When do you start to build muscle?

cyberjelly

Well I've lost 3 1/2 stone since Jan, and seem to have grown to a bit of a halt.

Exercise wise I do quite a bit,

Mon, wed & fri:- 1 hour a gym (20 min eliptical trainer on fat or glute burn) 20 min run/walk on treadmill( 1 min walk, 2 min run for 20 min) and 20 sit ups and 20 sitting twists for the waist.
Tues Zumba

also try to cycle about 10 miles over the weekend.

But have I stopped burning fat and now building muscle? weigh 14 stone and would like to lose another 2 stone by Christmas, but at this rate I will be luck to lose 1/2 stone by then.
I spent last week 100% on plan, with hardly any usage of syns.

Any ideas would help.
Thanks

I think that even when/if you do build muscle, this will help you burn more fat more efficiently. I think it can be really hard when you work so much and weight loss seems to plateau, but stick with it, results will follow and also, you are really improving your cardiovascular health and general fitness ......always a good idea. Keep up the great work! x

cyberjelly said:
I spent last week 100% on plan, with hardly any usage of syns.

Any ideas would help.
Thanks

There's the key right there: if you doing that much exercise you have to eat your syns, I learnt that the hard way and maintained for 5 months was so frustrating! If your not feeding your body how do you expect it to burn energy correctly? Eat your 12-15 syns a day and I guarantee you'll start losing again. Also I would try mixing up your program abit, the body gets used to exercise very quickly, so if you've been doing the same routine for a while, you may not be burning as many calories as you would think!

Just a few ideas, hope this helps :)

I'd agree with the others - I've been maintaining and even gained in the last three weeks with all the weights, but I'm finally down a dress size, so cms going but not pounds. It's a bit disheartening, but I'm guessing worth it in the long run.

And Chiefbm - wow, what a photo - you look FAB!!!

Make sure your hydrating yourself enough as well as this can slow weight loss when exercising if your not drinking enough. Also I'd go out and buy a tape measure and measure yourself, cause you might still be losing inches, just not weight and it'll help to keep you motivated if you can see it happening x

I must have been one of the only blokes in the gym NOT looking to "muscle-up". With me it was all about weightloss - and the sooner the better.

Most of my stuff was walking, crosstrainer, bike and rowing machine. Basically just keeping moving and active.

I used to watch the weight trainers eyeing themselves up in the mirror. Hilarious.

I soon discovered a secondary bonus of all this exercise was natural muscle forming - especially with walking miles.

There is alot of good information above, everything that has been said is good advice. Your Syns are required, even taking them after training in something like a protein bar which will help you with muscle wastage/recovery etc etc, you also have to remember that the day you start to use your syns your body will not be use to them and you could start to then gain a little.

When training make sure your water intake is at the right level based on the amount of work you are doing. Getting fluids into those muscles to aid recovery regularly means your body will not retain water. Mixing the training does get better results, and it looks like your already doing that.

I must admit I do include a recovery drink in my training now, that seems to recover me quicker to be able more the following day. Devil and the deep blue sea on that though :)

You generally build muscle when your body needs to grow - because it needs to respond i.e its been stressed in term of intensity (not duration) and it responds to the demand. The aerobic exercise you describe wont need your body to grow muscle much as once it can cope, all its doing is delivery. With weights or kettlebells you increase the demand with higher weights or reps and the body builds bigger/stronger muscles.

Try do some some higher intensity work. Perhaps change one of your sessions so you do your elliptical/treadmill but for a shorter time but higher rate/speed/rpm. It still burns calories and challenges your body to respond. Alternativley you could introduce a weights based workwout - body combat, kettlebells etc.., are very effective

anyway well done on the 3 1/2 stone so far - great achievement

curvesncurls said:
I'd agree with the others - I've been maintaining and even gained in the last three weeks with all the weights, but I'm finally down a dress size, so cms going but not pounds. It's a bit disheartening, but I'm guessing worth it in the long run.

And Chiefbm - wow, what a photo - you look FAB!!!

Thank you you've made my day!! :) finally got my curves back feeling very sexy these days lol makes me blush to say that but my confidence Is up there now I'm nearly at 4 stone loss :)

I used to watch the weight trainers eyeing themselves up in the mirror. Hilarious.

Bodybuilders/ weight trainers need to examine their bodies to see their progression.

So good for them as they are trying to improve their physiques and I do think muscle is soooo much more attractive than fat.
At least they can look at themselves as I know being overweight I really don't like to look at myself.

Thanks for all the advice, I have spoken to the sports teacher here at college and they are going to go through my program and help me mix it up a bit, ( why pay when they're free).
Have been on a SAS plan this week and have been making sure I have my syns (12 on Tues, 13 today).

Will keep you updated on the progress.

POPPYLU said:
Bodybuilders/ weight trainers need to examine their bodies to see their progression.

So good for them as they are trying to improve their physiques and I do think muscle is soooo much more attractive than fat.
At least they can look at themselves as I know being overweight I really don't like to look at myself.

It's also vital for keeping your form, even with my little weights I needed to check my form as I had begun to lose it. I only do dumbbell exercises mind!

On the treadmill Tuesday I was opposite a very large man, as a very large woman it made me feel better! I hope seeing me try to run helped him too lol!

Definitely try weight training combined with high intensity interval training - I use upwards of 10kg free weights 4/5 times per week, don't be scared to lift heavy. I use the cross trainer for one minute high intensity, then 1 low. What a difference it has made to my body tone.

I'm not a real believer in slogging it out on the treadmill for hours on end, but it works for some. I personally believe that weight training is important for overall strength and healthy bones, core etc xx

Pooh I thought I was doing well with my 4kg dumbbells! I find the shoulder press hardest though and am now lifting 6kg on the first set and 4.5kg on the second. The c25K is interval training and I run on 0.5% incline

Back