When is the best time to break free from cambridge diet?

salchichi

hi all,
i'v just been thinking about when and how i will stop using the cambridge diet products and eat healthy. can the wonderful mantainers please give an insight and tips please.

many thanks:D

Hey there

To be honest I would say as soon as possible. Cambridge is a tool, a very good one but still a tool. The sooner you let go the better in my opinion. Use it to get you where you want to be and then focus on maintenance.

Personally I moved up the plans when I was between 1.5 and 2 stone above my goal weight, staying at 1200 for the bulk of that time to lose the remainder. When I was at the weight I wanted to reach I moved up to 1500, did a couple of weeks to stabilise and then stopped CD.

x

thanks porgeous,
is it possible to do mantainance version without the shakes i.e just healthy food of possibly the same calorie and maybe take a multivitamin tabs? i'm just thinking of calorie counting the mantainance. what would you advice? thanks

sal

I agree with Porgeous that it's probably best to come off them as soon as you can once you start maintaining as otherwise it's too easy to rely on CD quick fixes to lose a few lbs here and there and that's not a great long term maintenance plan.

I still rely on CD bars and really shouldn't be. I don't have an appointment with my CDC but know I can contact her if I need more packs. I'm hoping that I won't go down that road even though it's tempting as I've put on quite a few lbs after a holiday. Then again I plan to go on holiday most years and don't want to go back to my CDC every time so will have to figure out how to simply cut back a little until it comes off again.

I do like the bars though and love the cappuccino shake for breakfast and so I don't feel bad about using these as they are simply an alternative to something else rather than a replacement for food (not sure if that makes sense lol but I know what I mean ;))

I agree with Porgeous. I have some vanilla packs left over because I miscounted my last order. Once they are over, there'll be no more packs for me. I do love the vanilla packs with yoghurt so I'm going to miss them, just because I like the flavour and I can't find a vanilla yoghurt that tastes as good. I really needed to make the break from going back onto packs in order to learn to successfully maintain.

To answer your second question, I believe it's worth going up the steps using the packs as it helps to learn discipline and keeps your vitamins and minerals up but I'd stop them after that.

Oh edit to add that I actually finished the steps last year and only in the last few weeks started the vanilla shakes again as I found a stash :) Now I love them again.

Last edited:
Hey there

To be honest I would say as soon as possible. Cambridge is a tool, a very good one but still a tool. The sooner you let go the better in my opinion. Use it to get you where you want to be and then focus on maintenance.

Personally I moved up the plans when I was between 1.5 and 2 stone above my goal weight, staying at 1200 for the bulk of that time to lose the remainder. When I was at the weight I wanted to reach I moved up to 1500, did a couple of weeks to stabilise and then stopped CD.

x

That's interesting, how long did it take you to get to goal after you started to work up the plans? - Until you began 1500.

Salchichi - personally I would work up the plans doing at least 2 weeks at each level and then move to calorie counting. Calorie counting is an excellent way of maintaining and I still use it even now.

Alli - you will probably find you haven't gained as much as you think as flying causes you to retain water which will come off over the next couple of days. The few lbs that are left will definately drop off by returning to a normal eating pattern.

Bess - I can't remember the exact dates but I moved up the plans in November and reached my goal weight in March so about 4 months, slow and steady but as I had got rid of 3.5 stone ish already on sole source I didn't mind the remainder taking that bit longer.

x

Can I just say , you look amazing !!! Great photos , what an inspiration for me to keep going ! Coming to end of 2nd week sole source , after your advice think I will move up to 810 , starting to stare at my colleagues lunches a bit too much !! Have been worried about reintroducing food at some point so will gradually move up. xx Thank you.

Back