Green Days Why am I gaining weight?

KittyKatKayl

My body is a temple ...
Hi everyone,

First of all sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I only joined on monday, so I'm not sure how this all works yet.

Basically I've been doing green days since monday and instead of losing weight I've gained .25 lb ... I know it is not much of a gain BUT it is still a gain. Since November I've gone from 145 lbs to 161 lbs, for which I blame the injection (depo) It is still in my system for 5 weeks so I don't know whether that has something to do with it.

I've been eating mostly free foods, in 4 days only had 8.5 syns (sports drink & 4 haribo sweets) and I exercise daily for 1-2 hrs depending on the day (which I've been doing for 7 months now, with sunday as my rest day) I've been trying to follow fad diets for basically 3 months, but after each ends I gained it all back (plus more) without even eating junk (I've basically lived of fruit & veg the whole time) So not sure whether that would have made any difference?

Any advice would be great because I feel so down about the all the weight I've gained so I want to do something about it (healthy this time though)

love & light

P.s I drink alot of water daily.:confused:

Also have you been having your healthy extras and seriously eat your syns it works. Just re read the post its been 4 days your body weigth fluctuates by about 2-3lbs everyday so make sure you weigh at the same time and if you can jst weigh every week

Hi!
Firstly, wait until your week is over before before making judgement, you may find you have lost come Monday.

As far as depo goes....is that definitely the cause of your weight gain? I was on depo for years and successfully lost weight while on it. I'm not saying it's not the reason just that it shouldn't be a barrier for weight loss.

As far as gaining on green goes, loads of people do really well on it but also loads of people find it doesn't work so well for them. My consultant always says if you are doing green you need loads of extra water and make sure you don't neglect veg and just eat bowls and bowls of pasta!

I'm sure once you get into it you'll do fine!

So far this week I've had ...

Monday:

Breakfast: Quorn, beans & carb, tea with soya milk (HXA)
Lunch: Veg soup & couscous salad
Snacks: fruit, cups of tea with soya milk (HXA)
Dinner: Pasta & veg

Tuesday:

Breakfast: Quorn, beans & couscous
Lunch: Veg & egg, egg noodles
Snacks: Fruit & soya beans, cups of tea with soya milk (HXA)
Dinner: homemade Sweet chilli Tuna (HXB) & bean salad

Wednesday:

Breakfast: Rice pudding (soya milk HXA)
Lunch: Tuna (HXB), bean & bulgar wheat salad
Snacks: Fruit
Dinner: Mushy pea curry & rice

Thursday:

Breakfast: Rice pudding (soya milk HXA)
Lunch: Pasta & salad dish
Snacks: Fruit, & mid afternoon a mini veg & quorn stir-fry (using dry-fry)
Dinner: left over Mushy pea curry & SW chips

Friday:
Breakfast: Mushroom omlette, quorn sausages, beans

And that is it for now.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

First of all sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I only joined on monday, so I'm not sure how this all works yet.

Basically I've been doing green days since monday and instead of losing weight I've gained .25 lb ... I know it is not much of a gain BUT it is still a gain. Since November I've gone from 145 lbs to 161 lbs, for which I blame the injection (depo) It is still in my system for 5 weeks so I don't know whether that has something to do with it.

I've been eating mostly free foods, in 4 days only had 8.5 syns (sports drink & 4 haribo sweets) and I exercise daily for 1-2 hrs depending on the day (which I've been doing for 7 months now, with sunday as my rest day) I've been trying to follow fad diets for basically 3 months, but after each ends I gained it all back (plus more) without even eating junk (I've basically lived of fruit & veg the whole time) So not sure whether that would have made any difference?

Any advice would be great because I feel so down about the all the weight I've gained so I want to do something about it (healthy this time though)

love & light

P.s I drink alot of water daily.:confused:

First of all don't weigh yourself every day - your weight fluctuates daily by as much as 7lb and unless you are storng minded enough to forget what the scales say, ieally messes with your mind (as you are finding)

Secondly, use your syns - a minimum of 5 every day - it will not affect your losses

Thirdly, your body will take time to adjust to normal eating if you have been excluding whole food groups before starting SW

Most importantly, don't give up! You wouldn't expect to be fluent in a foreign language after just a couple of days and it is the same with SW.

Hiya kitty! If I do all green days I gain! Some people just don't seem to have the tolerance for it. I do 5 days of red, the other 2 either ee or green. After I have carbs I can feel really bloated. Even on mainly red my losses are slow. Also depends if you ate as many carbs before I guess... Upping it could lead to a gain in first week. I think that u would lose after a few weeks and some people say that happens but I'm too impatient and wary to wait and see :-D Good luck and let us know how you get on xxx

Forgot to say.... A few days in isn't really a gage as weight varies sooo much over a few days. I'd give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes! And try not to weigh every day Hun xxxx

Hi Kitty. I am a green girl too and I love it!

Looking at your diary, I would say that you are not eating all your healthy extras. You get 2 hebs on green. Also, not enough syns and the ones you have had you are not recording. Not always sure what kind of quorn you are eating. Be aware that not all quorn is free and not all egg noodles are free.

Stick at it as it does work. Good luck!

