Who doesn't stay to group?

I can't stay to my group after weigh-in (not a good idea with a 2 year old and 8 month old :p).
I'm just wondering how much difference it makes. I stayed to the first one (complete nightmare with the 2 kids there) and it just seemed to be 90 minutes of discussing each persons weight loss/gain.

I stay to group each week without fail and I love it - I love the social side of it and have made some good friends in my group. I love learning new tricks and ideas and sharing things with them too. I don't think I'd be doing so well if I did n't stay to group. :eek::eek:

I don't tend to stay - usually the friend I go with has go back for her little one, or has little one with her and can't stay. Bit boring for a small child. I have lost 2 1/2 stone, but friend has lost almost 5.

Whether it makes a difference to me whether I stay, all I can say is that when I have stayed in my particular class I don't find it supportive at all - maybe that's just me though. I do know that if I didn't attend if only just to weigh in I would have quit ages ago.

Not much help really - sorry

Last edited:
For me personally weighing at boots is too easy to just say I won't bother this week, and give up. That is why I personally go to weigh in, there is the accountability factor that I need.

I do stay on occasion, but I really do not enjoy my particular class and as all of them in this area are run by the same person and the other class in the next town just isn't practical for me to attend, there isn't really an option to go to class elsewhere.

I have probably joined about 8 slimming groups over the years and the three I stayed for have been the three where I have had the best weight loss so I guess it does help.

I stay every week to this current one and although it is just going round the group talking about each person's weight loss (or gains) you can pick up a lot of tips and give help to others too. Also, you get awarded your stickies to great applause which I find surprisingly motivating - I am hoping to get my 2.5 sticker tonight.

There can also be a (quietly) competitive element which works for me but would not necessarily work for others.

It is nice to chat to other people in the same position and celebrate other peoples loss. One lady in my group has lost 4 stone in about 26 weeks so she gives me huge inspiration and I love to hear how she has done each week.

Perhaps try and stay for half the time? We have ladies who bring children, they tend not to stay every week or even for the whole session sometimes.

Id love to stay, but dont have time, i weigh at lunchtime, but with my job, some days i get a break other times I just have to sneak down there. You commented Happyholidays about why pay £4.95 just to get weighed, me personally I do that, and I think its worth it, I used to weigh myself at boots every friday morning for 50p, so yes a hell of alot cheaper but the scales would breakdown at least twice in a 6 week period, one week i would be one weight, but then id get on again (minutes after the first weigh in) and it would be way way out, you dont get at boots the motivational words of others when your queing up to get weighed, there is still some 'shame' if you put on, so it makes you determined, and you feel like you have a support network around you, even if you dont stay. My group has only just started IT at lunchtime, so its good for those that want to stay, but for me I cant, so you just get on with it you know. :) xxx

I like to stay to class - it's usually good motivation and a bit of a laugh :)

When I used to go to WW (boo hiss!!) I lost 2 stone and I stayed to those classes too.

For me, it makes a difference but for lots of people I know it's not their kind of thing.

I always stay to class, Im on the social team (I weigh people) and I enjoy the class. Ours isnt a big group and usually only a 1/3 stay so sometimes theres only 6 of us but its great, we have a good natter, share ideas, have a rant etc

I personally see it as 'my' time without the children etc and I couldnt justify paying £4.95 to stand on the scales and go home, but thats just me. Im lucky that I have the time to stay each week and understand that some people dont have that time.

xx

I always stay as long as there's not something stopping me.
I enjoy hearing how everyone else is doing and also you sometimes get some good tips on foods n that!
We have some great taster nights as well which give you loadsa new ideas, love it!
xx

I always stay but get a bit embarassed when asked to speak in front of other people about my losses...Daft I know, but I'm quite shy really...

ZXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have losses if i stay to class or not. I used to stay to class but realised i was getting nothing from it. As others have said i need the accountability of WI at class rather than boots but i now use the time i would use at class to get in another gym session which i feel is more beneficial to me than sitting clapping which was all we ever did as the class is so huge.

For me personally weighing at boots is too easy to just say I won't bother this week, and give up. That is why I personally go to weigh in, there is the accountability factor that I need.

Doesn't curiosity just get the better of you? I weigh myself at the gym on a Wednesday, and I have to go even if I've eaten badly because I'm curious to know how much I eat has an effect!

Doesn't curiosity just get the better of you? I weigh myself at the gym on a Wednesday, and I have to go even if I've eaten badly because I'm curious to know how much I eat has an effect!

Oh goodness yes. I am always sneaky peeking (v. naughty I know but hey!:p) especially before I weigh in so I know what I have done. Can brace myself then. I know roughly how different my scales are from class though, and the class ones are the only ones that count weigh in wise. (just as well as mine weigh more!!)

I've only been a member for nearly two weeks. First week the class was just congratulating or not everyone on their losses. Didn't stay last week as I had stuff to do. Will see if I can stay this week but if it's the same as the first week I'm not going to bother going again!

What's Image Therapy?
The class I stayed to didn't do anything bar go through each persons result.
Am dreading tomorrow's weigh in as I'm sure I've gained - been rubbish.
Would like to stay to class but it's too much to ask my 2 year old to stay still for longer than 20 seconds at a time.
The time I stayed I was so stressed by the end of it I just wanted to stuff my face (yep, I'm an emotional eater!!).

What's Image Therapy?
The class I stayed to didn't do anything bar go through each persons result.

Yep that is image therapy. Tips etc., should be forthcoming and perhaps discussions but that is about it in my experience. Others probably have better experiences of it. First time I ever did SW (probs a life time ago) there were team games and things. Not come across that since so don't know whether that has stopped now.

Last edited:
I love going to the class :D the one i go to is a nice size and everyone is so supportive. We are like a little tuesday morning faimly and we do defintly care about each others success :).
As it stand i can't go to class to do summer work. this is the second week that i havn't been able to stay and i am already really missing it.
I think the classes give me a real supprotve boost that keeps me going all week until the next time. :D

Back