Where do I start? So unfit :(

kiekie

Banned
Hi guys :wave_cry:

I've had a few setbacks on my exercise regime and I need to start over.

When I was younger (I'm 27) I would exercise a lot, waitress and be very active by going to the gym and doing kickboxing and various videos. (And I thought I was fat then, ha!). I was such a gym bunny but over the years and putting on over 2 stone (now 11), I just can't handle it anymore.

I joined a gym and had an initial assessment and a fairly easy programme mapped out for me to get up to speed. But although I could see, from my previous exercise experience, that the programme was very easy, physically it was an absolute nightmare to perform. I was almost sick, and I wasn't even pushing myself that hard. I was so embarrassed, I only went back once more and I\m wasting an expensive membership.

I've never got on with routines that trainers have written as I always knew my own body and limits well enough to write my own and get the results I wanted but it's all gone out the window and my motivation and self-esteem are shot.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an absolute beginners build up programme and any tips on motivation and sticking power?

I'd love to hear of anyone experiencing the same thing and how they cleared the hurdle.

Thanks - Kiekie

i am exactly the same, i had a gym programme mapped out for me and after finishing it the first time i passed out.... embarrassing or what?!?!

the best thing i can think of is put some tunes on a MP3 player (money saved from the expensive gym membership, and buy a good MP3 player) and hit the streets, walk your dog or a friends or walk around the local country park, set a route and do it quicker each time. or do the same but on a bike!

that is what me and my sister do, the route we chose, the first time we did it was in 50 minutes now we have it to 35 minutes, so when it gets shorter still, we will find another route or add extra on to the one we have!!!

i hope that helps!!!

set a route and do it quicker each time. or do the same but on a bike!

that is what me and my sister do, the route we chose, the first time we did it was in 50 minutes now we have it to 35 minutes, so when it gets shorter still, we will find another route or add extra on to the one we have!!!

Thats pretty much what I was going to advise!

Choose an exercise you enjoy, and keep setting mini-goals and breaking personal records every time you have a workout.

Thanks SpecialK and Justin, I guess I will have to swallow my pride and start from the bottom!

I think I'll start by power walking until I'm pooped, then continue doing that distance and try to get the time down each session.

All motivated now! Thanks so much! x

Hey chicken dont worry I decided to take up running in March as a size 18! I used podrunner which is a beginner to 5k workout programme over 9 weeks, its fast dancy/techno music and signals you when to run and walk, it is so gradual but in 9 weeks you WILL be able to run 5k without dying. I managed to run it before my 30th birthday in May and have now got the running bug and have entered for 2 10k runs! Give it a go, I used to hate exercise particualarily running but I love it now! It's also FREE!!!! You can get it off itunes to but here is the link xx good luck!
Podrunner: Intervals - Free Workout Music for 5K Training

Prosecco, I was just reading this thread out of interest.. that sounds like a fab way to start exercising! I'm a (rather tight, it has to be said!) size 14 and I am so darn unfit, I've been despairing at just the thought of exercising, but you say it's gradual...? I'm gonna give it a go!

Wow, that's a great achievement Prosecco! And it sounds like an absolutely fab was to get started - I cannot even imagine attempting 5k but I'm totally going to use that programme.

Thanks so much!! xxx

Back