what's your story ? share it all here

Here's my story in a (low calorie) nutshell

As a teenager I thought I was fat, but old pics say different!
Then I did get fat.
Then I got thin.
Then I got fatter, and the previous fat actually wasn't that fat after all.
Then I got a bit thinner.
Then I got much fatter, and the previous fatter actually wasnt as bad as I thought it was at the time.
Then I got quite a bit thinner.
Then I got much MUCH fatter and wished I was just the old much fatter.
Then I got thinner again.
Then I hit over 18 and half stone and gave up, because being much MUCH fatter was actually thinner than being over 18 and half stone.
Then a miracle happened and im now thinner than the thin teenager I was to start with.

Is there a moral to this story? well, there could be 2 actually.
1. Dont go on a diet to start with because diets ultimatley make you fat
2. Never give up trying, because oneday you might find a miracle has happened :)

Lynn_ said:
Here's my story in a (low calorie) nutshell

As a teenager I thought I was fat, but old pics say different!
Then I did get fat.
Then I got thin.
Then I got fatter, and the previous fat actually wasn't that fat after all.
Then I got a bit thinner.
Then I got much fatter, and the previous fatter actually wasnt as bad as I thought it was at the time.
Then I got quite a bit thinner.
Then I got much MUCH fatter and wished I was just the old much fatter.
Then I got thinner again.
Then I hit over 18 and half stone and gave up, because being much MUCH fatter was actually thinner than being over 18 and half stone.
Then a miracle happened and im now thinner than the thin teenager I was to start with.

Is there a moral to this story? well, there could be 2 actually.
1. Dont go on a diet to start with because diets ultimatley make you fat
2. Never give up trying, because oneday you might find a miracle has happened :)

Wow!! I could have written that myself. That's exactly how it's happened for me! I used to think I was huge as a teenager cos I was a size 14 when all my friends were size 8-10. BUT I was then nearly 6 foot so obviously looked slim. How I wish yeas that fat again. Lol
The only part of ur story that hasn't happened for me (yet) is the last bit of being a healthy weight. But it will happen.

Kelley x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Wow!! I could have written that myself. That's exactly how it's happened for me! I used to think I was huge as a teenager cos I was a size 14 when all my friends were size 8-10. BUT I was then nearly 6 foot so obviously looked slim. How I wish yeas that fat again. Lol
The only part of ur story that hasn't happened for me (yet) is the last bit of being a healthy weight. But it will happen.

Kelley x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Sounds a bit like my life too, add into it a mother obsessed with dieting and diet clubs and putting that obsession onto me to make me thoroughly miserable with no self confidence , she wouold take me when I was in junior school B**ch!- at 11 I was 10st 10lbs and at 5ft 6 I was normal weight.. the school medical people had no problem with that YET I was still dragged to slimming clubs to always be told I HAD to lose weight while at the same time fed golden syrup stotty cakes then told I am fat --- I could go on and on .... I'm 40 now and fatter than ever, I did lose weight before I had my baby and gained it and more, but I swear this time will be the last time, and my daughter wont be brought up as I was, that much I know for sure xx

I was always a 'chubby' child....think Mum fed us up (got a twin sister) from 6 months old, when we arrived after being adopted, as we were premature with very low birth weights.

Then the freedom of sixth form canteen.....crisps and chocolate every day.

Followed by Uni (lots of alcohol) and shift work (a good excuse to eat badly and do no exercise)......then settling down and getting married.

Eating through boredom on days off.....and still not doing enough exercise.

Whats changed?? I got fed up with how I look, and have a bad back which I'm sure isn't helped by my size.

I am now ready to get this sorted out!

a mother obsessed with dieting and diet clubs and putting that obsession onto me to make me thoroughly miserable with no self confidence , she wouold take me when I was in junior school B**ch!
My god, are we sisters?!

My mum STILL doesn't get it. I saw a photo of myself aged about 13 the other day. In it I am a perfectly normal size, but wearing a huge baggy t-shirt and floor length skirt to cover up the imaginary fat. I pointed this out to my mother. "Oh, you were just bulky. You know, large, you always were!"

Even with the photographic evidence of my complete normality in front of her, she still saw me as fat fat fat. And low and behold, now I am.

