Why a VLCD worked for me, and helped me maintain.

KD

Gone fishing
I was thinking about why Cambridge worked for me in the early hours of this morning. Why was it different?
I think it was because it was such a huge project. The difference between writing a few notes down and writing a book. You would perhaps throw your notes away, but would you throw away a book that you had painstakingly put together?

All other diets had been ‘by the way’. They had taken little effort. I had continued with my life as if nothing was really happening. Like just making a few notes. This diet had consumed my every thought and way of life. I had breathed the [strike]smell[/strike], oops the diet.

It’s a bit of a cliché to say ‘taking food out of the equation gives you space to re-evaluate’ but it did work like that. My aims weren’t to get to goal, but to get to the starting point; the place where I could start my life again. Would you go through all that, just to turn away when you get to the starting point in your journey?

I don’t think a day went by when I didn’t think about what I was going to do when I got to goal. Every meeting with my CDC included our thoughts on this. It was rarely about how I was going to cope with the following week, but frequently thoughts on the future.

A VLCD gave me confidence in my body. I had got to the stage where I didn’t think I was going to manage any diet. The weight loss was so slow and the plateaus, so long. I really thought I was the only person in the world who had a body that refused to part with fat.

With Cambridge, I came to the gradual realisation that I was actually going to be a normal person again! It was unbelievable really. I had never thought I would be in that place again. It was that magic wand Okay, it took a lot of effort to shake that wand, but the spell works if I just kept on using it.

Learning about my body. As I worked through the stabilisation, I learnt so much about what worked for me, how my body reacted to things. With other diets, too much was included in the plan. I couldn’t separate one thing from the other. Was it bread that made things worse? Or could it have been the morning cereal? Or the many other things that I had been allowed it eat that day?

Hunger: I know what hunger is, but I also know how little food it takes to control that hunger. Pre Cambridge, I had thought that when I got hungry, it meant things were at a serious point in my body. This led me to believe that nothing under at least 1,000 calories would quench that hunger. I had gone too far. After all, most diets these days say that you shouldn’t be hungry. With Cambridge I saw hunger being quenched with just a small shake.

Anyway. Off soap box now :D

Anyone else add anything to this?

Good post!

For me I am an "all or nothing" person, I either give it 150% or bugger all which is why I found the diet easy.

To me the diet was a challenge, a hill to climb and when I decided I was going to do it then nothing was going to stand in my way or stop me getting to goal weight.

To maintain I still use the "all or nothing" idea because I flatly will not eat stuff at work anymore, I won't eat takeaways in the week, I won't eat McDonalds at all, I won't have a high fat/calorie option when something healthier is available.

And definately the fact you can stand back from food and reevaluate your relationship with it is the key to me to why it worked and also the key to shocking yourself into keeping the weight off by being amazed and frankly disgusted by the way you used to treat your body with food.

great post Karion!

Love this, Keep it going, i am 2lbs away from goal and cant wait to maintain.

One of the biggest things for me was actually believing that I could get out of my box and be someone else. I had been in my "fat" box for so many years that I felt that being fat defined me and was always the first thing people saw.

Then I realise that the fat is merely something on top of you that stops the real you being seen, and when you take off your fat suit and become a healthier person then you can really see what the world thinks of you whether that be good or bad.

Bring it on!!

One of the biggest things for me was actually believing that I could get out of my box and be someone else. I had been in my "fat" box for so many years that I felt that being fat defined me and was always the first thing people saw.

Then I realise that the fat is merely something on top of you that stops the real you being seen, and when you take off your fat suit and become a healthier person then you can really see what the world thinks of you whether that be good or bad.

Bring it on!!

You've never said a truer thing. My whole personality, the way I interact with people has evolved in light of my fat. I was a fat toddler, child and adult.

Going back to what you asid here:

Bring it on!!

Certainly. I am intrigued as to how people will view me and how my relationship with friends, family and society will change once I become slim. Certainly I'm "jolly" and "pretty" but hwo forthcoming will those 'compliments' be once I loose the thing that makes THEM feel comfortable..... we'll see! :)

excellent thread!!! will be keeping an eye on this although just at the moment have nothing really to add :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

love gen

Wow!!! Mike i think you kinda hit the nail on the head for me(i'm pretty crap at analysing myself).Only problem with me is i dont think i've reached the belief bit yet that i can climb out of my fat box, being fat defines who i am to so many people for so many years that i'm really unsure what the reaction would be if i manage to cast off the fat suit. I often wonder if i will be resentful to people who suddenly show an interest in me when i was invisible to them before?
So what has a VLCD done for me? its helping me to analyse who i am and what i want but.........i still need the belief in myself that i can be that person and stop sabotaging myself and no one else through fear of the unknown cos i really think thats what i'm doing. When i think of the things i have managed to get through and rise above in my life this should be a walk in the park really!! So for me right now its onwards and upwards and trying to have that belief in myself i know its doable its just succeeding in doing it.

Maisie x x

Brilliant Post Karion and great response Icemoose.

I have to say Icemoose that reading your blog originally is what made me believe that this diet could work for me.

am on day 19........ - when I started I said I would give it 3 weeks. At the end of week 2 I said I am deffo going to give it til Christmas......now I am saying I will see where I am in March. Did a calculation last night and best case scenario I will be seeing where I am in April !!!

x

Bettyboo

Hiya Betty

The funny thing is that the next few months will go SO very quickly, after the first couple of weeks you start to ride the compliments all the way to being skinny.

I mean April is no time at all away!! By the start of Wimbledon you will literally be half the person you are now.

M.

I know......I am getting a new car in March and having just ordered it I was thinking ohmigod I will be at least 7 stone lighter when I collect it..........its mad.

As for the compliments..........people are saying 'did you get your hair cut.........you look different.........LOL !!

x

Bettyboo

Yes but that becomes more and more fun!!

I know I am a saddo but after the first few weeks of the diet I absolutely loved it!!

Buying smaller clothes, everyone complimenting me, wasn't hungry, felt great and I met you lot on here -- why wouldn't you enjoy it!

M.

Back