If you haven't got anything nice to say don't say anything at all!!?? Xx
I agree, people can be so hurtful x

At my grandmother funeral, a family member walked in the room and shouted "Oh my god you've let yourself go, the last time I seen you you looked pretty" the entire room fell silent and looks at me. I just wanted to die myself. :( x

Oh mate thats terrible, well you have shown them! well done God I really can't believe that so many people have had moments like this!

I think it can be worse when it is someone you know or are close to and I havent had any that thank goodness. My most embarrassing moment though was getting on a bus and there was this elderly lady sitting at the front who it soon became obvious was not 100%. As soon as she saw me walking past to get a seat and for the entire duration of the 30 minute trip I had to put up with her saying " fat, fat, fatty, fat, fatty" on and on and on. You would stop every now and then only to start up again when she looked at me and again when I walked past to get off the bus :(

Then I have had the complete strangers who think its okay to moo at you, call you a fat cow while you are standing at the bus stop minding your own business, or people walking behind me down the street saying "wobble, wobble, wobble"!

Ignorant b****es sigh

Yes, I too have had many rude comments over the years. One of the most hurtful was when I was at work one of the men asked me if I was married. When I replied,'Yes', he retorted, 'That's just as well, because nobody would marry you now, you're too fat!'

I have found that when you are overweight complete strangers seem to think they can just say whatever they like to you! It's like they see you as 'sub-human' in some way.

Worst experience I have had was when the father of the French exchange family i went to stay with was trying to describe the fact that I was bigger than my sister to some other guests at the dinner table (i forget why). Not having any English to hand he raised his arms and puffed out his cheeks. Cheers.

You know why we get treated that way? Because we put up with it. If we were to turn around and smack those rude strangers in the face...well, they would be in too much shock to say anything futher, wouldn't they? Not that I'm advocating violence or anything hahaha
If my kids say anything even remotely rude to somebody they are made to apologise and are then grounded. Discipline. It's sadly lacking in the human race.

You know why we get treated that way? Because we put up with it. If we were to turn around and smack those rude strangers in the face...well, they would be in too much shock to say anything futher, wouldn't they? Not that I'm advocating violence or anything hahaha
If my kids say anything even remotely rude to somebody they are made to apologise and are then grounded. Discipline. It's sadly lacking in the human race.

This is so true. The point I realised I should lose weight was when a total stranger started screaming at me on a packed commuter train that I should be forced I pay for 1st class as my arse was too big for the seat. The fact that all I did was try not to cry instead of knocking the rude fecker out made me realise how much being overweight had dented my self confidence. The fact that the rest of the train carriage looked at me like I was the problem instead of telling him he was out of order was almost worse than him tbh.

I hope one day I see him on a train. I will knock him out quite happily & then sit on him for my whole journey with my newly bony arse making him uncomfortable.

Well the worst thing I think is when random strangers shout at me in the street, once I was waiting for a bus with my friend, these boys stopped the car opened windows and shouted abuse at me, I felt upset/angry and ashamed, also embarrassed in front of my friend. Also when I was getting petrol once I got asked why I am so fat.

Also working in a nursery, just before Christmas I got asked by a 4 year old, ''Why is your belly so round??' At first I laughed as it shocked me, then I thought how innocent it was, Then I just said its because I eat to many cakes lol.

I must say how much it knocks my confidence, like this morning when I pulled up at the shop, there was a group of about 4 lads in the shop, I actually waited for them to leave the area before I left my car, Just the fear they would say something.

cant say it was mean but last week i needed to move a patient using a pat slide and id got quite friendly with this family, her mum just put her arm around me and said please go and get another nurse hun i dont want you moving her in your condition, you should be resting not moving heavy patients.

ps im not pregnant

I'm not in slimming world but this thread helped me feel like "Phew! I'm not the only one!"

Like a lot of us here I get comments regularly enough from people but the ones that stick with me the most are ones that happen on nights out because often they ruin my night out after I've been looking forward to it for ages. Bouncers telling me I must just look young because I've got "fat cheeks"... Lads in bars and clubs mooing as I walk by or doing the "beep beeep... " noise for trunks or buses backing up... I had a lad grip me by the shoulder and sing into my ear "You're such a whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale"... Btw when I go to pubs or clubs I dress well and flattering. I don't wear anything to "stand out" so I'm NOT drawing them onto me...

Had someone give up a seat on the train...I tried saying no but he wouldnt have it - would have been a lovely gesture if I wasn't fat !!

I've had some people say 'woah you put on a lot of weight' and say how I have a good appetite. Nothing awful though but mind you I am quite mouthy and don't stand down so people generally don't say it. At least not to my face ;)

I had a kid sing bootylicious at me once. Was pretty funny thr laugh was on him not me!

I'm not in slimming world but this thread helped me feel like "Phew! I'm not the only one!"

Like a lot of us here I get comments regularly enough from people but the ones that stick with me the most are ones that happen on nights out because often they ruin my night out after I've been looking forward to it for ages. Bouncers telling me I must just look young because I've got "fat cheeks"... Lads in bars and clubs mooing as I walk by or doing the "beep beeep... " noise for trunks or buses backing up... I had a lad grip me by the shoulder and sing into my ear "You're such a whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale"... Btw when I go to pubs or clubs I dress well and flattering. I don't wear anything to "stand out" so I'm NOT drawing them onto me...

You need to practise a couple of things hun.

