Where do you buy your rhubarb

Sarah2439

Hi,

Just wondering where the UK peeps buy their Rhubarb? I bought some fresh from Sainsburys but ran out today and neither sainsbury nor Tescos have either fresh or frozen. I dont want to buy tinned because of the sugar. Rhubarb n yogurt is my safety net when I want something sweet, so I really need to get some ASAP.

Cheers

S x

Hi,

Just wondering where the UK peeps buy their Rhubarb? I bought some fresh from Sainsburys but ran out today and neither sainsbury nor Tescos have either fresh or frozen. I dont want to buy tinned because of the sugar. Rhubarb n yogurt is my safety net when I want something sweet, so I really need to get some ASAP.

Cheers

S x

I tend to buy wherever I see it at a reasonable price. I had some from Asda the other day though that tasted mouldy :jelous: . They don't sell it frozen which I find strange as it freezes fantastically, I imagine its because there isn't such an abundance of it as other softer fruit.

When can u have it? I'm on cruise but my book doesn't mention it just certain veg on top of attack food :( x

jan9209 said:
When can u have it? I'm on cruise but my book doesn't mention it just certain veg on top of attack food :( x

I think it's a tolerated on cruise? Apparently lush with the oatbran porridge for breakfast. Morrisons have it fresh at the moment, and Aldi have it for 99p. I'll be heading into Farmfoods to buy it frozen methinks

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

I seem to remember that Rhubarb is stunningly easy to grow - my dad had a few crowns in a corner of the garden that never had any care of any kind, and year after year there was rhubarb to eat...

I should see I've I can get some going!

I always buy it from farmfoods, need to check mines in the garden

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

wish mine would grow, hubby said ill not get any till next year. :-( is that right.....rhubarb helps with hot flushes???

Good news about Farmfoods, will give it a try and stock up, I bought two (admittedly big) stalks from Sheffield markets this morning cost a fortune! Was Yorkshire though :D

I seem to remember that Rhubarb is stunningly easy to grow - my dad had a few crowns in a corner of the garden that never had any care of any kind, and year after year there was rhubarb to eat...

I should see I've I can get some going!

Ah I wish! Our garden / soil / aspect / weather does not suit it :-( and I can't find out why. I've got two sad crowns (one a gift from a friend who was splitting&rejuvenating hers, the other from a garden centre), they grow a bit every spring and then never make it past hand-height. I've tried protecting them, leaving them alone, watering them, not watering them....

So I'm back to buying in bulk from the Market when it's in season (now!), and then here in Cambridge only ASDA seem to stock it frozen.

Poor you anjuschka! We had some in our garden when we moved in and it took years to kill off! (after being "dug out" many times!) it actually grows out in public near me too...just on grass verges!!

I bought 12:eek: The checkout lady looked at me sympathetically as she dragged the 12 packed over the scanner LOL
I stewed them in my Thermie for 8 minutes with a bit of sweetener and portioned it for the freezer in quark pots!!! I love it and soo glad we can have on the plan.

Back