What's the point of Waitrose?

I think Ocado delivery is free if you spend £75 (which is not difficult in Waitrose! :eek: ) or 2.99 upwards (depending on delivery slot) if you dont.

I have used both services - my local Waitrose Store can deliver me items, this is with 'Waitrose Deliver' and if your order is over £50 then, delivery is free. Waitrose Deliver is 100% John Lewis owned - and therefore the drivers are employed at the local store.

Ocado comes from a massive warehouse/stock building, not a store. They charge for delivery. They are also not affiliated with John Lewis, as they sold out in February - so they are just a delivery engine for Waitrose.

Thats the difference! Hope I have explained it clearer!!!

Oh! I thought they were the same lol. Thanks for explaining Elle!

I can't use the original Waitrose delivery as it's too far away..but I can.t really see a difference in the amount of products Ocado offers vs Waitrose...

I think Ocado delivery is free if you spend £75 (which is not difficult in Waitrose! :eek: ) or 2.99 upwards (depending on delivery slot) if you dont.

I pay £3.99 a month for deliveries no matter how many times I order. It's great!

Waitrose and Ocado are not the same thing. Ocado buys fron Waitrose, but also sells branded products sourced elsewhere. Waitrose deliver from your closest store for free. Or you can shop online and collect.

They have really good fresh ingredients, not just decadent ready meals. Their Cooks ingredints range is great, and Waitrose Essentials are good quality competitively price products. I can't wait for the one near me to be built.

Honeyoc! Do you know if the red Thai curry version of that paste is free? I just got some delivered today in my Ocado shop. Thanks x

EDIT: Okay I checked and they're all 1 syn per level tbsp, including the green one :)

Last edited:
Clareel said:
Honeyoc! Do you know if the red Thai curry version of that paste is free? I just got some delivered today in my Ocado shop. Thanks x

EDIT: Okay I checked and they're all 1 syn per level tbsp, including the green one :)

Now why would they be synned? Here are the ingredients for the green paste;

Ingredients
Garlic, Green Chilli, Onion, Salt, Lemon Grass, Rhizome (ginger family), Black Galangal (ginger family), Fennel Seed, Kaffir Lime Skin, Coriander, Galangal (ginger family), Pepper

Red paste

Ingredients
Garlic, Dry Red Chilli, Lemon Grass, Salt, Onion, Small Red Fresh Chilli, Galangal, Kaffir Lime Peel, Fennel Seed, Coriander.

SW is baffling sometimes lol

I LOVE Waitrose.....................why ???? Because I can buy some of their products here in Spain.

Yes they are more expensive but they are so good they are worth the extra.

I'm on the fan committee for Waitrose too! Absolutely love it, though end up spending a fortune whenever I go, and usually on things that are not so good for me!! But it's the most pleasant of the supermarkets to spend time in as well as having delicious foods ... sadly since migrating from South to North I very rarely get to go.

That said, a lot of the 'exotic' things mentioned by people are available in ethnic shops at a fraction of the price, just not necessarily in such pretty packaging - but I also enjoy rummaging for things in those shops too. On reflection perhaps I am just easily pleased if I'm shopping somewhere for interesting foodstuffs! : )

Last edited:
Now why would they be synned? Here are the ingredients for the green paste;

Ingredients
Garlic, Green Chilli, Onion, Salt, Lemon Grass, Rhizome (ginger family), Black Galangal (ginger family), Fennel Seed, Kaffir Lime Skin, Coriander, Galangal (ginger family), Pepper

Red paste

Ingredients
Garlic, Dry Red Chilli, Lemon Grass, Salt, Onion, Small Red Fresh Chilli, Galangal, Kaffir Lime Peel, Fennel Seed, Coriander.

SW is baffling sometimes lol

I know that's what I thought! There's no oil in there or anything :S

Ah well 1 syn per tbsp isn't bad I suppose. I'm gonna do a red prawn curry tonight :)

The Essentials range in Waitrose is usually very good value. I get their biscuits for the teas I do for a club I belong to, and they are much nicer than the equivalent branded versions.

Also, I get their shower gel, hand wash and washing up liquid - not expensive, and they last forever. The cucumber and lime washing up liquid is fantastic. My friend gets at me for buying "posh" hand wash in Waitrose, but in fact it is cheaper than the one she buys in Tesco, and lasts twice as long!

Edit: that should be cucumber and basil, not lime!

Last edited:
Non-food related, I am a fan of Waitrose essentials Dark Wash liquid. I used to buy Dreft dark but I could not longer find it anywhere.

According to the new mag they have syn free edible flowers!

There are lots of flowers which are edible. And, of course, quite a few which aren't (no foxgloves, please!!)

I used to grow nasturtiums when I had a garden - cream cheese and nasturtium petal sandwiches are lovely.

And of course you can eat rose petals.

i seem to remember from one of my earliest excursions with SW that edible flowers was listed as a free food - to the great amusement of the group - but we all felt there was something slightly obscene and cannibalistic about it! Suppose nasturtiums in salad come to mind, but I think you can make ice cream with lavender, and use marigold petals in something - oh and there's deep fried courgette flowers of course! Just the job for a SW groupie.....

Oh I know that some flowers are edible..:)

I was just confused that they now start selling them in supermarkets...i used to pick them myself:)

Back