When is a HEX not a HEX????

hello, everybody

been reading minimins for a couple of weeks now and am a fellow addict -stops the snacking, anyway

this is my 3rd time on SW! in 10 years, so know it works but i have a Q that i've never known the answer to........ if you don't have all your HE do you count it or syn it???

ie, if i have only 1 alpen or 200ml of semi skimmed milk and no other a's or b's would the above count or should it be synned?? --2 consultants have told me different things, wondering if anyone here knows??

Last edited:
My consultant pulled me up for this and said i really should be eating the whole allowance for HEXA and B or syn it - but if you are pretty close to the whole allowance it seems really unfair to syn it to me and it still means you haven't had your HEXA or B which you are supposed to so after this discussion she said try not to do it regularly! Which i haven't but for the odd time it has occurred all has been well so far!
You do ned to be careful as SW is set up to offer a very good heal;thy balanced diet so by cutting out the bits we need it makes it unhealthy and i guess the SW people don't want us to develop bad habits but want us to re-train ourselves to eat well for life.

F4ye

There seems to be a few consultants who say that you should syn it if not having the full amount but there is nothing in the SW literature to back this up and indeed SW HQ have said the opposite. Your HEs are there to ensure a balanced diet and not to assist weight loss so not having the full amount only means that you won't get the full amount of fibre, calcium or protein. But that said I would encourage you to have your full quota, even if it means making a conscious effort to choose them over free foods.

Yes you should try to eat your full quota of HEXs for health reasons. For example women in later life can be especially prone to develop osteoporosis (brittle bone disease) so a good intake of calcium is invaluable to stop the bones becoming porous and weak. More fibre is essential too as a lack of fibre has been cited as a possible cause of bowel cancer. With protein it's much the same - I'm on green as I'm a veggie and I need to find some more avenues for getting protein to feed my musculature. For those on green there is an extended list of HEXs which are very useful indeed!

On the SW website is says that you do not have to have all of your HEX, however, it is encouraged to ensure you get the correct amount of fibre and/or calcium into your diet.

thanks everyone for this, v helpful -never usually a problem with the HEA's :D, mmm, cheeeeeeeese!! :D - plus i also have loads of yoghurts and ff cottage cheese -sometimes i plan to have the 2nd alpen bar or slice of bread but i'm just too full!!

my diet is balanced and varied and always has at least 5 a day but i do like to split my HE's as the thought of not having any (non-fruit/veg) food to fall back on can sometimes cause feelings of panic :eek: :eek: !!

thanks everyone for this, v helpful -never usually a problem with the HEA's :D, mmm, cheeeeeeeese!! :D - plus i also have loads of yoghurts and ff cottage cheese -sometimes i plan to have the 2nd alpen bar or slice of bread but i'm just too full!!

Cheese is a HEB too on Green as well as a HEA so you could just have extra cheese ;) This is what I do sometimes when I want a proper pre-SW amount of cheese on something! I'm veggie too.

Athough since discovering Kellogs Fibre Plus bars I'm having that as one of my HEB's.

Also there are a ton of other thing other than bread that can be your HEB like canned/stewed/dried fruit. I used to struggle with a 2nd HEB choice as I try not to eat much bread but someone suggested I read through the book and look at the huge choice of HEB's and that really helped.

HTH

x

Back