I was gonna say that some days you're missing B's completely, or only seem to be having one. Also, you need to have 5 syns minimum.

I have to have mostly Red days, too many carbs always stalls my weight loss. I try and have 4-5 red days and green or EE days for the rest so I don't get bored.

Thanks for your replies everyone, just got home from the gym.

The quorn I used was free and on the egg noodle packet it just said ingredients, Egg & salt... should that not be OK?

Is it really important to eat your HXB? I'm not really a meat eater and I try to avoid bread because it makes me want to binge on it (I LOVE BREAD)

I guess I'm just a bit concerned because I'm eating more then I ever have in months, in during those months of eating basically no carb (apart from fruit) I gained 17 lbs, so naturally I'm scared that I'm just going to blow up even more!

As far as syns are concerned, how come it is so important to eat them?

Sorry for the million questions!

There are lots of discussions on why the syns are so important - there's a thread sticked on this bit of the forum that I found quite interesting - but it does seem to be very much part of it (it's an eating plan for life, not a diet, and you're not going to not eat fat, sugar, oil, etc, etc for the rest of your life).

There are lots of things you could have for your HExB - cereal, several cereal bars (the kellogs Fibre plus are very popular as they've got chocolate in them and are nommy ;)) and if you're not having them you're missing out on insoluble fibre and their filling value.

It looks, from what you've said in your thread, that you've not recorded everything you've eaten - maybe you could do out a day of everything you've put in your mouth and people could take a wee read over it and check it's okay? It does take a little bit of getting your head around. Are you doing Green days rather than EE for a particular reason? If you're a bit anxious about carbs EE might suit you a bit better and I see you eat fish which you can have most of for free.

/salute to the fellow Wirralian!

I can only agree with the others. Up your syns and up your hexs! I wouldnt worry about 1/4 lb gain at this point. You are only a few days in. Your body may be adjusting, and it is very common to get a bit "bunged up" as you change your diet, it could just be something as simple as that.

Keep at it, you'll see a difference very soon.

Oh good it was dry ones that I had :eek:)
I have actually named everything I eat because I keep a diary of every food intake I have (for my doctor due to migraines) I list fruit as general but i do eat a few pieces a day.

I think I might do a few days of EE soon to see if there is a difference, I very rarely have fish but could up it for EE. The tuna I had this week was a tin between both days.

I guess from reading other peoples stories that I just need to give the plan a proper go before I get scared off. Hopefully after a full week or two I will see a loss :eek:)

xxx

Agree with what the others have said. Definately up your syns, it is important you have them, especially when only starting up on the SW healthy eating plan.

The minimum you should be having a day is 5, but depending on how much you have to lose , you should definately start at nearer the maximum of 15 a day. The syns are what you can adjust as you get nearer to goal when weight loss may slow down, if you have started off with very little, you have nothing to adjust. Also your syns are there to still allow you to have that special treat, so that pretty much any food is allowed in moderation.

Healthy Extra's are important too, you get 2 HEa's and 2 HEb's on a Green day. They are there to make sure you are getting the daily Calcium and Fibre intake.

Basically Slimming World is about food optimising using Free Foods, Healthy Extras and Syns.

You should try to avoid weighing yourself inbetween your week too, as others have said, weight can fluctuate massively, so you may not even have a gain.

At the same time though if you are worried, I would recommend starting a food diary in the food diary section on here and write down everything you have in a day, that way members can check for you and pick up on any areas you might be going wrong.

Either way SW really does work whether it be Green, Original or Extra Easy plan you follow.

Good luck!!

Oh good it was dry ones that I had :eek:)
I have actually named everything I eat because I keep a diary of every food intake I have (for my doctor due to migraines) I list fruit as general but i do eat a few pieces a day.

I think I might do a few days of EE soon to see if there is a difference, I very rarely have fish but could up it for EE. The tuna I had this week was a tin between both days.

I guess from reading other peoples stories that I just need to give the plan a proper go before I get scared off. Hopefully after a full week or two I will see a loss :eek:)

xxx

Good attitude :D

You don't have to have bread or meat as your B's...you can have cereal for breakfast or ryvitas for lunch. I've been having a crispbread called "Finn Crisp", you get six for one HEB and they're lovely with some light cheese triangles on and little slices of red pepper or quorn ham etc... You can also have some stewed or dried fruits as HEB too or a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for chips or roasties is a HEB as well. Have a reread of your food optimising book, theres lots of choices for HEB's.
Try and incorporate a few syns into your plans too. I don't use mine for treats or anything, you can use them as part of your meals...a bit of ketchup with sw chips or some extra light mayo (both 1 syn per tablespoon) or a highlights hot choc in the evening (2 syns), gravy over veg (veg bisto 3 syns per 140ml) etc...just little things to add some flavour to meals is nice.

Hi
I reiterate what all these good people have said.

What I found when I first started was that I found something i liked and I stuck with it - i didn't have enough variety in my diet.

You should be eating your HEx - I personally wouldn't be able to do this plan if i didn't have them to be honest. But i do have cereal, alpen light bars, scan bran/ryvetas and of course the wonderful laughing cow triangles...!!

You'll get your head around it!! You'll be fine. Don't weigh again - that's v. naughty! lol

Good luck lovely!!

Lx

Back