WHAT'S YOUR COUNSELLOR LIKE?

Ok fair play, there are good CDCs and some not so good.
But what happens when someone who genuinely wants to lose weight is not getting the support she or he deserves from her or his CDC.
It would be awful for a dieter to give up on the diet simply because her or his CDC is not up to scratch and may not inspire.
It's a basic concern of mine, and probably anyone who has a caring attitude to those of a similar high weight, that anyone on a vlcd should get the utmost support and service possible because those who start a vlcd are in a desperate mood to lose their excess weight and it may be the last chance they have for perhaps several months to lose.
Pam xx

Ivy Wrote

Its horrible when someone is brill at what they do and then they leave. Whats your new counsellor like. Or are you at target? Its probably on your ticker and I just havent looked. lol

Hiya!

Linda is my counsellor til i am all trained up as a CDC :)

Obviously shes absolutely marvellous.

Above and beyond.

Ivy

My husband and I (his name isn't Phillip lol) have been on the CD diet for 5 days now.

Hi Cheriton

You should stick your name down on the October Bulgebusters post cause I didnt see you there and its for people starting in October.

Ok fair play, there are good CDCs and some not so good.
But what happens when someone who genuinely wants to lose weight is not getting the support she or he deserves from her or his CDC.
It would be awful for a dieter to give up on the diet simply because her or his CDC is not up to scratch and may not inspire.
It's a basic concern of mine, and probably anyone who has a caring attitude to those of a similar high weight, that anyone on a vlcd should get the utmost support and service possible because those who start a vlcd are in a desperate mood to lose their excess weight and it may be the last chance they have for perhaps several months to lose.
Pam xx

Hi Lady in London

It is a valid concern and one I have myself regarding my own but I also went to one of the pharmacists (the one thats closest to me but its still 20 miles away) and I was so embarassed because they weighed me in a room that had a full length glass window and everyone was looking through the window at the fat ass on the scales. Needless to say I didnt go on Lipotrim because of this. So this is a personal reason why I didnt choose what VLCD you are on but I fully expect that not every Pharmacy will have a goldfish bowl that they weigh people in. If I had of had another Pharmacy close that did it I would of quite happily went to it and not let the first experience change my mind.

Im not having a pop at you at all. Your concerns are real and valid. All Im saying is that those who make cambridge can only train people to be the best counsellors they can and then after then its up to the individuals to do their job. Short of sticking CCTV on every counsellor and monitoring their performance through mystery shoppers, the company cant really do much about it until they are aware that there is a problem. No CDC is going to ring the company and say "by the way I am a crap CDC". I think most do an excellent Job and so Im not going to let the minority who dont, taint my judgement because its a very very very small minority.

I too am concerned about people being put off and therefore not losing the weight that they so desperately want to lose. But Im also concerned about nurses who dont do their Job right and cause death because of it, chefs that dont do their job right and cause food poisoning....The list could be endless! I think that if someone is desperate enough and have reached that point were they are committed to weight loss then they will look elsewhere for a motivational CDC. Complain to the company about their existing one and eventually then the company can weed out those who arent doing their Job right.

Sorry I have posted are really long post. I am just really passionate about injustice too and I really had to have a talk to myself about it last year because I was making myself sick worrying about things I had no control over. Much of what I have said in this post is what I eventually came up with when I processed some of the feelings I was having.

Maybe CDC's should have to give out questionaires to their customers to fill in and post to head office periodically. Just this would tell head office not only where there were problems but what the clients need and expect from the counsellors. It would also make the less good CDC's make more of an effort as they would realise they were monitored. With the resurgence in popularity in the VLCD it would certainly be in the interest of the company to have a little more control, in my opinion.

Hi All

This is an interesting thread. I started off on CD with a horrible CDC. She had been doing it for 20 years, ate in front of me when I went and constantly talked about how she cheated (but that a few cheats didnt matter). I only saw her twice. However had I not found DH I would not have known that CDC's should have done anything but sell you the packs.

I then changed CDC's twice and I have to say that it was the best thing I did. My current CDC is on here - she is a wealth of knowledge and is always happy to chat. I know that if I ever need to I can pick the phone up for a chat.

My previous CDC was brilliant as well - and although I lived a long way from him he was always at the end of a phone or email and even now is always happy to help.

The difference between my last two CDC's and the first one I tried is that they believe in Cambridge. They have been there, done that and got the t-shirt and I never get the impression this is just a money making exercise. They want to help me lose weight and are genuinely interested in me. That to me is the difference.

Anyway....they both know who they are so thankyou.

Victoria

That's a good idea Dizzy. And Clare, that was bad being weighed in the window. Luckily in my pharmacy he takes me away from the public area to a separate area of the shop. As you say, there are good and bad everywhere.
Pam xx

I'm not too sure about my CDC. I have only met her once so far and although she was friendly she seemed distracted and disinterested. She weighed me and said I didn't have to go every week if I was happy to keep a check on myself. She was larger than me (so very overweight) and although I appreciate life, young kids etc mean you gain weight I didn't feel inspired that CD was the solution. I just found myself thinking you obviously don't have faith in your product. I got told I would have to pay £10 for any missed meeting without 24 hours notice (understandable I suppose). Her next client arrived five minutes after me and CDC sighed and said 'She's always early, well she will just have to wait!' as if the woman had done something awful. I came off LL earlier this year after illness (not caused by the diet) and all I kept getting was how they charge so much more and you don't get anything extra for your money. I felt this was quite unprofessional and actually incorrect. I came away thinking it was very obvious what you pay double for at LL, most of all the interest and support of your counsellor.
Having said all that (phew!)I will return on Weds and see if it is any better but if not will be finding a different CDC. Sorry to moan but didn't know what to expect and have to be honest was quite disappointed. I am 100% committed to losing this weight forever and will try to find a fab CDC like those that post on here!

