Whats the rush

*Theresa*

Hi folks. I only joined this forum yesterday and have done more reading than anything so far but one thing I have noticed time and time again and felt needed commenting on. Alot of people put sad smillies next to only having lost 1lb or so that week and I don't get it. I celebrate every pound that comes off and although have only been on plan since January the 5th have settled myself in for the long haul and have accepted it will take a long time to lose the weight I have to lose.

If you feel sad when you lose 'only' a pound then you are doing yourself an injustice and I want to beseech you to celebrate every 1lb or 0.5lb off as it all adds up :worthy::worthy:

I think its because some weeks you try really hard and feel you have done better than a previous week, yet find yourself losing less than that previous week. If you are used to losing 2lbs a week, 1lb can seem like a small amount. But of course you are quite right, a lb is a lb, and should be celebrated!

Indeed a pound is a pound. It does all add up, but when you exercise your butt off and eat nothing naughty in a week a pound seems like an awful lot of effort.

Indeed a pound is a pound. It does all add up, but when you exercise your butt off and eat nothing naughty in a week a pound seems like an awful lot of effort.

Ah but my way of looking at that is that it is not just a pound...it is a pound off whereas if you hadn't excercised and ate junk than you probably would have put a 1lb or 2 on so really you are about 3lbs lighter ;)

Good point! I had a mega bad day yesterday and really really needed/craved chocolate... I havent eaten it in months yet I was craving really badly. Still, I survived without and cuddled up to the fiance instead. :)

I've been losing 1lb per week or two quite steadily now. I'm enjoying going slowly. Means less loose skin and it'll be easier to keep off!

What a fab message to everyone - Theresa! You are so right - every lb counts. And I'm loving Tracey's method of thinking of each lb as two packs of butter. I did that with my first stone, I made a mini display in sainsburys and took a photo of my 28 packs of butter!

I think if you actually look at something of that 'weight' e.g. a lb of spuds, or cheese or 2 blocks of butter it makes you realise what an achievement it is :)

Shelz, shelz, shelz. That 1lb of human fat is 3,500 calories! By "only" losing 1lb, you've burned through 3,500 calories more than your body required.

You just shed 13 Mars Bars' worth of calories in a week if you've lost 1lb.

Has anyone here actually tried picking up something which weighs 1lb? It's not light! About a litre of water weighs 1lb. Pick up a 1lb weight at the gym and try telling me it's "only" a pound ;)

Pfft :p

I know what you mean and I do celebrate every pound I lose.

The problem is that if you don't eat anything for the whole week having shakes instead. You stick to your diet religously and lose only 1lb that's when you might get a lil disheartened.

1lb admitedly is a lot on any of the traditional/ healthy lifestyle diets.
It's not a lot if you are doing VLCD where average expectation would be around 4lbs a week....

4lbs a week is insane.

The problem with 1lb is purely a psychological one. Frankly the number 1 isn't terribly impressive :D

Count in ounces instead. "Oh wow! I lost SIXTEEN ounces this week!"

Trust me, it works :D

By the same logic i measure in centremeters cos they are smaller than inches !!

It's funny what a number means...afterall it is only a number....When we're young we want to be older and when we're older we want to be younger! If we lost 4lbs in a week, we would be, wish it was 5lbs! Yet every 1lb counts as it gets us closer to our target weight. Better to loose a 1lb than put it on.

Good luck to everyone out there and all the 1lbs we ARE going to lose.
xx

Thanks for this post - i will admit i am a whinger!! I lost 1lb for 3 consecutive weeks (and lost another .5 on one of those weeks) and i do huff after really trying!

This really has put things into perspective! I just googled 1lb of fat and printed it so i can apprechiate what i've lost every week :)

Its a shame its so much easier to put on than it is to lose isnt it!! lol

xx

Back