Who are you losing weight for?

I want to feel good about myself.

I don't want the shame of the practice nurse lecturing me on my weight ever again and telling me that I need to diet (fair enough I am overweight but less than 2st overweight) and asking why I had gained 11lbs in a year, she made me feel so ashamed of myself!

I want to feel healthier and make good choices with my eating (I have a big obsession with sweeties so have cut them out altogether for a bit)

This raises a very good question. I have not read the replies inbetween before replying, so apologies if i have missed something.

But yes, we do lose weight for ourselves, but it is for other people as well. How much do we go out into social events, being the fat one, covered up in long shirts and baggy clothes, then seeing a photo of how we look against the slim good looking person? Of course it is not only for ourselves! It IS for others as well - be it husbands, wives, friends, strangers, just public perception. This whole mumbu jumbu about "do it for yourself" is bloody nonsense if you ask me. It is for ourselves in that we want to shop in the slim section of the store, that we want to look good on camera, that we no longer wish to cover up in baggy clothes - but why is that? IT is so we look better and feel better about ourselves, because like it or not, that is what society dictates.

Me personally - right now I am being fuelled by an insane attraction to a man i cannot have. There is a mutual attraction there, nothing will ever come of it, we both know that, but thinking of him fuels me to keep going during those moments when a box of chocs and a greasy burger seem appealing. I WANT him to look at me with LUST to be quite honest (as shallow as that sounds). I want him to see me as a slim attractive person, rather than the morbidly obese woman he has known for 14 years. For now, right now in this time in my life, it is working for me. It is doing me good, I am losing the weight, i feel fantastic, and i look forward to buying a new wardrobe.

So is it for me or for him? Right now I would say both, and i am actually mentally using him to my own selfish benefit as it is doing my mind wonders, and my weight and body. Sod the rest of it, who cares? Losing weight can only be GOOD for health and other reasons, if it is for someone else to keep you going through the hard times, then so what? Because at the end of the day it is ultimately for you, as you live in the body, nobody else does.

Me me me me me I feel much happier now and its all down to me because of me and for me ..... Yes I love that I can run round with my 2 yr old but I think there is only one person you should lose weight for and that's yourself

After getting called fat by two people mine is for me but also to show those people where to shove it! I cant wait for the day they look at me and think 'Wow - she's lost weight'. But its defo mostly for myself and my own self confidence and esteem.

But a good topic - something slimmers should think about. If its not for yourself then it wont last xx

I know a lot of people think this is a bad idea, but I find it's really effective! I know for me, simply aspiring to be stick thin alone would never work.

Obviously I want to lose the weight for myself but also for those around me. That probably sounds really mad but the thing is I'm a different person when I'm heavier than when I'm slim. Over the last few years I've gained nearly 4 stone and I've changed. I'm not the carefree, happy, energetic and enthusiastic person I was. Now I'm more of a grumpy recluse. I often avoid even my best friends if I can because I can't bear what I've become. I've lost so much of my confidence that I'd rather hide away - to the point where I often choose not to go to really nice social events because I can't face it. If I do go I often spend the time comparing myself to other slimmer people and get myself grumpier and grumpier. I owe it to myself and to those poor people around me!

Me, as spending almost 2 years in maternity wear due to 2 very close pregnancies is enough to make me want to wear my old clothes and buy nicer ones, as I plan to weigh less that I did on my wedding day. Strangely enough, it's also so in work I want to look good and slim! (I am surrounded by a female majority and it makes me want to look good)

For my health. Period. I want to avoid cancer and heart disease and believe that I can following the whole food plant based diet. Cancer is in my family so this is a powerful motivator!

I'm losing weight as I want to start trying for a baby and will have to go down the clinical route of IUI and of course it's all about the BMI :rolleyes:

I am doing it for me... and for my OH - we want to become pregnant. Also I need to feel good about myself, and want to live as many years as possible. Im also doing it so when I visit relatives after a long time - They will be surprised at the change, both physically and emotionally - which will be for me a magical moment. I dont think losing weight strictly for anyone else will work... it may for a while - but if its not for you - the one who needs to lose it, and then maintain it... then its just setting yourself up for a fail.

I'm losing weight so I can go in to my favourite clothes shops. Pick something straight off the hanger knowing it will fit!! :)) x

Start 18st. Goal 12st. Currently 16st. 5 1/2lbs.

Myself, and my poor boyfriend who met me when I was skinny.

For myself, i'd love to be able to walk into a clothes shop knowing they'll actually have something that will fit me. I'm currently a size 20, and tend to shop in the plus size section in New Look. Just being able to shop in places like Primark and H&M will make my day.

so many reasons, but i guess health is up there first, i carry my fat around my middle and thats not great is it, then im constantly tired, that annoyes me, i want to have more energy, also i have IBS and i think if i improve my weight and diet that will improve, also i want to wear nice clothes, i havent worn jeans in about 5 years, im sick and tired of carrying arond this weight, i want to be healthy and be around for my daughter for years to come, i dont wanna have a heart atttack, lol, its weird because being fat and happy is what ive been known as for so long that i cant imagain how i will see my self and how others will see me, which is scarey, but being this fat and unhealthy scares me more at the moment.

For myself, for health reasons, to feel attractive... But I've said that for years and done nothing about the problem. This time however I have an amazing long distance relationship as my motivator. I can't wait for him to see the slimmer me everytime I do get to see him.

My weight gain came from being sick. As my health improved, my weight went down. I follow a healthy lifestyle because being sick was nasty. I want to be healthy for me, and for my hubby:)

Lizzie :) said:
I am losing weight for my boyfriend. He had me thin before. Now I am fat. :(
And Myself!! I wanna improve my personality :) :)

I was a lot bigger when I met my hubby and now I'm thinner around 4st thinner its taken some adjustment on his part .... He really did not like the attention I started getting as I looked nicer but he is getting there now

cat yoyo greaves said:
I was a lot bigger when I met my hubby and now I'm thinner around 4st thinner its taken some adjustment on his part .... He really did not like the attention I started getting as I looked nicer but he is getting there now

Yeah... But mine just taunts me day and night.
And i really really wanna make him feel jealous. Coz he annoys me and me gaining attention would burn him lol :D

I think it's natural to take the views of other into consideration, after all, our biggest measure of who we are is taken from the reactions of others. We can feel good about ourselves all we like, but it's naturally to desire affirmation for our successes (though some are louder than others).

I think the way we view ourselves when overweight or obese matters a lot, if we equate our current (or prior) fat selves with unhappiness, it's natural to either be apathetic and hopeless or to want to improve the situation and equate being thinner as happier. Though, I think, so much more than the weight loss is the confidence gained, the coping skills, friends and habits.

Personally, my biggest motivators are quite trite - I want to set a good example to my daughters, and also to my son. My partner is also fit and active, we would like to spend the rest of our lives together, but I have always told him I would never accept a proposal from him until I accomplished two things (a) divorce my first husband [done!] and (b) become more healthy so that we can have the life we want together, going for long walks and bicyling - because I would never commit to a life with someone whose life I couldn't share.

I also felt dead and disappointed inside when I kept allowing myself to accept medicore losses followed by mediocre gains. By challenging myself, I feel more alive.

Back