When to give up doing food diaries???

I just feel like it's an obsession or addiction, when I think of my week I know I've not gone off track as I've still kept track of my syns, yet I don't feel in control just because I've not kept a diary.
Feels like it's a bit like a comfort blanket to me.

Think I'll be keeping my comfort blanket until I'm at target and feel secure without it.

I've been at target for over a year and I still keep a food diary, I don't want to stop.

I've been doing SW for 63 weeks I think it said, lol, and I have kept a food diary every day for all of those! I find it useful for me to just keep track of what I am doing and how I'm doing it! I even keep one on facebook! :)

I think its a preferance thing, I like to do it so I do. :)

I always keep a food diary, just what works for me. It benefits me if I have a bad week as well as I can go back and look at my previous diarys for inparation :)

I dont do a food diary at all but i plan my food and know what syns i have used throughout the day so i do keep a close eye on them!!

xx

MandiNKel

Others have said lots so I won't add too much except to say that I started SW in 2006, Lost 2+ stone over 8 months keeping a diary every day. "Had a rest" (got bored of doing it on my own in Spain) but kept track of my weight every week. Every time I put a bit back on, out came the food diary to track stuff and lose the extra lbs.

Lost the plot at the end of last year and put 7 lbs back on by not weighing, planning and doing diary!

So here I am again. I've lost the 7 lbs and I'm determined to lose all the rest of my flab too. Diary, plan and all!

Keep your comfort blanket and keep on track!

Last edited:
I definately need my food diary. if i didnt write everything down i know id probably go way over syns and eat things and pretend i havent eaten them at all or id genuinely forget something id eaten. it depends on the person so whatever suits u hun..stick with it! :)

I do SW online now as I could no longer go to our class. I need a food diary as it keeps me on track and it sounds crazy but it is like my comfort blanket!!!
Also I use the tools on the website to help me.
Good luck
xx

Definately not crazy - mine is my planner, my back tracker (for when things went badly or well), my conscience, my self rantings and my security blanket all rolled into one- that diary was the best £1 in the poundshop I've spent in a while!!

I enjoy doing my online diary, and looking back through past weeks for meal inspiration and seeing how I have been doing.
I think I will keep is going once (if ever!) I reach target, as it takes me 2 mins a day to do - so its no big effort to log in and fill it in daily.

i am slightly concerned that I will be a 70 odd year woman still writing down everything I eat to keep on track so I will try & wean (sp?) myself off the diary once I have got to target, and stayed there for a good while. Though at the rate I'm losing its entirely possible I will be 70 by that point :)

SW say it's not normal behaviour to write everything down for ever and ever, and I do agree.
I've been at this game for 4 years now and it took me a long time to stop writing down (probably 2 years or more!)
However..... all you need to do is keep track of your syns, there's no real need to write everything else down.

I do still write down if I want to try to get lots of speed and superspeed in, so I can see how many I've had or if I'm struggling and want to see where I'm going wrong.

The reason you get 4 diaries in your pack is because these diaries are used as a consultant's tool to help new members. They can see that the new member is following the plans correctly and if they are getting all the required elements of the plan in. Diaries are then given out to struggling members, again, so the consultant can see where (and if) they are going wrong.

I think as soon as you can stop writing down it's a good thing, just keep an eye on the syns.

I dont see anything wrong with keeping a diary - if its feasible for you to fit it in to your day (and lets be honest it takes 2 minutes) and it helps you stay focussed and on track then why not?

I have a pretty little notebook (stationery geek :eek:) that i keep in my bag and update whenever i need to.

I like having a record of what I did differently over good weeks and bad weeks and I really think that i'll continue to keep my diaries until i get to target, whenever that may be!

My food diary is almost like my daily catch up with my own conscience! If I think about cheating I think about writing it down and it really does make me think twice - so sad I know! However, for me its a v useful tool and here to stay!

this is true for me as well. Sometimes I'll skip that extra naughty treat because I don't want to write the syns down in my diary!

Back