Mothers. Who'd have 'em? :D

Sadly I think the diet obsessed mothers are something many of us had to put up with growing up :(

I was bullied at school for being overweight and put on a diet by my Dr... I always went 8st7lbs-9st....The heavier end of my weight scale but still healthy..

All the yo yo dieting I've done I ended up 14st 6lbs...Not a good look when your 5ft tall..

I was having meal replacement 'Limits' bars when I was in Junior school - maybe 8 or 9 years old. Thing is my mam was a nurse so had no excuse, it wasnt through ignorance .. as I said I could go an on on the topic, I don't have anything to do with any family members at all now, I disowned the lot of them, I feel in some ways I've spared my daughter some of what I had because they never changed.
i've got so many issues through them and a good part of it was to do with my weight.

I also remember my dad shouting at my mam that it was her fault that I am like I am .. let's see at the time I was a young teenager under 11 stone at 5ft 6'' normal BMI - i wrote in my diary how I wanted to kill myself because I was so fat.. I just never look back with any happiness, I can tell you what I weighed at certain events in my life more than what happened at the event!
It's more shocking now looking back than it was a few years ago because I'm now the parent, I don't know how any parent can undermine their childs confidence and not care.

My daughter is built like I was, she's tall for her age but she's thinner than she is tall % wise on the graphs. I hope for her sake she can stay like that cos I don't want her coming on here in 16 yrs writing 'her story' .. the cycle has to stop.

/rant

I hear you Rowan...

One of my cousins got in touch via FB over the weekend and asked how certain family member's were... I had to tell her I didn't know because I have nothing to do with them...

I used to make myself see them..They'er family, family always comes first...You know the sort of thing..
But a few years ago I just thought "NO" I'm not doing this anymore.. Told people if they didn't like it was their problem...

Haven't looked back since :D

Well I starred this thread a while ago. Am I'm happy to say I am no longer doing any bad habbits and loosing weight the right way

Thought i would add to the thread, get it off my chest.

When i was 11 years old, i was 13 stone and in size 16 clothes. I dont know how i got like that, i dont recall over eating, so i can only suppose my parents were feeding me the wrong stuff. I went through high-school at that weight, never really occured to me that i was over weight till bullies began to make comments. However i ignored this as best as i could.

Then when i started my a-levels another bully made a comment and drew a picture on a school wall and that sent me on a bit of a downward spiral. Started off with good intentions of losing weight on the slimming world plan, but got nowhere fast, so i started not eating and began to lose weight but then it stopped dropping off. All i can remember is being so depressed, cold and so hungry. One day my mum turned to me and said 'i dont want to lose you down the drain' and something in me snapped.

Since then ive been eating normally, admitedly put on a little weight which i would like to get rid of. But i want to do it healthily this time around. I want it to be a whole lifestyle change and im hoping that i can get some support on here to keep it that way.

THis is the first time ive really said why Im fat to anyone..

I used to be a slim size 12/14 and then met my ex, he was a control freak and I ended up in an abusive relationship. So for 5 years I was called mrs blooby and lardy, even tho I wasn't, so to compensate that i was being told I was fat I became fat, started wearing baggy clothes and eating as I was soooooooo unhappy. I went from size 14 to a size 20 in 4 years. even after I left it still piled on and 16 stone I was fat, depressed and so far away from myself I had no idea how to get back,

Its taken 2 years of counselling to get everything out of my head. I woke up one morning 2 1/2 years ago and thought "who are you" when I looked in the mirror. So i had a year of personal training and lost 1 1/2 stone, put 1/2 back on and as from Jan 2012 am determined to loose 3 stone this year :)

Its the most positive thing I have ever done and now really love who I am becoming but the outside doesn't reflect the inner me so that's part of my reason of loosing weight. The other is that don't want to be fat and still wearing unflattering size 16 in my 40's or at my 40th BD party :) :) :)

That wasn't as hard as I thought :)

xxxx

I used to be very slim size 10-12 and at 5'7" that was a nice size. Until my thyroid went and got underactive. Since then I've been fat, thin, slim , puffy, you name it. But mostly I've been big. I have lost weight a few times, but always put it back on. I've also got pcos, but it only causes problems with my weight and periods, lucky for me I don't get problem with excessive hair. But I often feel spaced out, I think only someone with these conditions will know what i mean by that, like my heads foggy or full of cotton wool.
So this time I want to loose weight bit get fit aswell, it's the only way to keep weight off. When I do loose weight and exercise I feel like s different person, so I honestly do not know how I let myself get big and unfit again knowing I'll feel so lethargic.
This time I'm going to have to be more selfish and do things for me, rather than drop everything or miss exercise classes to fit around everyone else.

