Where do i start with running?

I really want to start jogging, but haven't run really since my schooldays.

Where do I start? I have been going for walks lately, but want to push it further

Any advice?

Hi
I struggled to run more than 30 seconds without been seriously out of breath. Then I started C25k (couch to 5k). This is a program that builds you up to running a 5k run (3.1 mile), by doing so much walking and so much running.
I can now happily run 5k quite easily.
You can get the program as a phone app, podcast or you can google it.

Me and my partner are starting a similar program to this next week (Monday)! So this week I'm getting a head start (lol) by walking for 30 mins everyday at a fast paced.

I'd LOVE to run too, but I feel really heavy and have to stop after 20 secs or less!!

That's a great idea, I've downloaded the app. I'm quite busty so always used it as an excuse not to bother, but I really want to do it, so hopefully this is going to be the way to go!

I struggled to find the time as I have a toddler, so running outside was bit of a nightmare. It did mean only running once a week, but was still enough to get through the program. Good luck, keep us posted :)

You need to be able to walk before you can jog. If you can't walk for at least 30 minutes, don't bother trying to jog. Get your walking stamina up first.

Don't worry if your first jogging sessions are only 10 to 15 minutes long and are mostly walking. What's important is that you build on the jogging endurance you already have. If you never jog, then you have little or no jogging endurance, so any jogging (even if its only a few seconds) is an improvement.

1.Warm Up Those Muscles
Walk for at least 2 to 5 minutes (5 minutes is best). This is like the switch that tells your body, "We're going to exercise now." This will help your body start supplying extra blood to those muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, arteries, veins, and capillaries involved with jogging. This is very important because it will help you prevent injuries.

2.Try a Slow Jog Using Good Jogging Postures and Movements
Pick up the pace and start jogging. It may feel awkward at first, but it will eventually feel more natural. There are entire books about the proper jogging technique, but really you just need to move in a way that feels comfortable for you. While doing that, though, pay attention to your posture and how your body is moving. To reduce your chances of developing injuries, try to keep a few of the following things in mind:
Keep your arms relaxed and bent, allowing them to swing naturally, but don't let them cross the front of your body, and don't clench your fists. RELAX! Try to land on your heels, let your foot roll forward, and push off with the ball of your foot. Don't prance or trot on your toes (you are not a pony). Don't drag your feet, but also don't lift your legs up too high. You want to move forward, not upward. (Remember, you're not a pony. No prancing.) Avoid bending forward. Stand tall with your head up. If you feel yourself leaning forward, as if you're forcing yourself to move forward, you may be pushing yourself too hard, so slow down.

3.Let Your Body Decide When to Start and Stop
Don't be surprised if you can jog for only a minute (or in my first jogging session 10 seconds!). Stop jogging before you start huffing and puffing or feeling like you're pushing yourself too hard. This is because you are trying to introduce your body to jogging. You don't want to push it too far too fast, and you especially don't want to create an exhausting experience that's going to make you dread jogging in the future. When you feel like stopping, just bring down the pace and start walking again.

4.Catch Your Breath
Walk only long enough to catch your breath and rebuild your energy. This could take 30 seconds to 30 minutes depending on your fitness level. (I was in the 30 minute category when I first started.)

5.Slow Jog Again
When you're ready (and if there is time left in your workout), start jogging again. Jog until just before you feel worn out. Again, it may be only 30 seconds, but it's an improvement.

6.Cool Down
Walk slowly for at least 5 minutes to slow your heart rate. This will also tell your body that it no longer needs to supply extra blood to those body parts involved in jogging. Instead it will redirect that blood back to the internal organs. You may want to consider increasing the length of your cool down if you have muscle soreness or asthma. Some people say that cooling down reduces muscle soreness during the next couple of days. Some people with asthma say that longer cool downs help reduce their post-exercise asthma attacks.

7.Stretch
Thoroughly stretch out your muscles for at least 30 seconds. Stretching less than 30 seconds doesn't increase your flexibility sufficiently. Stretching more than 30 seconds doesn't do much to improve your flexibility (but it does feel good). The repeated contractions of the jogging will tighten your muscles and tendons. You must stretch them back out. If you don't stretch, over time you will become very stiff.

You Did It! Now Rest and Get Some Sleep

After any workout, no matter what type of exercise or sport you do, you need to rest your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones. The workout shocks your body parts, and actually causes microscopic injuries. The rest period is when your body builds up its strength and endurance by repairing those injuries. If you don't allow yourself the necessary rest time, you'll actually see your performance worsen rather than improve, a process called overtraining, and you'll be putting yourself at risk for painful injuries.
When you first start your routine, you may need to wait 2 to 3 days before your body is ready to try again. If you're still sore after 3 days (whether that soreness be in your legs or lungs), you may need to rest longer, but consider seeing your doctor to make sure that you don't have significant injuries (e.g. pulled muscles, torn ligaments, etc

Do you know if you can get an app for the android as I can only seem to find them for iphone & ipod
thanks

I'm pretty sure I have seen an app for android advertsied somewhere. I have it for blackberry though it isnt as good as the one for iphone it still does what it needs to

Hi, also thinking of taking up jogging, has anybody got any advice re good trainers to wear. Many thanks xx

i wouldnt reccomend the way im getting into it, my first attempt at running was a 3 mile run, lasted 5 minutes before i was gasping for breate and had to go home. i literally went straight into the hard part, really really difficult at first.

the C25K sounds like a really good way to start, i wish id known about that when i was needing to run a 5k race!

i now just run for as long as i can on the treadmill, every other day. the day after my calves are aching that much i cant do that run!

I used to think the same Perpleo, but I can now run for 30 mins and still training to increase this. I cannot recommend C25k enough for anyone wanting to start running gradually :)
There are a few threads on here for C25k

Remember, you're not a pony. No prancing.

aaaahahahahaahah :D

The good think about c25k is that it sets out a routine, and its adaptable for every level of fitness. The sets have two speeds, and you can do a walk/fast walk, walk/jog jog/run or whatever speed you can do. So you could do the sessions 3 or 4 times over and gradually increase your speeds.

I started mine yesterday at the gym :D

I've got the Couch 2 5K app on my iphone and yes I did struggle a little bit, although it wasnt the running part, it was the walking! I would run for 1min then walk for 1.30 and everytime I slowed down I felt my legs ache lol.

BUT, it defo wasnt as hard as I thought it would be, infact the 30 mins overall passed really quickly. I was so chuffed with myself as running has been a dream for me for a good few yrs now!

Looking forward to my next one on Wed.

Good luck :D

Started C25K this a.m. and it went ok. Did 20 mins and felt really good. Certainly nice to do early.

I had half heartedly started it last year but fell into bad habits again! Plan to keep it up this time plus the power/nordic pole walking. Also abs exercises. Static bike, hula hooping, yoga and anything else to stop me getting bored with regaining fitness!

What sort of diets are people on alongside running? I've been on Dukan for a couple of weeks, but it does make you quite tired.

I've just started Atkins (Sunday) and boy am I tired!!! I dont even feel like I can lift my arms atm! Fx It will be better tomorrow!

Im not giving up tho, if the C2K is the only excercise I can do atm, then so be it!!

I tried Dukan but it made me feel ill in the end. I did 5 days attack and lost 5 lbs and was thrilled. Got the constipation, exhaustion, tummy rumbling like an irrate camel and got a couple of spots (I never normally get headaches), headaches (I never get headaches normally), nausea..... Tried to cope with cruise but just could not carry on.

Am back on GI and feeling normal again and have my old energy back. it took me 2 weeks to recover!

Back