When should I start?

ler01kjh

Had good thoughts to do the CD so had a weigh in and bought 2 weeks worth of sachets. But then I was ill for a month and then went on holiday for another. Now I'm back and heavier than ever. Somehow I keep finding a reason to not start....
I'm not too keen on the 'wind down' your carbs approach I think I need to just get on with it, but am in fear of failure (and the pressures from work colleagues to eat cake!).

Hi there, I didnt wind down at all, just jumped right in. I made sure I had no nights out, meals planned for a while though, and in work, I just made sure I said "No" when the cakes where coming around.
Its hard but if your determined you can do it. When you have your first weeks weigh in the desire to carry on is amazing.
Good luck x

If your work colleagues really want what is best for you, then they will support you all the way. Even if they don't, there's always an abundance of support on here :)

Of course you should start whenever is most comfortable/suitable for you, but my only regret in doing CD is that I didn't do it years earlier.

Hi, and welcome to minimins :)

I'm not too keen on the 'wind down' your carbs approach I think I need to just get on with it,

I know that winding down on the carbs might seem like delaying the diet, but when I did it, I took the first day of the diet as the day I started reducing the carbs, rather than reduce carbs then start diet.

After all, when you reduce the carbs, you start losing weight, so you need to take your scale weight from that day anyway.

Psychologically it was good to know that I was actually 'getting on with it' rather than having to do the carb reduction before I could get on with it :D All head stuff :D

but am in fear of failure (and the pressures from work colleagues to eat cake!).

If you believe you will fail, you may just do that. I would say that this diet was the easiest, but also the hardest diet I've ever done. But I wanted it...really really wanted it.

Maybe you need to sit and do a pros and cons list, because it's not really the type of diet you can do because you feel you should. You have to want it.

And if you do really want it, set a day to reduce carbs...Cambridge about 3-4 days later. Works really well that way. Remember that when you are reducing carbs, there's still plenty to eat, so it doesn't feel like you are on a diet, but the scales will move. By day 4 you'll slip into Cambridge quite easily :)

Best of luck whatever you chose :)

Mmmm I'm having the same dilema! I was due to see my CDC last month but sick kids and the snow got in the way! I'm finally seeing her on wednesday and would love to start straight away but hubby is taking me out for a meal on mothers day!

I have just started Cambridge diet last Thursday and although I still want food in my head, I must say I'm not as hungry as I thought I'd be and my desire for food is decreasing slowly.
I didn't reduce my carbs or fat before I started, I enjoyed the foods I love as I know it would be the last time I would eat them in a long while. I'm so glad I did it though because I got it out of my system and now I can concentrate on losing weight.
My first weigh in is Wednesday evening so I'm looking forward to seeing how much I've lost especially as people have already commented that my face looks thinner!!! Probably just being polite but it helps when you have positive people around you.

I didn't reduce my carbs or fat before I started, I enjoyed the foods I love as I know it would be the last time I would eat them in a long while. I'm so glad I did it though because I got it out of my system and now I can concentrate on losing weight.

I know that feeling :D

I remember when my CDC recommended I reduced the carbs, I was horrified. No way wasn't I going to have my Last Supper.

After I had to come off the diet, I realised that I could have it both ways. I could eat what I wanted and finish the grub:eek:, then start the diet on Monday (as in reduce carbs)..then onto Cambridge on Thursday.

Not that I'm saying people should have a last supper :D

Though it seems like delaying the diet, it wasn't really, as much of your first week is water, which you lose in those first few low carb days....then on to the real thing :clap:

Whatever works eh.

I sort of decided to do the diet on a monday morning and by the monday night i had visited my counsellor and bought the packs, i started the next day, but thats how i approach most things.

I sort of decided to do the diet on a monday morning and by the monday night i had visited my counsellor and bought the packs, i started the next day, but thats how i approach most things.

I think that's what I'll do; did you have any problems 'jumping straight in'?

Although it might help you feel a bit better if you cut down the carbs, I really didn't before I started. Really, there's no time like the present to get started.

After all, the best time to plant a large tree is 25 years ago. The second-best time to plant is now.

Hiya, sorry i've only just logged on this morning. I had no problems really, i felt a bit weak and feeble for a couple of days but it didnt stop me working or anything. Just make sure you are drinking the reccommended anmount of water from the word go. I lost 10lbs in my first week without a carb wind down. Though i know it may be easier for people if they start low carbing before they start CD.

Oink has said it in a nutshell. I originally planned to do LL but nobody contacted me until January... the CDC called me back the same day. It was late Nov & I thought it would be sensible to start after Xmas... she said, why not start now? I did, and had lost over a stone by the time Xmas rolled around, with two more gone since. Just jump in and go for it... and good luck!
xxx

I just jumped right in it as wanted to start straight away. Conviniently when I started I was on 3 doubles, so I was so busy working during the day and evenings I didnt even have time to give up and binge!

You want to lose weight now - so start now and tell yourself you CAN do it! The first week loss will be enough of a boost to make you want to carry on. x

Thanks very much for all your messages, it's terrific. I've decided to go for it, otherwise I'll always put it off waiting to get a holiday out of the way or some other occassion. So I've started today! I think it'll be the only way I'll start!

Go for it honey... and good luck. You won't regret it!
xxx

Good luck with your weight loss. The support you get from here really is invaluable, as no-one else can really understand what you're going through. I decided to do this diet when I was at my lowest point and, as others have said, you really need to WANT to do it. If you approach it half-heartedly you won't succeed. I am amazed at the willpower I have dredged up when times have been hard-if it had been any other diet I would have caved by now. I just looked back on my old Slimming World booklet and noticed that in 3 months I still hadn't managed to lose a stone-yet here I am on my 7th day already nearly half a stone down. It's that that keeps me going.:)

Good Luck! x

Back