Wheat free HEb choices

MrsCC

Afternoon all!

I have been reecntly been directed to follow a wheat free diet by my doctor which, as you can imagine, has taken a bit of getting used to!

After 4 weeks of getting to grips with it and integrating it into slimming world, I am finding that I am struggling with my HEb choices and feel as though I am not getting enough fibre.

Does anyone have any suggestions of any wheat free HEb's that would boost my fibre intake or indeed any free or low syn high fibre foods?

TIA
C x x

The one that comes to mind that I love using is ScanBran (loads of recipes and ideas on the forum). If you don't go to classes, you can get them from Holland and Barratt.

They are 1 syn each, although they used to be 1/2 syn for exactly the same contents?! Strange.

Thanks Amanda, are Scan Bran wheat free?

Just had a look online and the Oat Bran may be ok! I'll have a look at group tonight :D

We tend to get into a rut of thinking HEBs are breads and cereals but there are so many other things you can have as well. There are gluten free options if you want those but what about canned soups, stewed/dried/canned fruits, and olive oil. If you do green days then you can also have cheese, nuts and seeds as a HEB or even meat or fish if you fancy some. Instead of focussing on what you can't have you need to get excited about what you can! So get browsing on those Healthy Extra lists!

We tend to get into a rut of thinking HEBs are breads and cereals but there are so many other things you can have as well. There are gluten free options if you want those but what about canned soups, stewed/dried/canned fruits, and olive oil. If you do green days then you can also have cheese, nuts and seeds as a HEB or even meat or fish if you fancy some. Instead of focussing on what you can't have you need to get excited about what you can! So get browsing on those Healthy Extra lists!

Do you know what, you are so right Circes, I think I need to refresh my way of thinking and see what else I can add into the mix! Thank you x :)

i have just been told today that i need to cut out wheat out of my diet, and i felt like crying, just having a look about just now. Even with the substitutes, like wheat free pasta, which i have just bought, everything is so expensive :(. xx

I agree with Circes, dried fruits are a great source if fibre. Nuts too! Also increasing your fruit & veg intake would be a good idea. Can you eat rye? If so you can have ryvitas instead of bread.

i'm not a fan of either dried fruit or nuts :(. I eat a lot of fruit already, need to start eating more veg though.

I dont see why wouldn't be able to eat rye though. xx

Hi, might be nice to revive this thread, as I am wheat free too ;-) I just substitute wheat free products and so far it seems to be working and find that certain fruits provide me with the fibre I need. Hope you are all getting on ok too!
Tracy

I'm wheat free as well & it's hard. After much research I have found one wheat free cereal substitute (HexB). A lot of the recipes use wheat & there just aren't wheat free versions available. I love SW & it definitely suits me the best of any diet I've tried. I personally find that my food revolves around potatoes, fresh meat/poultry/fish & veg/salad/fruit. Members of my group post recipes on our FB page all the time but unfortunately they usually use scanbran or sauces etc that aren't wheat free. Maybe when I've been on SW a lot longer I will be able to find more suitable recipes...I wish there was a cookbook available for intolerances.

I know this an old thread but there are gluten free bread, cereals and crispbreads on the HEB list so check the full list online as it much larger than the one in the book. Also what about dried, stewed or canned fruits, or.the canned soups on the list may be suitable

PatchworkPuss said:
I know this an old thread but there are gluten free bread, cereals and crispbreads on the HEB list so check the full list online as it much larger than the one in the book. Also what about dried, stewed or canned fruits, or.the canned soups on the list may be suitable

Yea I've got the list. There is one box of cereal I can get in the shops. The only bread I can find is the one slice ones so can't really do much with that & I'm not using 6 syns just to get another slice plus fillings. I already eat so much fresh fruit & veg & due to my ibs I need to limit this. For me there aren't many wheat free options but I'm doing ok with plain, homecooked foods. I just wish I had some recipes to spice or up a bit or that I could find more bread in the shops. I did have crackers & ciabatta last month but they are no longer available :(

Thanks for the help xo

Back