when calculating syns, use raw or cooked values?

Hello, I'm just starting back on slimming world. Waiting to have my breakfast today but looking at having a fry up. I have these sausages, riverway foods cumberland sausages. I entered the info on the syns calculator. 2 raw sausages came out at 9.5 syns and 2 grilled sausages came out a free. Can anyone advise which value I use please?

skinnyminime2b said:
Hello, I'm just starting back on slimming world. Waiting to have my breakfast today but looking at having a fry up. I have these sausages, riverway foods cumberland sausages. I entered the info on the syns calculator. 2 raw sausages came out at 9.5 syns and 2 grilled sausages came out a free. Can anyone advise which value I use please?

Not quite sure how you managed to get such different syn values! Did you remember to include pork as a free food on the first one?

skinnyminime2b said:
yes on both

Still don't understand how the values are so different tho? As the nv for a grilled sausage would be the same as the nv for a raw one! The only difference would be the weights!

On cooking, the protein value is higher and the fat and carbs lower so perhaps that's why? but just not sure which value to use.

100g raw (serving size 114g= 2 raw)
255cal
13 protein
4.5 carbs
20.2 fat

97g grilled (2 cooked sausages)
227cal
17 protein
3.8 carbs
15.7 fat

skinnyminime2b said:
On cooking, the protein value is higher and the fat and carbs lower so perhaps that's why? but just not sure which value to use.

skinnyminime2b said:
100g raw (serving size 114g= 2 raw)
255cal
13 protein
4.5 carbs
20.2 fat

97g grilled (2 cooked sausages)
227cal
17 protein
3.8 carbs
15.7 fat

If you look at the figures youve posted, the raw nv's are for 100g of raw sausage! And it clearly states that 1 serving is 114g!! So I'd go with the cooked value-but remember its for 2 sausages

i put the values in ticking the 100g box as thats the values on the pack but then it says serving size at the bottom and i put in 114g so it gives the values for serving size. Never had to put values in before for anything like this as what i buy is usually in the syn search.

I think you must have made a mistake with the grilled syn value, Ive just entered it using pork as a free food and it comes out as 6 syns for 2 sausages. Definitely not free (although Im not sure why its giving a different syn value cooked to raw) :confused:

lol I just got 6 syns too, havent a clue what i did there, but the different syn value will be cos the cooked takes into account the fat lost when grilling i believe. But 6 syns is okay for 2, I couldn't believe they would be free!

ermintrude said:
I think you must have made a mistake with the grilled syn value, Ive just entered it using pork as a free food and it comes out as 6 syns for 2 sausages. Definitely not free (although Im not sure why its giving a different syn value cooked to raw) :confused:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the difference was odd! But the op was adamant that was the case! I based my advice on the info given

There's still a difference in the grilled (6syns) and uncooked values (9.5syns). That's why I was confused as to which number to use.

I'm going to use the uncooked syn value as having a look at syns online the values says chilled, frozen etc not often baked or grilled next to them. It makes more sense to me that they would do the values on uncooked as you never know how someone is going to cook something.

Richmond thick sausages are 5syns but on the calculator as grilled they come out at 4.5 syns.

Yeah I think the producer must have done some trick where they dont account for fats etc lost during cooking or something as the raw vs grilled numbers dont add up even if you account for the sausage size after cooking. :confused: Id go with the higher value ie raw just to be safe. :)

Back