1) sing back 'you're such a priiiiiccccckkk to anyone who sings that whale thing at you again

2) whenever a group of lads start being nasty, look them all up & down with a look on your face that makes them fully aware that they are lower than excrement on your shoes, laugh to yourself, and walk away.

Remember, if you want to, you can change your size, they are stuck with their personalities.

And regardless of what you wear, there is no excuse:

Remember, if you want to, you can change your size, they are stuck with their personalities.

And regardless of what you wear, there is no excuse:

This is something i say to myself every now and then, and it's an excellent point to remember.

Over the years I had lots of hurtful things said to me. I don't know what hurt most, when absoloute strangers thought they could comment or people who I thought should love me whatever my size thought they could comment. It was a grandparent that used to be particularly annoying and now he comments positively on my size....but has told me since losing weight that I just need to get my teeth done now! Which I think says a lot about him rather than me or my teeth!
It also shows that some people will find something to comment on. Now I have lost the majority of the weight I want to the hurt from the comments has gone really and I can understand more that my family were probably worried about my health in fairness and could probably see the damage I was doing to myself and the limits I was putting on what I was able to do etc
Now that I have lost weight the ones that were genuinely concerned for me can be happy and the ones that were just being horrible can screw themselves lol and overall I am a lot happier. Though I didn't do it until I was ready and saw the advantages so they may as well have all kept their opinions to themselves anyway :rolleyes:

all your stories sound horrible!
i dont really get the nasty comments about my weight,but i notice a lot of the "you are eating arnt you" and dont lose anymore youll look stupid. when im dieting,and im far from skinny,the smallest ive ever got to is a 12 and the you're too skinny comments were ridiculous.but i knew i looked good,and could have lost a stone more,but the comments made me feel crap,and i ended up gaining the weight back,and then nothing is said,its like so called friends want me to be overweight.
my friend is an average size 14,and she got called a fat bi*ch in the street last week,the following day a guy decided me call me a slu*t while i was walking to the shop.
it didnt bother me because i know who i am,and i just thought what a freak lol
i think the worst is when family members feel like they can treat you like crap because they think they somehow are helping,my mum got treated badly when she was overweight by her sisters "youre fat,your going to die if you dont stop,etc" and when she lost 6st there wasnt no well done! shes now slimmer than them and they are soo jealous! i dont think it matters if you are skinny or fat,people will always try and bring you down to make themselves feel better! just remember how pathetic their lives must be xxx

It is utterly baffling to me how total strangers could be so, so awful. What on earth possesses someone to open their mouth and let such bilious crap some flowing out? These people must be very, very insecure (or mentally ill) indeed to even give a sh*t how other people live their lives.

My great auntie once managed to zing both me and my cousin at the same time by saying "Oh, Sally, I thought you'd lost weight when I saw you yesterday, but I can see now, in that dress you're wearing, that you're still as big as Sarah (my cousin)" My son was only 3 months old at the time, and you've got to wonder what she got out of saying something horrible.

Not the worst thing ever said to me, but the one that still hurts now, was when I was about 17 – I was big then, but not like I got eventually / am now. It was getting dark, as I stood at the bus stop alone a man of around 40-45 tall with browny grey hair approached me from afar and said ‘excuse me, I need directions’ . Being a polite young thing I said ‘ where to, I might be able to help’ and his response? ‘To the beach you big fat f***ing WHALE’ and he just walked off laughing to himself. My cheeks burnt with how upset I was, and there was nothing I could do but stand there for 20 more minutes waiting for this bus surrounded by the scene of the crime. His words rang in my ears, and I went home and comfort ate.

Many people have said worse to me, but nothing ever made me feel quite as bad as that. I know I’m still very fat and have a long way to go, but the confidence I’ve got from losing the weight so far with slimming world has made a differnece - I’d never let anyone say that about my now. I’d deck the prick. I don’t think everyone who is laughing in the street is laughing at me now, I don’t get comments from strangers often now – maybe because I’m slimmer, maybe because I’m more confident looking.

Two summers ago, I went away with my girl mates to Kos, Greece. I was around the same size as my starting weight now and was dreading it as it was. The swimming costumes, the serious heat meaning I couldnt get away with tights and long sleeved tops. all my friends were much smaller and got a lot of attention. I didnt want any attention and would dress as appropriately (and comfortably for myself as poss).
Whilst at a bar I was ordering a drink and over heard a guy talking to his mates about the girls at the bar. "what about her, the one with the undercut?" (me) "the fat one? Nah mate, I wouldnt touch her with a 10ft barge pole."
That same night I was in a horrible mood and had grabbed some chips on the way home, to comfort myself after this comment. My friends had pulled elsewhere so I was walking alone.
A group of guys tried to call me over to them and were clearly trying to wind up one of their mates by trying to set me up with him. I just kept walking and me ignoring them caused them to yell at me the whole way down the road "as if anyone would want you anyway you fat *****", "you probably shouldnt have bought those chips love" " Look I can see her legs rubbing together haha"

That haunts me and since then I will not go on a holiday abroad til Im smaller. I started slimming world when a friend (well used to be before this) and I were reacquainted at a festival this summer. He kept on about how much weight I had put on and I explained that I planned on doing something about it once I got back frmo the fest (genuinely was but there is no point before a festival!) and he turned round and said " well at the end of the day you shouldnt have eaten all the pies should you?" It wasnt banter it was pure evil. Since this Ive been on this and hope to prove him and others wrong this festival season

Back