Who actually follows the 'ideal weight guide'??

stef2009

Gold Member
Ok so ive never even bothered to look before at my ideal 'weight and bmi'.

Ive just looked and it says i should be between 95-106lb for my size, that is
only 6.5 stone to 7.8 stone whIch i dont agree with, i think i would look awfull! I wanted to get to 9.5 stone but the chart says that would make me overweight??!!!

So do we all follow this guideline, or is it aload of rubbish as everyone is a different frame size and shape!?

Bit annoyed now the weight i thought id be fine at is calling me overweight!!! Grrrr!!! :mad:

Last edited:
For my height I need to be between 8-9 stones n it's way too low for me! I'll stop once am under 10 st or in a size 10-12 as if I went lower I would look ill n anorexic!
I go with my clothes more than BMI really.
I personally think it's extreme as how the BMI is calculated !!

Thankyou!!! Not just me then!! I want to be a 10-12, i dont want to be an 8 i wouldnt suit it! Its very annoying though that ur still classed at OVERWEIGHT when your in the 9 stones!!! x

I'm 5th medium build and I should be between 102 an 127 lbs, that's 7st 4 and 9st 1.

I know from personal experience that at 9st 1, I am still chubby and could quite easily be 8st without looking skinny. Anything less would be approaching skinny on me I think.

Also just noticed in the original post 106 lbs is 7st 8lbs. Not 8 and a half. x

7.8!!!! Oh well that just makes it even worse lmao!
Ohh i guess i'll just see how it goes, i guess going from 15.10 to 9.5 stone i shouldnt be moaning, im just baffled and annoyed i'd be super chuffed with my loss and the p*ss take nhs still have me as overweight on there charts, absoloute joke!!!! I hope i dont look chubby at 9.5 stone lol x

I'm going to see how I feel, look and how my clothes fit and when I'm happy with that, then I'll go to maintenance. Much less pressure!

Stef - I don't know what calculation you are using but it doesn't make sense to me. A healthy weight range for bmi is 20 to 25. To have a bmi of 25 at a weight of 106 lbs you would have to be 4 foot 6". At that height a weight of 95 lbs would give you a bmi of 22.9 - the weight for a bmi of 20 would be 83 lbs. All of this means that I don't think you're calculating your bmi correctly.

My height is 5 ft 6" and my healthy bmi is between 8 stone 12 lbs and 11 stone 1 lb. This seems reasonable to me. I will probably aim to be 9.5 stone or 10 stone - not sure yet.

BMI has lots of problems, especially if you exercise a lot or are of far east heritage. But otherwise it's actually a reasonable indication of health.

i hate this!!! just because people are shorter doesnt mean they look good or its healthy to be skinny!!!

it annoys me, because the UK average is a size 16 so how can you be called "overweight" at like 9stone! madness!!

ignore it bbe, i do! get to the size and weight you are comfortable with! thats all the matters! because no doubt if you were in the healthy range then you would look anorexic like you said because it doesnt suit you!

dont let it dishearten you at all!!! xxxxxx

I calculated it on a site cnt find it now, if i was at my goal weight 135 lb it says im overwight (if your between 25-29.9) and i would be 26.4.
And it says on that nhs chart thingy that for my height i should be in the 8 stones as a healthy weight, or am i just bein plain thick and reading all these measurments wrong!?? xx

Thanks em :) xxxx

If your bmi at 135 is 26.4 then by my calculations you are 5 ft tall. At 5 ft your healthy bmi weight range is between 103 lbs (7 st 5 lbs) and 128 lbs (9 st 2 lbs). Of course, you don't have to go that far if it doesn't seem right for you. This is just a scale. So someone with a bmi of 25 idn't hugely heathier than someone with 25.1.

stef2009 said:
7.8!!!! Oh well that just makes it even worse lmao!
Ohh i guess i'll just see how it goes, i guess going from 15.10 to 9.5 stone i shouldnt be moaning, im just baffled and annoyed i'd be super chuffed with my loss and the p*ss take nhs still have me as overweight on there charts, absoloute joke!!!! I hope i dont look chubby at 9.5 stone lol x

I'm sure you won't look chubby! I just hold my weight very badly so look chubby even at a light weight. I don't exercise and never have which is probably why. I don't have a toned muscle in my body (well, except my tongue from talking an eating hahaha). :D

Well im 4'11, 5'0 ish, i like to call myself 5foot LOL
Yeah it wouldnt be right for me, still feel its abit harsh though to be called overweight.
My mum is the same height as me and she went to just over 7 and a half stone when she was depressed and looked an absoloute mess, really annorexic, but they class that as 'healthy' as an adverage. And my mum has a small-medium frame. But then again theres obviously people out there that do look healthy at that weight. Just think they need to re-do it or atleast re-word some of it... But anyway rant over lol xx

Yeah I seems a bit of a generalisation doesn't it! It all depends on your body makeup. Now I have a very fatty makeup according to my body fat scales I'm always a very high body fat percentage which would explain why I need to go lower for it to make a difference. But other people will have denser bones / leaner muscle tissue meaning that they would look ill at the weight I want to be.

My mum and sister both weigh around 8st and my mum is my height, but my sister is 5ft 5 (& 8.5st) so she is more stretched out! Lol but neither of them looks that skinny (nice and slim, but not skinny) so it's just in my family genes. But why do I have to be the fat one!!? LMAO!!!! :D

I think it depends on the person just, I'm the same height as you & at 9stone I still look chubby, but I've got a friend even shorter than us & she's about 9 & 1/2 stone & she looks super slim! I think its a very generalised guide & you should just go with what you feel you are most comfortable with! xox

how do you find out what build you are?! xxx

Yep i agree!
I duno i just guessed lmao! xx

how do you find out what build you are?! xxx

General rule of thumb (excuse the pun) is you grip gently around your wrist with your thumb and middle finder:

If they overlap, you are small build.

If they touch nicely, you are medium.

If there is a gap between, you are large.

Oh balls! I did it gentle and there was a TINY gap!! I did it tight there was none, Im large!!!!!!! What does this mean!!?? lol x

Back