:( Why are Gyms so expensive

Sariefarie

Just logged on to join my local gym at the end of this month my friend said its £36 a month which I can get discount on as our work has a 5% discount on memberships so its £31 which to me is still a lot of money but I need to do this.

So i set it up got to the payment page and they want £30 admin fee and £15 for something else and then the base £36 (as I need to take in a payslip before I can get the discount) but that all adds up to £81 just to join its maddening! I couldn't afford that now im stuck in a rut as I'm not comfortable enough to just go outside for a run I do a lot of walking anyway but I need something that's really going to get my body a workout.

I don't know what to do. I feel like im on the verge of tears as I'm so fed up of trying and failing :'(

Just logged on to join my local gym at the end of this month my friend said its £36 a month which I can get discount on as our work has a 5% discount on memberships so its £31 which to me is still a lot of money but I need to do this.

So i set it up got to the payment page and they want £30 admin fee and £15 for something else and then the base £36 (as I need to take in a payslip before I can get the discount) but that all adds up to £81 just to join its maddening! I couldn't afford that now im stuck in a rut as I'm not comfortable enough to just go outside for a run I do a lot of walking anyway but I need something that's really going to get my body a workout.

I don't know what to do. I feel like im on the verge of tears as I'm so fed up of trying and failing :'(

Hi, I agree joining a gym is very expensive. I think I have to pay £28.95 per month but I have cancelled my membership now. It just depends on what you want to pay for. My local gym does not have a swimming pool, but some gym can go up to £50 per month. Why don't you look for a gym with no joining fee that should lessen your gym fees a bit.

Its ridiculous government should step in they want people to lose weight and be healthy they should not let them charge that much!!

As far as I know there are 2 gyms where I am but they both belong to the company Halo Leisure as do the nearest gyms in neighboring towns, but I will dig around and ask if there are others, hopefully somewhere will actually want to help people rather than just make some money.

I wasn't bothered about having a pool but if theres one its a plus.

I know it's ridiculous :( if you have a look online you might be able to find a cheap gym around you somewhere! As a student I pay £22pm and there was a £15 joining fee, not too bad really as includes classes, swimming pool and a fitness instructor for 4 sessions to personalise your workout. That's a leisure centre gym.

I agree the prices are rediculous, you can get a gym here for £18 a week but its always jam packed and you have to Q for equipment. I cant justify spending that much on a gym just now. You dont NEED to go to the gym, you can buy an exercise bike or treadmill (i got a manual treadmill off gumtree for £20)

you don't even have to have exercise bikes and treadmills - there are some brilliant fitness DVDs around that are hard work that guarantee results.

Well I have a treadmill a manual one but I don't know its silly I find it hard to use. I have recently gotten that Josie Gibson 30 second slim I have yet to give it a try as it was delivered to my parents instead of here and not been able to pick it up yet, hopefully will Thursday!

I think I crave that extra support which is silly, I have decided to go with my friend swimming a few times a week as I can pay when I go rather than be a member.

There's a company called 'The Gym' which charge from £15 (depending on location). Really nice facilities and open 24/7 :) Good luck and like the others have said you don't 'need' a gym :)

Well I have a treadmill a manual one but I don't know its silly I find it hard to use. I have recently gotten that Josie Gibson 30 second slim I have yet to give it a try as it was delivered to my parents instead of here and not been able to pick it up yet, hopefully will Thursday!

I think I crave that extra support which is silly, I have decided to go with my friend swimming a few times a week as I can pay when I go rather than be a member.

Is it an uphill treadmill, my manual one is tilted up the way, only a small bit, but its really difficult to go on. I hadn't realised uphil was so difficult, was dissapointed that I can only manage 10 mins at a time. BUT - if it is uphill, less time doing uphill burns more cals than longer time on a straight/normal treadmill

Agree about the DVD's too.

:)

Gyms are quite expensive. Im currently trying to join the local council gym. I think its around £28 a month for concession and off peak. Still expensive!
I find if i have exercise equipment or DVD's at home i always think 'Oh i'll do it later..... i'll do it tonight... it's too late, I'll definitely do it tomorrow etc etc' and it never gets done!
If im paying nearly £30 a month for a gym, then i'll shift my lard arse and get as much use as possible out of it!

I thought that joining a gym would motivate me because of the money it cost me and I wouldnt want to waste it but it didn't work out for me. I just ended up feeling guilty for not going when I should have and wasting the money on top of that!

I agree that they are too expensive and even the local authority one near me is pricey.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get a gp referral. I have a 12 week membership to a 'healthy living centre' which has a gym which I can use up to 3 times a week completely free. Only drawback is its Monday - Friday between 8 and 4. Some gp's refer to private gyms though

I have joined the local authority gym on G.P referral and its only costing me £33 for 16 weeks after that I think it will be about the 26-28 a month mark. I am thinking that its less money to spend on crappy treats and booze. I also know that some Loc.Auth. gyms have price reductions for companies that are affiliated, mine aren't but that's worth checking too.

Back