Tali said:
THis is the first time ive really said why Im fat to anyone..

I used to be a slim size 12/14 and then met my ex, he was a control freak and I ended up in an abusive relationship. So for 5 years I was called mrs blooby and lardy, even tho I wasn't, so to compensate that i was being told I was fat I became fat, started wearing baggy clothes and eating as I was soooooooo unhappy. I went from size 14 to a size 20 in 4 years. even after I left it still piled on and 16 stone I was fat, depressed and so far away from myself I had no idea how to get back,

Its taken 2 years of counselling to get everything out of my head. I woke up one morning 2 1/2 years ago and thought "who are you" when I looked in the mirror. So i had a year of personal training and lost 1 1/2 stone, put 1/2 back on and as from Jan 2012 am determined to loose 3 stone this year :)

Its the most positive thing I have ever done and now really love who I am becoming but the outside doesn't reflect the inner me so that's part of my reason of loosing weight. The other is that don't want to be fat and still wearing unflattering size 16 in my 40's or at my 40th BD party :) :) :)

That wasn't as hard as I thought :)

xxxx

This is such a good story, I love where you wake up one day and think ' who am I?'
And how you turned your life around. Well done :)

My mum used to always ask me if there was some traumatic event in my life that's caused me to overeat. I've been hugely overweight/obese for nearly 20 years now and you know what... I think I just love food! :( There's nothing else I can really think of except I LOVE the taste of food, and also just out of habit I'll graze all day, putting food in my mouth without even realising it. That's why TFR diets work better for me I think, otherwise I'll start eating and not stop!

There's so many things I can relate to in this thread. I think it's a clear demonstration that 'fat' people aren't lazy (much as the world at large tries to tell us we are)- a lot of us have issues and problems we have sadly chosen to solve with food.

I first got 'fat' when I was about 7 years old. For some reason, my body shape is strange and I carry 90% of my weight on my stomach. My Mum says that the change was so sudden, she took me to the Doctors because she thought I might have a tumour. Looking back, it seems to have coincided with a lot of bad stuff. My Mum went into hospital, my Dad- in the navy at the time- went on a long deployment and other things like that. I got badly bullied at Primary school- asked if I was pregnant etc.- and it continued through Secondary school.

This was coupled with the fact that I was a fussy eater as a child. Barely anything healthy would pass my lips (this was started, I suspect by moving from Hong Kong, where I was born, back to the UK when I was 2. Before that I would apparently eat anything). My Mum is, alas, a feeder. Nothing gives her pleasure more than feeding her family and watching them enjoy it. So rather than encourage me to eat healthly, she'd feed me all the 'bad foods' I would eat. On top of this, my Dad has major food issues. Denied as a child, he gorges on chocolate, sweets, cake and other bad things. My family was never particularly active either so I never really learned to enjoy being active, but rather to regard it as a chore. School P.E classes were also a hell-on-earth for me. I was the worst and would do everything in my power to avoid truly exercising.

So I was eating badly, loathed exercise and the situation was compounded by my family. Then there was the emotional side- I am also extremely tall, I have PCOS (thus hairy) and I always felt at school like I was standing out for some reason to do with my appearance whether or not it was my weight, height or my body hair. So what did I do? I ate. I would sneak chocolate into my room, I would gorge when I was alone, and I did the same when I was at University.

Finally, in my second year I decided enough was enough. I lost almost 40lbs over 18 months- this then coincided with my graduating Uni, being treated very badly by a guy I was involved with and working in a supermarket. Terrible for your waistline, that. 30lbs back on. Alas.

So that's my story. Bad habits from childhood and low self-esteem. And even now, when I'm sad I still feel like I should eat something. There are lots of triggers. It seems like lots of us are in a similar boat however, so it's good to know that I'm not alone. :)

I've really enjoyed reading this thread... I'm not sure whether I can tell my story yet as I'm still trying to work out what went wrong... but when I get there I'll come back and share. Big hugs to all of you who've been so brave to share your innermost truths x

Back