Don't forget that if you feel that your CDC is not the best for you then look for another. There'll be one out there who is just right for you.
Irene xx

I'm not too thrilled with my CDC, she is definitely of the "old school" and is not playing by the rules of Cambridge - however I am in a catch 22 situation as there is no other counsellor near me and I would be worried about her finding out if I reported her to HO. Once I get to the end of the diet I will be ringing up and discussing this with them. After my initial disappointment I decided that I was taking the sole responsibility for this diet - I would read up on it and know everything I needed to, It could only be my fault if I were to fail - and now I can be proud that I have got this far on my own. Except I'm not on my own - I would have struggled and floundered if I hadn't found this and other forums. My CDC didn't mention them to me though I found them on Google.

I think the earlier post about questionnaires is a fab solution or maybe Cambridge should send in some "mystery shoppers". How much of an eye do Cambridge keep on their counsellors? Are they required to submit our information to the head office?

The other thing that has occurred to me is that it would be a great opportunity for me to set up as a CDC (however not sponsored by my CDC). I love posts like this and I guess other current and prospective CDCs do too. If a CDC reads a post and thinks a negative post is about them, they should take it as a warning sign and shape up (& be glad they've not been officially reported!) Unfortunately I suspect it is only the good CDCs who log on to this.

My thanks to all the folk out there, CDCs and ordinary folk theat are so keen to come to the aid of the rest of us on this forum.

There's no doubt about it, you are going to get fluctuations in service in any business. Added to that weight loss is a very personal affair and so someone who is perfect for one dieter might be the counsellor from hell for the next! :rolleyes:

One thing you can do to limit your risks is to find a company that has the highest standards for their employees/representitives to start with.

What I wonder is just how much training a CD 'counsellor' actually has to do in counselling to deserve the title of Cambridge Diet Counsellor. :confused:

The title itself sounds very professional and qualified but my understanding is that this isn't actually the case as CD don't require their 'counsellors' to have any qualifications in counselling. Surely this should be a matter for trading standards or can anyone give themself the title of 'counsellor' rather than 'Sales Rep'? :eek: :(

What I wonder is just how much training a CD 'counsellor' actually has to do in counselling to deserve the title of Cambridge Diet Counsellor. :confused:

The title itself sounds very professional and qualified but my understanding is that this isn't actually the case as CD don't require their 'counsellors' to have any qualifications in counselling. Surely this should be a matter for trading standards or can anyone give themself the title of 'counsellor' rather than 'Sales Rep'? :eek: :(

I totally agree with what you are saying...my CDC is more of a distributor than a counsellor and I think a lot of ppl have come across this. I did get the impression from her that she took over the selling of CD from someone else years ago and has just kept doing it, although she has never mentioned training etc. It could be that the newer CDCs are actually trained to some degree, but the ones that have been around longer and that are in more remote areas dont actually do any refresher training etc. My CDC didnt even know wat mix a mousse is, what tetras are and if she had even been refreshed recently she would know. Problem is, as far as I know she is now the only one here!!

My CDC is alway very busy and she mentioned this week that she has got lots of new customers just recently. She is lovley lady who comes to see me each week and brings my foodpacks....we have a bit of a gossip and then she goes. She is quite old but she told me she has been doing the CDC for 19yrs.....WOW.

All in all shes great!

I totally agree with what you are saying...my CDC is more of a distributor than a counsellor and I think a lot of ppl have come across this. I did get the impression from her that she took over the selling of CD from someone else years ago and has just kept doing it, although she has never mentioned training etc. It could be that the newer CDCs are actually trained to some degree, but the ones that have been around longer and that are in more remote areas dont actually do any refresher training etc. My CDC didnt even know wat mix a mousse is, what tetras are and if she had even been refreshed recently she would know. Problem is, as far as I know she is now the only one here!!

My suggestion is that is if your looking for councelling to support you maybe try Lighter life as they give you councelling each week. Unfort the LL diet is very expensive in comparison to the CD. Also there are more tasty foodpacks on CD infact stay on the CD. LOL

Hi Mizzy....I am not looking for counselling support, I know my issues, I've dealt with stuff before and I'm sure I can do it again (besides anything I cant afford LL anyway!!) But CDCs are marketed as proper counsellors, and a lot of them are not. Dont get me wrong, my CDC is a lovely lady, but someone who was genuinely thinking they would get and NEEDING the kind of support that a 'counsellor' would give wont necessarily get it from her. To top it off I think she has only ever been 1 stone over her weight now, so she is not really in a position to understand how people with a lot of weight to lose feel. Anyway, who needs a counselling CDC when we have this fab site lol

Poor Man

My CDC is Mike and he is superb. I go with a friend and the poor man has to sit through half hour of our constipation problems amongst other things!
I've lost just under 4 stone in 12 weeks and my friend 3 stone. We couldn't have done it without him. It's a bonus that he's done it himself so most problems your suffering he's had (apart from womanly things) and can normally give you a solution. I came off the diet for four days last week as I went to Dublin but I remembered everything he said and fingers crossed tonight I hope I haven't done too much damage.
anyway a big thanks to Mike he's a hero:)

Doh! I must be thick!:eek: lol :D

I thought the word "counsellor" in CDC just was another word for "agent" or "representative"... I didn't think nor anticipate that they would actually be a qualified counsellor of any sort - just trained to help people stick to the diet and deal with the physiological changes and give a bit of support on the way... :confused:

Back