When do you stop being 'fat'?

Emmamb

Silver Member
I've lost 6st + but bmi still 30+ but I still see a fat person in the mirror...but everyone who I speak to (mainly ppl that I didn't know a year ago) don't understand why I'm still dieting and that I look healthy as I am. Why don't I see the same?

It takes time for you to see yourself in a different light. You'll wake up one morning and realise you are not the same as you used to be. I saw still saw myself as being the 17stone girl i used to be 3/4 years ago up until 3 months ago, even though I knew I was 4 dress sizes smaller and healthier, I didn't see it at all. I basically just woke up the morning before the day i was meeting my favourite band for the second time, it was that hot week in march, and i woke up to a song by that band and for some reason the line "you're never gonna be like anyone, and that's ok" made me think that I wasn't who I used to be, I didn't have to please anyone anymore and I could finally dress and be who I wanted to be. The next day I went out in vest tshirts (which I would never wear before cos I was so ashamed of my arms), shorts and tights, and I went and met one of my idols like that. Something changed in me that day. So as I say, it will creep up on you, you will literally one day just think "i'm not fat anymore"

I guess it will take time! But at least the good thing is that you have lost an incredible amount of weight! Your image about yourself will follow, soon! Maybe you could try on the clothes that you used to wear before you started SW. Then you will DEFINITELY be able to tell the difference! :)
I simply hope that one day I can accomplish the same results that you have! :)

see i still class myself as fat i have lost 1 stone and lost 1 dress size but am still technically overweight according to all the guides so fo me personally i will always be fat till u get to ahealthy weight range. however, my friend says i look like i dont need to lose much more and my sister in law said i look tiny, im still a size 14 and only 5ft2 so i am struggling to believe either of these comments

PrincessPink-x said:
see i still class myself as fat i have lost 1 stone and lost 1 dress size but am still technically overweight according to all the guides so fo me personally i will always be fat till u get to ahealthy weight range. however, my friend says i look like i dont need to lose much more and my sister in law said i look tiny, im still a size 14 and only 5ft2 so i am struggling to believe either of these comments

I've just gone into a size 14 trousers but am a 12 top. My bmi is 31 so still a bit to go xx

I realised when me and a friend were messing about taking pictures in work. I couldn't believe it was me as I didn't see that when I looked In The mirror. After spending more than 10 years over weight it took me months to see myself as other people see me now. Even now I sometimes see the fat chuck staring back.

I've lost 6st + but bmi still 30+ but I still see a fat person in the mirror...but everyone who I speak to (mainly ppl that I didn't know a year ago) don't understand why I'm still dieting and that I look healthy as I am. Why don't I see the same?

Congratulations on the weight loss so far.

I wish I knew :( my BMI is 23 but I see an elephant when I look in the mirror!

Same here, I'm at target, my BMI is hovering around 22 and I still think I look the same as I did 4.5 stone ago when I look in a mirror or see photos.

What I've found helps when I'm feeling really bad is to put on some old clothes I've saved for the purpose of reminding me where I've come from (I've got rid of most of them so I would have to buy new clothes if I put weight back on). The other one which helps me see the weight loss is to get two photos of yourself next to each other, it was this that gave me my first moment of realisation I did look different.

I'm still struggling to see the thinner me :( I now weigh 13st 7lb and had a lecture off my mother in law about losing too much and becoming ill and someone I was talking to today was shocked that i still want to lose more. Y can't I see what they do??

I'm still struggling to see the thinner me :( I now weigh 13st 7lb and had a lecture off my mother in law about losing too much and becoming ill and someone I was talking to today was shocked that i still want to lose more. Y can't I see what they do??

I wouldn't worry about what other people think! Usually they cannot make up their minds! My brother was also overweight, my mom and aunt were *****ing to him about it (as they are to me) and after he lost the weight, they started *****ing about the fact that he looks too skinny! He might be a little on the thin side now, but it just looks like that because he doesn't really have muscles.
Anyway, the point is, keep going until you feel that you should stop! It doesn't matter what the others think! You're the one who lives in your body, so you're the one who should be comfortable with it!
I don't know, I might be wrong, but that's just my opinion about this...!

In any case, good luck with whatever you decide!

First and foremost, WELL DONE!!! 6 stone is an amazing achievement and you should feel very proud. Secondly, tell your well meaning friends and family that yes, you do feel and look a hell of a lot better, but people carry their weight in different ways and you still feel you have some more to lose, and that you have absolutely no intention of becoming dangerously thin or ill as a result so they can rest assured that you are in fact aware of what you are doing.

To them, they see a huge change in you, and are reacting to that, but you live with yourself all the time and the change is more gradual, and your mind will take longer to catch up to the reality of the changes you have made already. You probably have some idea of the weight you want to get to, and the size you want to be, and because you aren't there yet, you see yourself as still too big. Try and challenge yourself when you think that way, reassure yourself that actually, you are a lot lighter than you used to be, and you can now fit into pretty much every clothing range available, even though you still have some areas you want to target.

You'll get there. And you will know when you have.

I get comments from work colleagues and family about how trim I'm looking now and whilst I appreciate it, I don't feel trim and I don't think I will until I reach target. Someone at work said to me "Oh don't lose too much weight" and it really irritated me, I could lose another stone under my target and still technically be "healthy" with my BMI.

I let my OH touch my tummy now which I wouldn't before and I find myself doing it as well because it feels weird not having a big "gut" sticking out.

I agree about the clothes thing, when things are hanging off that you only wore a few months ago that can only be a good thing!

I wish I knew :( my BMI is 23 but I see an elephant when I look in the mirror!

Be careful lovely, this sounds like eating disorder territory you're in xx

Thanks everyone-I guess it just takes time.
It probably doesn't help that I never saw a massive person in the mirror when I was big-I'm kinda blinkered into only ever seeing 'me'.
Xx

Back