why are they so mean!

Hmmmm, kinda contradicts the message of it being a long-term healthy eating plan though... rather than a diet! x

Not really becuase if you're already at a healthy weight then in all likelihood you're eating healthily already.

Not really becuase if you're already at a healthy weight then in all likelihood you're eating healthily already.

I disagree, I know a lot of people who have very unhealthy eating habits who are a "healthy" or "normal" weight.

Take the TV show "supersize vs superskinny" for an extreme example! x

Hello!
First time poster here!
Started Slimming World last week as several friends have had such good results with it and I have post-baby weight to lose ready for my wedding in just over a years time.
I, too, went to a group and I was all happy and ready to start my slimming journey and because I dont look huge (although according to my BMI I am considered obese at 16st9lb, 5ft7in) one of the other women decided to ask me why I was joining!
I dont know if they were just clicky because I was the newbie but it has put me off going to group again and I may just join online instead.
:(

Hello!
First time poster here!
Started Slimming World last week as several friends have had such good results with it and I have post-baby weight to lose ready for my wedding in just over a years time.
I, too, went to a group and I was all happy and ready to start my slimming journey and because I dont look huge (although according to my BMI I am considered obese at 16st9lb, 5ft7in) one of the other women decided to ask me why I was joining!
I dont know if they were just clicky because I was the newbie but it has put me off going to group again and I may just join online instead.
:(

I guess groups do get a bit clicky, my group all sit in a circle and theres three of us that sit on the outside who joined 4 weeks ago, it happens. But this is YOUR SW journey and you can't let others affect that! I for one know if I wasn't going to weigh in every week I would not stick to plan half as much!

Nope definitely not just you, and when a girl walked in a few weeks ago someone said to her 'why do you come here' and she felt inclined to tell them she'd put a few poundso n and wanted to lose on her bum - its noones business but yours! I will definitley still go to group when i've reached target as Im doing sw not to just lose weight but to stay in control x

Some people can be so nosey can't they! If anyone asks me why I am there when I go to my meeting I'll look around a bit and whisper "this is the scientology meeting, right?"

Actually no I wont, don't want people thinking I'm a bit loopy :p (no offence to any scientology followers intended)

Aren't we allowed to insult Scientology followers? Damn, that's my next planned "off topic" thread out of the window.

Insulting Scientologists is one of my favourite pastimes. Having to explain what it was to my mum last weekend was such a treat - I got to dust down my soapbox and everything :D

A few weeks ago a new lady joined my group and on her first image therapy she said to another member "not being funny but I don't think you need to be here love". I don't think she meant it in a nasty way, the member in question is almost at target and some people have no filter between their brain and their gob.

I agree Snozzberry, people dont have that filter, the thing is, i suppose its something they've learned from childhood - to say what they like, when they like. So those people on the other end of the nasty/missguided comments should just ignore them and keep doing what they're doing so long as they believe it is good for them.

Some people can be so nosey can't they! If anyone asks me why I am there when I go to my meeting I'll look around a bit and whisper "this is the scientology meeting, right?"

Actually no I wont, don't want people thinking I'm a bit loopy :p (no offence to any scientology followers intended)

Ha ha ha! That would be brilliant!

In reality we live ina free country and if someone other than a police officer is asking you what you're doing somewhere (and even then you don't legally have to tell the police officer!), tell them to bog off and mind their own business!

I personally still go because I have friends there ( closer to family really.. ) and I want to be able to inspire others when the consultant introduces me to the new members and tells them I've lost 17st, just like I was inspired when he did the same for me my first night by introducing Vicky who had lost 15st at the time ( 8st at home alone with just the mag, and went on to also lose 17st.. ) .

Its not a huge group being the late Thursday one but now you mention it we do seem to be a bit cliquey..

How about we all agree to split up our cliques and sit next to a newbie or someone we don't really know very well this week.. ?

I do have ladies in the group that I always talk before the talk starts however I do also make sure I recognise any new members from the previous couple of weeks and at least say hello. Some really want to tell you how they got on and some are really quiet. If I go to a different meeting for one reason or another I always sit next to somebody and speak to them. I remember how it felt when I first started.

I wish I had gone to sw when I had lbs to lose instead of stones. Most of these people ore a bit jealous is my opinion.

Those of us who go to group go for a reason, that reason has varying sizes and lengths of time but doesn't mean it's any less valid than the next persons!

one of my close friends and her mum go, friend wants to lose the 14lbs she gained since her wedding in 2012 and her mum 1st 7lbs. To me they are slim, they wear size 12 or a small 14 very occasionally. They are there because they aren't happy and are shedding the lbs that THEY want to.

if anyone says that to you again then they should realise it's your journey and it's personal.

I got to target in January and still go to group every week. This is because I think maintaining is actually harder (both mentally and physically) than loosing and I need the support of the group to help me. I lost 6st in the last year and no one is going to stop me keeping that off. SW is for every one who needs help - maybe the person just needs educating in that. I'm now pregnant and will continue to go to group every week to ensure that I'm not turning back to old habits and when this baby comes my return journey to target is as short as possible.

Don't ever feel guilty about going to group - it's there to help whoever needs it - new members wouldn't do so well if there wasn't experts staying that could help them!

I'm another target member and I've been going every week since I started in June 2013. I reached target in mid October (1 stone 6 1/2lbs) and I know if I didn't go and get weighed every week I'd be out of control!!
At our group there are about 8 target members who are regular attenders and to be honest the group seem to feel good to have us there as an example that it can be done. Our consultant always asks if we're wearing our target member badges too!
I was asked to be the 'meet & greet' member and also help out with weighing members and the computer side when necessary.

Back