Which is a better oil?

smithj

Banned
I was waiting on the counter when I noticed someone who has olive, corn oil, and sesame oil on her pushcart. I knew she was trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle by looking at the content of her cart.

Mine have coconut oil, which brought me to wonder which among them is better. Any idea?

I was watching something on tv the other day and they said rapeseed oil was the best. Here's a couple of things said about it.
"Rapeseed oil has about half the saturated fat found in olive oil, and a fraction of that in palm oil,"
rapeseed oil's big selling point, say converts, is its health-giving properties. As with olive oil, rapeseed oil contains Omegas 3, 6 and 9, essential fatty acids known to reduce cholesterol and maintain heart health, joint mobility and brain function. It is also a rich, natural source of vitamin E. High in mono-unsaturated fats, it is one of the few unblended oils that can be heated to deep-frying temperature without its antioxidants, character, colour and flavour spoiling. In short, it is one of best "good" oils

Wouldnt it depend what you are doing with it??
Olive oil is good for cooking, I use corn oil for making cakes (helps them stay moist when they are frozen), and isnt sesame oil good for stir fries and dressing??
As long as its not going in a deep fat fryer!!:D

They say olive oil is not great for use in cooking, as it has a low smoke point. This means it starts to break down at a lower temperature than other oils. It's recommended that you do not heat an oil past its smoke point.

High quality extra virgin olive oils (with low free fatty acids) have a high smoke point. They are an excellent choice, although an expensive one. Mass produced, low quality olive oils have a much lower smoke point.

So while you can of course cook using olive oil, it's best keep the heat low, under 200°C, as you will be killing off any nutrients and quite a bit of the taste. The best use for olive oil is at room temprature, drizzled over a salad.

Since we are talking about oils I just wanted you guys to know a list of oils you should avoid as they are just not real:

[h=2]What Olive Oils to Buy… and Avoid[/h] In the UC Davis study, these brands failed to meet extra-virgin olive oil standards:

• Bertolli
  • Carapelli
  • Colavita
  • Filippo Berio
  • Mazzola
  • Mezzetta
  • Newman’s Own
  • Pompeian
  • Rachel Ray
  • Safeway
  • Star
  • Whole Foods
In the same study, these olive oils met the extra-virgin standards:

• Corto Olive
  • California Olive Ranch
  • Kirkland Organic
  • Lucero (Ascolano)
  • McEvoy Ranch Organic

0 cal oil?? whats it called?

just ordered some thanks x

Without a shadow of a doubt I swear by hemp seed oil. Full of Omega 3, 6 and 9 and it's referred to as the 'complete oil'. Flaxseed is also popular but not as good as hemp seed. I also use virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil. Although I don't use much of them. The coconut doubles up as a great hair conditioner and moisturiser. I alternate through those three. If you do want to use rapeseed check out the vegetable oils as many are rapeseed but they charge you a premium when it says it on the label :eek:

Last edited:
Any oils mentioned here are good, i've just found out about coconut oil and bought some for my skin! First chance I get I'll want to try cooking with it........

HOWEVER I should have said any oils bar the 1cal one, steer clear of anything that states low fat, low sugar, artificial sweeteners and aspartame. As I see it, its been made chemically and won't touch it with a barge pole.

We all need good fats and I'm afraid this isn't one of them.

Fatman Slimming is right - I have always read that rapeseed oil is the least fat (obviously other than 1 cal spray - but thats just marg in a spray bottle!) I think health wise - not only for cals, but vitamins too, rapeseed oil is good, and you really don't need a lot of it!

Attorney AK - WOW that list is interesting! I use Bertoilli extra virgin all the time!!!!

I haven't heard of coconut oil before - will look out for that one!

I think it all depends what you are using it for. Rapeseed/ low cal cooking spray for cooking, and then small bit of extra virgin on salads. I read an italian cook book once, that said extra virgin should ONLY be used on salads as it has a rich nutty taste when uncooked!

Back